*NO* Super Street Fighter 2 'Dee Jay's Dancin''

Liontamer

Contact Information:

ReMixer name (band name): The Runaway Five

Real Name (band members): Brendan McElroy, Brendan Swanson, Alex Goodman, Matt MacLean, Spencer Cheyne, Brent Mah

Email Address: brendanmcelroy@therunawayfive.com

Userid: 25789

Submission Information:

Game: Super Street Fighter 2

Song: Dee Jay's Theme

Remix Title: Dee Jay's Dancin

Additional comments: Arranged by: Brendan McElroy (December 2008). Performed by: Brendan McElroy (Bass), Alex Goodman (Guitar), Brendan Swanson (Piano), Spencer Cheyne (Drums); Featuring: Matt MacLean (Trumpet), Brent Mah (Alto Sax), Brett McDonald (Tenor Sax), Sarah Matheson (Baritone Sax). Mixed and recorded live at The Beat Niq Jazz and Social Club (January 3, 2009) by Spencer Cheyne at Crossover studios. Produced by Brendan McElroy.

A tribute to one of Street Fighter's underrated characters; I hope you all like it! A couple things I'll be changing (after listening back to the recording), however, it's live so there's nothing I can do. :P I'll be working on expanding this arrangment to a full big band soon enough. Also, I'll be trying to keep ontop of these submissions; hopefully OCRemix will be seeing a whole lot more of us.

Brendan McElroy

The Runaway Five

www.therunawayfive.com

www.myspace.com/therunawayfive2

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/10295 - "Dee Jay Stage"

Performance should have been tighter, but it was solid enough; good energy. Breakdown of where I could pick out the source:

:38-1:10, 1:12-1:13.5, 1:18-1:19.5, 2:01.75-2:16, 3:24.5-3:26, 4:19-4:35, 4:37-5:12

The track was 5:13-long and that was about 106.25 seconds or about 34% of the track. There were some sections like :23-:37, 2:35-2:46 where the supporting instrumentation had a similar feel to the original, but just chord progressions it seems.

Issue again like the previous FF6 submission is that there's too much liberal comping at the expense of explicitly using the source tune. I'm never gonna pass anything with the source tune less than 50% of the track.

No hate on the track, and during a live performance, I'm sure y'all are just going in whatever direction the music's taking you. But, again, to be good to go for OCR, it needs to incorporate the actual theme more. Looking forward to your next one, guys!

NO

Gotta go with Larry. Deejay's stage is not a particularly unique chord progression to begin with, and too much of this is just soloing over it, and some of the time I can't even hear that. Needed more usage of the melodies to achieve dominant source usage. A stellar arrangement and performance, but it's not suitable for OCR. Sorry. :sad:

NO

It's too bad really, just like your previous submission this is one fantastic piece of music. However it's not primarily an arrangement of video game music. There's not anything wrong with that but it's not what OCR is about.. I urge you to write some arrangement involving a liiittle less solos and some more recognizable arrangement of the source. I'd love to see some kind of version of this on OCR though, because well, it's freaking awesome.

NO