*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Magicite Mayhem'

Liontamer

If our previous submission was accepted, please add the name “Brent Mah” to the band members list. He is a recent addition to our group. I’ll be submitting tunes every three weeks so I hope you like them! There all live recordings and are usually with different people playing on each one. There is a “set version” of our group, but it plays together only when we’re in the same city. This members listed in the band members section are the instrumentalists that will be used for out debut CD. The performers on each track submitted will be listed in the write-up.

Take care,

Brendan McElroy

The Runaway Five

www.therunawayfive.com

Contact Information:

ReMixer name (band name): The Runaway Five

Real Name (band members): Brendan McElroy, Brendan Swanson, Alex Goodman, Matt MacLean, Brent Mah, Spencer Cheyne

Email Address: brendanmcelroy@therunawayfive.com

Userid: 25789

Submission Information:

Game: Final Fantasy VI

Song: Desicive Battle

Remix Title: Magicite Mayhem

Additional comments: Arranged by: Brendan McElroy (August 2008). Performed by: The Runaway Five: Brendan McElroy (Bass), Brendan Swanson (Piano), Spencer Cheyne (Drums) (excluding The Runaway Five members; Alex Goodman (Guitar), Matt Maclean (Trumpet), and Brent Mah (Saxophones)). Mixed and recorded live at The Beat Niq Jazz and Social Club (August 20th, 2008) by Spencer Cheyne at Crossover studios. Produced by Brendan McElroy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "The Decisive Battle" (ff6-124.spc)

The track was 6:06 long, so that means I need more than 183 seconds' worth of source usage so that it's present more than 50% of the time. If you do comping and freestyling more than you use the theme, that's not enough of a tribute to the theme IMO.

That said, here's where I heard the theme in play: :20-:42, :49-1:15, 4:20-4:42, 5:32-5:57. That's about 95 seconds, or about 25.96%. Basically "The Decisive Battle" is bookending all original material. Sorry guys, no dice. Source material usage has to be the dominant (for me, >50%) part of the arrangement; that's what the site's here for. Even if I'm missing something huge, and I'm open to other POVs, I don't think it's gonna bring up the source usage anywhere near dominant.

Looking forward to your next sub though guys. I definitely enjoyed this one a lot, even though it falls outside our standards. Keep kicking ass!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Great playing, good recording (although what's with the left-panned piano?) and a good blend of crowd noise. Fantastic soloing and improv.

Too bad there's not enough Decisive Battle here..

I can hear it at 0:20-1:15, 4:22-5:57 and then I'm counting the syncopated chords during the drumsolo and as a transition as source usage.

You're talanted musicians and I'm sure you could work in some more source usage in your performances. Subtle hints to the melody in the solos, backing instruments arranging a melody but with a "jazzier" chord structure during a piano solo and just.. more source in general.

I'd love to see some submissions from you were the focus lies both on your skill as musicians AND the original piece of music. Then you would make OCR history. I enjoyed this sub, but it's just too liberal for our standards.

NO

These two have said it all. Unlike another jazz arrangement we passed about a year ago that had a lot of improv, this one loses even the chords of the original during the improv sections, so you've got no connection to the original for about 75% of this. I love the performances and the ambient crowd noise, and I think your sections that play with the rhythm of the original melodies are magnificent. I wish more of it had been that way so I could pass this durn thing. Still hope to see more subs from you guys in the future.

NO