CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 13: Last Stand

Abadoss

CMC: Conceptual Music Competition

abadoss-CMC.jpg

This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).

The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is.

Feel free to be imaginative!

Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 14, was "Washed Away" and the winner, Charlie, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so he won. Charlie then gets to decide the theme for CMC 15.

This competition is open to registered members of the forums of

OverClocked ReMix, VGMix, Ormgas, VGMusic, Gaming World, and Young Composers.

CMC13-forums.jpg

CMC 13: Last Stand

"You and your group of warriors are surrounded. There is no surrender. Morale is low, but you decide to cheer them on. This final battle is all or nothing; it is either victory or utter defeat." -Blue.Nocturne

Results!:

There are 7 entries for this round...

HoboKa - "Final Retaliation"

• "This song is set in a modern world, where an army is being bombarded by overwhelming odds of a fascist regime. The commander realizes that he and his troops will be wiped out before the next sunrise. But surrender is not an option, thus he prepares a final charge. Rather, a final retaliation."

Blue.Nocturne - "March to Victory"
  • "Starting off with a simple march, the soldiers get ready to battle. They are nervous, yet they are ready. There is great uncertainty in survival, but there is a lot of hope. As the great battle goes on many are lost, yet many survive. When all seems lost, the courage of the group manages to persevere. Pushing all that they have into a final attack, they do their best to win the fight. Their efforts have not gone in vain, and they are victorious."

glenji2k4 - "Final Desperation"

• "You and your band of warriors, weary from a long fight, seek solace and retreat in a mountain clearing only to find that your nemesis and and arch-rival has been expecting you there. He appears to be alone and unarmed and offers a truce, but something just doesn't seem right. As soon as you turn your head you realize that you were set up for an ambush, orcs and humans alike wielding swords and spears but only 20 yards away. You brandish your sword and turn to strike your opponent, yet he has vanished. Not to worry, he has sent one of his trusted generals to meet you in combat. A fierce battle ensues as you fight through the horde, making your way to their leader, your final enemy. You are severely outnumbered and fatigued, yet with each successful kill inklings of hope well up from inside of you. After many encounters you finally catch up to your enemy and this time it is all or nothing. Everything will be resolved, for better or for worse, after this battle. You grab up your last ounce of will to draw your sword for perhaps the last time."

Alex Smith - "2052"
  • "The year is 2052. The world's social order has collapsed after the Third World War in 2044. There is no East or West. There are no continents. Only one lonely island survived the nuclear warfare that destroyed the world in 6 days: Great Britain.
    Over the course of 8 years numerous self-proclaimed Governments have taken hold across the island; each seizing control over an area of land. These so-called 'Governments' have built up their own personal armies, through recuiting local mobs to their cause.
    You, the leader of the gang known as 'The Warriors' have recently pledged allegiance to the most powerful Government in the south-east of the island. You have heard that the rival gangs in your locality are attempting to overthrow this Government in an attempt to establish their own.
    ---
    0:00 - 0:24: You and a handful of your gang embark on a routine patrol of your area. Everything appears normal at first. However, as you walk you begin to feel something is not right.
    0:24 - 0:34: Your fears are confirmed. Homes around you have a distinct black mark painted on their doors - the symbol of 'The Python Society', your greatest rivals and an infamous group of gangs determined to overthrow your Government.
    0:34 - 0:42: You see darkly clad mobs approaching from every side in the distance. You command your own militia to take up arms and prepare for battle.
    0:42 - 0:50: You shout a few last words as the enemy closes in.
    0:50 - 0:54: They are almost a heartbeat away. You raise your weapon, waiting for the onslaught.
    0:54 - 1:01: Suddenly they stop, feet away from you. You are surrounded with no means of escape. Certain death.
    1:01 - 1:36: The silence is broken by distant music sung by a choir. The song being sung is an old one. It is an anthem said to have been written before the war... happier times indeed. As the choir sing you are struck with warmth and honour. As the music fades away, you face your small force and rally them one last time to defend their home from their greatest enemy.
    1:36 - 1:58: With strengthened morale you and your gang prepare to charge out in all directions. The intensity increases until...
    1:58 - 2:32: Both sides clash. The fight begins. You are outnumbered but are prepared to fight for your lives.
    2:32 - 2:54: The enemy start to disperse, but it is not over yet. You and your militia see this as an opportunity to pull back to the garrison while the enemy lines are broken. You run through the night and can hear the enemy behind in the distance.
    2:54 - 3:07: Sounds of the enemy become inaudible but you dare not turn around. You keep your gang moving swiftly homebound. The Government must know of the Pythons' movements if it is to survive."

James Householder IV - "Todesmarsch"

• "An army marches on, men and women, and even children.... a whole populace making its way towards it's own end, the violence and brutality they will face weighed on each and every one of their minds. Whether they live or die doesn't matter, the only thing on the line is their pride. Their town was burnt to the ground in the night as they slept, nothing remained. Some were lucky to still have their lives. The barbarians still surrounded the land, stationed at intervals and out of sight over the hills. The only thing the villagers had left was a chance to go down with a fight, if at least it would show their glory as a final homage to their lost home. It is just that that their elder said as they rested for the night by campfire. He sang. A warm hymn, the last music they would hear before they trudged solemnly but assuredly on into their last stand, off into the distance, blazened against the morning's dawning sun."

Elan Hickler - "Tomorrow's Hope"
  • "0:00 - 0:22 A massive army of beasts and war machines march toward the city.
    0:22 - 0:53 It's all or nothing. The good guys desparately prepare themselves to defend their people.
    0:53 - 1:25 The war machines fire large boulders, the beasts charge. Our friends stand their ground. 'FIRE!' Arrows fly across the sky raining on top of the beasts. The boulders destroy the wall.
    1:25 - 2:00 (Before the happy part ends) Our heroes skillfully cut beasts down like massive trees. Victory is just on the horizon!
    2:00 - 2:30 Oh no! Suddenly another evil army comes out of nowhere! Our heroes are surrounded! There's no hope. Everyone dies. :D
    :: The Camera switches to the story-teller ::
    2:30 - 3:32 'Long ago in the hills of Takontis there was a great war. Your forefathers fought the evil Gidious-Kan. Hopeless, everyone fled the city. Most of the retreaters were killed in vain. However, some of them managed to escape. The few survivors built this secret community in this underground cave we live in now...'"

Numegil - "This is the End"

• "In this song, I tried to fit the mood of a group of warriors, who were in a conflict with some other, more formidable, force for some time. Both forces have finally met together in full, and the climactic battle is inevitable. The outcome of the battle to come will determine the fate of both forces for some time to come. I guess the group of warriors in question could be considered the "good guys", like from some kind of historic movie or something, with the other side being stronger, but more immoral (Lord of the Rings, 300, Braveheart, etc.) The warriors mentally prepare themselves for battle, and remember all of the past time they spent fighting that led them up to this point."

Voting Rules!:
  • Voters will be allowed to pick a first place (3 points) and any number of honorary mentions (1 point). Only one set of votes from any one voter will be accepted and a person cannot vote for any one piece more than once. Corrections to votes, from the original voter only, will be accepted, but corrections will void the previous votes. Basically, a voter can vote and correct the vote, but only the final form of that vote will be counted. Send all votes to
Abadoss by PM. Please include any and all constructive critiques (not to be confused with bashing) about them with your votes as well, so that there's always a sense of growth in the artform. If you wish to remain anonymous, just state so in your PM. Thanks.

• The voting period will last from the moment the entries are posted in the thread to the Saturday of that week. The voting period for this round ends November 10, so be sure to spend some time really listening to the pieces.

• Any participant in the competition can vote, but not for their own pieces. However, in an effort to encourage voting among participants, any participant who votes will have 2 points added to their voting score.

Official Rules!:

1. Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
  2. Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
  3. Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
  4. A link to the entry piece must be PMed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD! However, feel free to post in the WIP:Other forum.
  5. Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
    (For example, if Rachel Sanchez submits a piece called "Far Out in Strawberry Fields" to CMC 19, then her filename would be: Rachel_Sanchez_-_Far_Out_in_Strawberry_Fields_CMC19.mp3)
  6. MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
  7. Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
  8. All entries must be submitted by Saturday, November 3, 2007 at 11:59 PM - PST, GMT-8.

You can find the competition threads for each forum listed below:

Good luck and have fun! :D

Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/CMC.htm

I'm freekin... divided within myself about doing this.

I really want to do it because I think I can win.... :D

But anyway the problem is I really want to compose with a keyboard which is coming soon (possible not in time for the CMC though). I haven't composed with a keyboard for like two years because I've been waiting for the CME UF80 to exist..... soooo hopefully...

OH GOOD NEWS! I'm not getting a keyboard at all! Lol, CME UF80 won't be available for a long time. I only thought I'd be getting it because these fools at PSSL.com lied to me on two different occasions about it.

Anyway, that means I can't wait for a keyboard but I must attempt this CMC.

attempt if you dare ;)....not that the competition is all that challenging.

Good luck dude :D

I just finished. Took me a long time! >_>

O yes, HoboKa I knew that you used Fruity Loops from:

A: Your forum profile.

B: Your mp3s say "embedded with FL LAME" something like that

Also the synth I use is "Garritan Orchestra." It's sometimes is annoying because you cannot use velocity at all; Mod = Velocity for it. It was a bit pricey too.

However, I mix and match overall. I use some soundfont synths that were posted in the VGMusic forums, but I don't remember the link. (They are really good too) But the other soundfonts I like to use are: SGM and FluidGM. They are downloadable at: http://www.sf2midi.com.

I just finished. Took me a long time! >_>

O yes, HoboKa I knew that you used Fruity Loops from:

A: Your forum profile.

B: Your mp3s say "embedded with FL LAME" something like that

Also the synth I use is "Garritan Orchestra." It's sometimes is annoying because you cannot use velocity at all; Mod = Velocity for it. It was a bit pricey too.

However, I mix and match overall. I use some soundfont synths that were posted in the VGMusic forums, but I don't remember the link. (They are really good too) But the other soundfonts I like to use are: SGM and FluidGM. They are downloadable at: http://www.sf2midi.com.

hehe just purhased a buttload of samples from FL studios samplefusion stuff...can't wait to try em all out. ^^