Avien (aka Chris Powell)

Enigma

Hey everyone,

I am an old friend of Chris Powell's, we went to school together, hung out, played the sax during band (concert band, marching band, symphonic band, jazz band), and every once in awhile I would help him with certain remix's. It has been quite awhile since I have even been to this site. But recently I've been doing sort of an examination of my life. With being in the united states army infantry it leaves very little time to pursue much of anything, and music in any form is even harder due to "noise" issues when actually practicing. Its been over 5 years since i've even picked up the sax. Anyway, I was surfing the net and OCR just so happened to pop up and it got me to thinking about the good ol' days with avien. Now I'm about to finally leave the military and head back to college (for a degree in music of some form or another). I would like to put together a something as sort of a reunion piece for chris, I feel I owe him that much. I can honestly say that he was my best friend and had a huge influence in my life, even though that may have been subdued by duty. What I'm looking for is information on where to start this little project, if anyone has ideas, please feel free to suggest them. And to any how may have known him at all, that goes for you as well.

With some hard work, dedication and help, I think that I will be able to put something together that would do him just. Take care everyone, and stay safe out there.

-Enigma

Unfortunately he was taken from us a few years ago in a car wreck. I was the 2nd person called by his parents and I remember that morning very well indeed.

I want to the thank you all for the responses, its heart felt I assure you. As for where to start, I was aiming more at software for the actual remixing. As I had said its been a few years since I even looked an instrument much less thought of undertaking a project such as this. Now I know back when I was still somewhat dabbling with remixes that Fruityloops 7 was something that chris and I both used, but for all I know there is better editing software out there now. Thats what I'm look at now. Ideas and Opinions on that would be wonderful as I've been out of the loop for quite awhile now.

As far as the actual composition and arrangment of a song or album is concerned, Im not asking this communtiy to help out (please do not take offense to this), but I'm also not saying you couldnt if you felt so inclined. The ideal was to make something special in his memory for him, his parents, the community that he loved so much, and even a bit for myself. As for a paticular game, there are so many. We have nearly the same tastes in games. Actually while growing up together we would share our progess in a game at school (we usually had a friendly rivalry were we would see who could finish the fastest and unlock the most stuff), because we'd start playing them simultaniously. As for a favorite Final Fantasy was usually the headliner, but I know that Lunar:silver star story complete and Wild arms and xenogears all held a special place in his heart as well as mine. Final Fantasy has been covered a ton and with some very impressive remixes. Xenogears a bit less covered, the same with Wild Arms. The more I'm writing here the more I'm thinking that an album may be need to cover it all, lol.

But to summerize, I need to know whats good remixing software nowadays before all else. Starting to work out some ideas and get them on paper now, but feel free to continue suggestions as they are greatly appreciated ^_^

Again, I want to thank you all for the kindness you've show me and my dear friend. I cannot thank you all enough. Take care everyone and stay safe.

I miss Chris, too. We didn't have a lot of extensive interaction, but we chatted and I really enjoyed his music.

Shortly after the funeral, I had talked to his parents, who didn't even know he was doing this music. I linked them to all of his public arrangements, for which they were very grateful. I told them I'd host them as long as I possibly could.

They are still there, just as I said they'd be.

http://oneupstudios.com/protected/music/

Good Lord help me, I didnt know if you were still active here mustin. Yeah, his parents told me that someone from the site gave them the remix's he'd done. As to them not knowing....I can see that, he kept alot of things to himself. Not in a bad way mind you, just that they were personal and usually had a significant meaning behind it. As a musician, he was fantastic. He had some serious dedication to pushing himself to greater heights. Because of that I had to push myself as well, friendly rivalry and all that. I have alot of stuff that we dug off his computer, remix's that were never submitted (I dont rightly know if they were finished or not) recordings for songs he'd worked on....hell i even found some recorded pieces of myself on there. As a muscian, like I said, he was fantastic. As friend though.....unrivaled. He got me through some rough times. I miss him, thats a fact.

Also, not sure if this was ever told to you at all, you are probably one of the biggest reasons he stuck with remixing. You gave him something to strive after. I want to say the "Needles" collaboration you did with Dale North was amoung his favorite songs. Just thought you should know. And thank you for hosting his songs, that means a great deal. More than you could know and more than I could ever express. Again thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLyGeN viewpost.gif

I would recommend that you coordinate a project in this forum for a game he likes. Make sure that you are a part of that project too, so that it doesn't end up sounding like an age-old favor that you want the whole site to do for you.

Actually, this is the right forum to start soliciting people.

I dont want people to get the wrong Idea here though, I'm not trying to solicit anyone here. I dont mean that in a bad way, far from it. Im not asking for the "favor" from anyone, that wouldnt be right. I feel If someone were wanting to Contribute, thats outstanding, and I would thank them greatly. I dont want people to feel obligated, that hurts me actually, and I wouldnt ask that of anyone.

If you would like to contribute something, just send me a PM or an E-mail and we can hash things out. Again, feel free but not obligated.

I remember reading the news about Avien on OCR years ago. And after hearing about it, I did my own small remembrance, marking all of his remixes with a little "rest in peace" comment. He really did make some touching music, and I fully support this endeavor.

As for mixing software, REAPER is a good one to try out. Not only does it give a full-functionality trial period (and will only display a nag-screen if you let it "expire"), but getting a license for non-commercial use is a darn cheap $50. And with its MIDI sequencer, and with the SFZ Player VST-plugin and some good soundfonts, you can build your own library of free instrument patches!

I have alot of stuff that we dug off his computer, remix's that were never submitted (I dont rightly know if they were finished or not) recordings for songs he'd worked on....

This gives me an idea. Why not take some of this unreleased music you've found, finish the pieces, clean them up, then submit them to the site? OCR would have it's first posthumous remix, and it would make a touching tribute to Chris and his music. I can understand and respect if you'd rather leave the music alone in his memory, this is just a passing idea I felt like I had to share.

Murmeli Walan Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma viewpost.gif

I have alot of stuff that we dug off his computer, remix's that were never submitted (I dont rightly know if they were finished or not) recordings for songs he'd worked on....

This gives me an idea. Why not take some of this unreleased music you've found, finish the pieces, clean them up, then submit them to the site? OCR would have it's first posthumous remix, and it would make a touching tribute to Chris and his music. I can understand and respect if you'd rather leave the music alone in his memory, this is just a passing idea I felt like I had to share.

I had been thinking of doing that for awhile now. And it would be awsome, there is alot there. But the more I keep on thinking about it.... I dont think I could. It was his music and I really dont want to alter it in anyway (for better or worse). Maybe I should continue to think about it :)

I had been thinking of doing that for awhile now. And it would be awsome, there is alot there. But the more I keep on thinking about it.... I dont think I could. It was his music and I really dont want to alter it in anyway (for better or worse). Maybe I should continue to think about it :)

I think we'd be doing him a disservice if his work never saw the light of day. I second the posthumous remix idea.

• 1 year later...

I've wanted to make a Metroid album dedicated to Avien for a long time. My idea was a kind of ambient/IDM album which would include a selection of tracks from various Metroid games but still try to tell a kind of narrative (probably more the Super Metroid narrative). I was interested in a kind of cinematic sound that includes elements of orchestral, breakcore, dubstep, ambient, etc... but taken in a more emotional/melodic/ambient fusion kind of direction. I haven't really pursued it because I never really knew Avien and didn't really feel like I had the right to dedicate something to him. His remix of Maridia is my favorite video game remix of all time though. I've always wanted to explore that lonely, otherworldly atmosphere he captured with his remix on Relics of the Chozo... so I may still have a go of it in the future. I don't know. Whatever you guys end up doing, I'll contribute for sure.