OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here are the lump files full of all the bios I could find. These are all the most recent--but unedited--versions of the bios to my knowledge.

1-147: OCR_Mascot_Bios.txt

1-50 (of which I have edited 1-23): OCR_Mascot_Bios_(1-50).txt

51-100: OCR_Mascot_Bios_(51-100).txt

101-147: OCR_Mascot_Bios_(101-148).txt

Now, for some reason, I counted only 140 bios, so I went through the entire thread double checking my list. I realized that I hadn't included the final versions of The Coop's Darkstalkers bios, so that brought the total up to 147, plus his "What is Darkstalkers?" blurb. Otherwise, the thread and the OCR_Mascot_Bios.txt seemed to mirror each other.

So...didn't we say we had 150? There is certainly a picture with the number 150 in the file name, but are there truly 150 mascots?

EDIT: I just counted the number of bios on the list of completed bios and their authors. There are 147 bios completed.

That number should be 149, since chrono appears twice, but what about the others? Which ones are missing?

EDIT: #54, Dr. Wily, isn't in the list... also, Samus eventually ended up with one bio, but she has 2 mascot images. Same goes with princess Zelda... or did she?

Anyway, that should count for 150 - 1 chrono - 1 samus - 1 dr. wily - 1 princess zelda + 1 what are the darkstalkers = 147... Hmmmm.

Anyway, I can no longer update the first post, because it exceeds the maximum length for a post (new rules that came with vBulletin, which I'm liking less and less), and changing it and saving it requires me to cut off the last 3000 characters. Bleh.

Missing from the list is Magus (page 34, between Yoshi and Wario). And I believe it was decided to merge the two Samuses under one bio, recounting her origins rather than the Prime timeline.

If you want to add my long bios, why not just add a line at the end, below all the game data and such. Something like...

"If you'd like to read a more indepth history of **name**, follow this link. Be aware that there are spoilers contained within it."

Here's the long versions of Jon Talbain, Lilith, Morrigan, Lord Raptor, Hsien-Ko, Jedah, and Bishamon.

So in summation:

150 mascots - 4 repeats (Crono [2 / 98], Samus [13 / 40], Zelda [28 / 94], and Solid Snake [65 / 147]) = 146 normal bios + 7 long Darkstalkers bios + D.S. "What Is" spiel = 154 total

There are four repeats (Crono, Solid Snake, Princess Zelda, and Samus) but in both the list and the thread, Samus Aran (Prime) is being counted as a seperate bio. So, we have three bios each being counted as one that actually account for two images. Then the front page is missing Dr. Wily, for whom the thread has a bio, and the thread is missing Magus, for which there is an entry on the front page.

Front page: 150 images - 1 extra Crono - 1 extra Solid Snake - 1 extra Princess Zelda - 1 Dr. Wily = 146 entries

Thread: 150 images - 1 extra Crono - 1 extra Solid Snake - 1 extra Princess Zelda - 1 Magus = 146 entries

So each is missing just one mystery entry, because if you count the lines on the front page and you count the bios in the thread, they're both 147. What is the missing link?

EDIT: I realize that we do have a bio for Magus, it just needs a fair amount of editing work. I tacked it onto the end of both OCR_Mascot_Bios.txt and OCR_Mascot_Bios_(1-148).txt and fixed the links above. So, the thread count is 148, and the front page count is 147.

Just thought I'd chalk up this list for the mascots that don't have a set quote...

001 - Link: "Hut! Yah! Teh~!" (sword-swinging grunts)

002 - Crono: "The vengeance of the future we killed is about to begin..." (in Chrono Cross)

003 - Hiryu: "Take me to your boss!"

005 - Mario: "It's-a me, Mario!"

006 - Mega Man: "I am more than a robot!!"

007 - Leon Belmont: "This feeling... Are you a vampire?"

008 - Sonic: "This game of tag is boring; I'm outta here!"

009 - Alex Kidd: "Jan-ken-pon!" (rock, paper, scissors)

010 - Pac-Man: "WAKAWAKAWAKAWAKA..." (eating pellets, obviously)

012 - Terry Bogard: "Fighting's brutal. You can only bet on yourself!"

013 - Samus Aran: "I'm resting up for Mother Brain."

014 - Ness: "PK Fire!"

017 - Cammy White: "Your missing teeth will remind you of my victory!"

021 - Barret Wallace: "It's the damn Shinra! It's never been nobody but the Shinra!"

022 - Cloud Strife: "I don't care what your names are. Once this job's over... I'm outta here."

023 - Ulala: "Stay tuned!"

026 - Vivi: "What's the point of living if you can't feel alive?"

032 - Fei Fong Wong: "Dreaming... I was dreaming... Perhaps it may have been but a long forgotten memory..."

033 - Yuna: "As I bear the darkness into battle, my suffering becomes my strength."

038 - Azel: "I am... the only one... that can destroy the Tower."

039 - Toad: "Hey Mario! Lots of people use something called a "door" to go in and out of their houses..."

047 - Mega Man X: "Zero..."

051 - Dr. Robotnik: "This time I'll take your lives, as well as the Chaos Emeralds!"

056 - Beat: "Wow, you're faster than you look! We'll give you a hand."

059 - Earthworm Jim: "Groovy!"

074 - Frog: "Lower thine guard and thou'rt letting the enemy in."

077 - Yoshi: "Yoshi!"

078 - Tidus: "Could this be the end? If it is, I want to tell everything."

081 - Vega: "Handsome fighters never lose a battle!"

082 - Serge: "Who am... I? Who are... you? You're not me. I'm not you. I am reality... You are..."

085 - Sol Badguy: "You want to play games with me? Next time you'll die."

089 - M. Bison: "Get lost, you can't compare with my powers!"

091 - Claire Redfield: "What's going on? I arrived in town and the whole place went insane..."

097 - Terra Branford: "Hope... How can anyone put their hope in me?"

100 - Captain Falcon: "Show me your moves!"

104 - Metal Slug: *fires Vulcan cannon*

110 - Toejam and Earl: "Crank it Earl!"

114 - Ryu Hayabusa: "Who are they... They seem to be following me..."

115 - Penelo: "You're no good to anyone if you're locked away in a dungeon."

117 - Metroid: *saps Samus's energy*

118 - Deku Link: *plays a multi-headed trumpet*

119 - Bonus-kun: "A sandbag would be more responsive than you!"

120 - Kraid: *shoots claws*

122 - Ruto: "I was just lonely, that's all... Just a little!!"

123 - R-9A Arrowhead: *explodes*

126 - Ridley: *screeches*

128 - Turks: "...because it's our job."

129 - Sora: "I know now, without a doubt. Kingdom Hearts... is LIGHT!"

130 - Chocobo: "WARK!"

132 - Tira: "I should have known I couldn't live without this..."

133 - Edge: "Do you have anything to say to me? Eh? Eh? Eh!"

134 - Batsu: "I'm going to use everything that I have!"

144 - Blaze the Cat: "Hmm, it seems you like to play with fire. Let me light up your fingers then!"

Sure, whatever floats your boat. :P

Any quote can be replaced by something more fitting / cliché / outrageous, if you're in the mood to scour Game Script files on GameFAQs / cutscenes on YouTube / any game a mascot appears in (Toad's and Samus's quotes were from Mario RPG).

• 3 weeks later...

*BIG EARL BUMP*

Liontamer included a "Pictured From" line in the Wiki'ed Toyota Supra bio, but we never discussed the need for this detail. Sometimes it's intuitive given a mascot's sole game appearance or titular namesake; sometimes it isn't. I think it's okay; it helps dispel confusion over which Final Fantasy that Chocobo appears in, or if a reader's like "THAT'S Alex Kidd? I thought he looked like this..." Plus it's changeable if djp does plastic surgery on mascots like Mai Shiranui and the Hulk.

So I compiled the following list as best as I could. The ones that weren't so clear were the Lemming, the Doom Trooper, and Earthworm Jim - the sites I combed didn't explicitly pair official / promotional art with their games, so I tagged a (?) after them. (The Lemming in particular could use a proper system / year add-on, since there's more than one game called "Lemmings.")

----------

Link - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Crono - Chrono Trigger [2, 98]

Hiryu - Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

Aeris Gainsborough - Final Fantasy VII

Mario - Super Mario 64

Mega Man - Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

Leon Belmont - Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

Sonic - Sonic the Hedgehog

Alex Kidd - Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Pac-Man - Pac-Man World

Ukyo Tachibana - Samurai Shodown 64: Warriors Rage

Terry Bogard - The King of Fighters 2001

Samus Aran - Metroid II: Return of Samus [13], Metroid Prime [40]

Ness - Super Smash Bros.

Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong 64

Chun-Li - Street Fighter Alpha

Cammy White - X-Men vs. Street Fighter

Ryu - Street Fighter Alpha

Guy - Street Fighter Alpha

Sakura Kasugano - Street Fighter Alpha 2

Barret Wallace - Final Fantasy VII

Cloud Strife - Final Fantasy VII

Ulala - Space Channel 5

Moogle - Final Fantasy VI

Bowser - Super Smash Bros. Melee

Vivi Ornitier - Final Fantasy IX

HUnewearl - Phantasy Star Online

Princess Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker [28], The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [94]

Nall - Lunar: Silver Star Story

Mega Man X (full armor) - Mega Man X2

Lara Croft - Tomb Raider 2

Fei Fong Wong - Xenogears

Yuna - Final Fantasy X

Guile - Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers

Sephiroth - Final Fantasy VII

Keiichiro Washizuka - The Last Blade 2

Morrigan / Lilith - Darkstalkers 3

Azel - Panzer Dragoon Saga

Toad - Super Mario Sunshine

Kyo Kusanagi - The King of Fighters '99

Fox McCloud - Star Fox Adventures

Akuma - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Dan Hibiki - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Kaede - The Last Blade 2

Joanna Dark - Perfect Dark

Mega Man X - Mega Man X Collection

Lucca - Chrono Trigger

Jedah - Darkstalkers 3

Lilith Aensland - Darkstalkers 3

Dr. Robotnik - Sonic Adventure

Aya Brea - Parasite Eve

Heihachi Mishima - Soul Calibur II

Dr. Wily - Mega Man 8

Lord Raptor - Darkstalkers 3

Beat - Jet Set Radio

I-No - Guilty Gear XX

Gen - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Earthworm Jim - Earthworm Jim (?)

Diddy Kong - Donkey Kong Country

Dracula - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Karin Kanzuki - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Ken Masters - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Mario (kart) - Mario Kart 64

Solid Snake - Metal Gear Solid 3 [65], Metal Gear Solid 4 [147]

Blue Mary - The King of Fighters 2003

Wario - Mario Kart 64

Squall Leonhart - Final Fantasy VIII

Nina Williams - Tekken 3

Princess Peach - Mario Kart 64

Doom Trooper - Doom (?)

Luigi - Mario Kart 64

Orta - Panzer Dragoon Orta

Frog - Chrono Trigger

Robo - Chrono Trigger

Magus - Chrono Trigger

Yoshi - Mario Kart 64

Tidus - Final Fantasy X

Geno - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Iori Yagami - The King of Fighters 2003

Vega - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Serge - Chrono Cross

Dhalsim - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Rikku - Final Fantasy X-2

Sol Badguy - Guilty Gear XX

Wain - Lufia: The Legend Returns

Heather Morris - Silent Hill 3

Jin Kazama - Tekken 3

M. Bison - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Hsien-Ko - Darkstalkers 3

Claire Redfield - Resident Evil 2

Kirby - Kirby's Adventure

Red XIII - Final Fantasy VII

Lemming - Lemmings (?)

Vincent Valentine - Final Fantasy VII

Terra Branford - Final Fantasy VI

Sagat - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Captain Falcon - F-Zero AX

Norimaro - Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

Bishamon - Darkstalkers 3

Jon Talbain - Darkstalkers 3

Metal Slug - Metal Slug

Mai Shiranui - The King of Fighters 2000

Tifa Lockhart - Final Fantasy VII

Naked Snake - Metal Gear Solid 3

The Hulk - Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

Cyclops - Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

ToeJam & Earl - ToeJam & Earl

The Prince - Katamari Damacy

Viewtiful Joe - Viewtiful Joe

Jago - Killer Instinct 2

Ryu Hayabusa - Ninja Gaiden Black

Penelo - Final Fantasy XII

Servbots - The Misadventures of Tron Bonne

Metroid - Metroid Zero Mission

Deku Link - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Bonus Kun - Waku Waku 7

Kraid - Super Metroid

Princess Ruto - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

R-9A Arrow-Head - R-Type Final

Ganondorf - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Saria - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Ridley - Super Metroid

Bomberman - Bomberman Land

The Turks - Final Fantasy VII

Sora - Kingdom Hearts

Chocobo - Final Fantasy VII

Akira Kazama - Project Justice

Tira - Soul Calibur III

Edge - Project Justice

Batsu Ichimonji - Project Justice

Roberto Miura - Project Justice

Lady - Devil May Cry 3

Dante - Devil May Cry 3

Voldo - Soul Calibur II

Hammer Brother - New Super Mario Bros.

Cid Highwind - Final Fantasy VII

Shinnosuke Kagami - The Last Blade 2

Gambit - Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

Venom - Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

Blaze the Cat - Sonic Rush

Spider-Man - Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

Zato-1 - Guilty Gear X

Lakitu - New Super Mario Bros.

Rose - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Setsuna - The Last Blade 2

----------

There's also more mascots on the way (according to the first post in the Design ?'s and Issues thread), so when they do get implemented, we can add the "Pictured From" detail to the newer bios.

Argh. Great work, Polo. I'm sorry I've been so absent, leaving something hanging on the edge of completion, but my life is a disaster right now. I can't promise anything but that this thing will be done before summer, or I'll put my eyes out of service with a fork or something. Pain, or fear of pain, is a good motivator. So is blindness...

Sucks to hear things aren't going your way, Dafydd. Slow progress isn't really your fault. Right now we only have to proofread the bios, and I fortunately have the time and energy to help Linearity with it. (Don't worry, I won't rewrite them this time; just whatever needs polishing for readability and clarity. I'll keep the authors' words intact, starting with Cloud Strife.) When they're done, I'll post them like Lin did: as a .txt file on some webspace somewhere.

Finishing before summer might depend on when we get the new mascots, so... maybe by July 26th (this thread's 2nd birthday)? But definitely THIS YEAR.

About those text files... I really would prefer it if you could keep the links, the mascot images and the mascot numbers. Some of the bios also contains links integrated into the body text, and we lose these by using plain txt (or don't we?). Maybe a HTML would work better. The absolute best solution would be individual html files for each mascot - I think that would make things easier for Liontamer too, once he starts uploading them to the "wiki". I think I'll have to ask him about this so I know for sure what I'm talking about. Thanks for your efforts, guys, I really am trying to do more...

• 3 weeks later...

Went ahead and uploaded text files covering the project's FAQ, Guidelines, and our Progress Report to bypass vB's maximum character limit in the first post. So here ya go Dafydd:

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/polo83/MBP_FAQ_Guidelines.txt

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/polo83/MBP_List_Progress_Report.txt

I formatted every bio from Cloud onwards like so, keeping more or less with the Toyota Supra format:

Mascot Name (with a link after it to the original post only for comparison / verifying)
[img=mascot#]
Article: Author (linked to profile)
Pictured from: [i]Game[/i]
Created by: Company (also linked)
First appearance: Year

--- Bio ---
Blah blah blah.

--- Quote ---
"..."

--- Appearances ---
System
[i]Full Game Title[/i] (Year)

--- References ---
(links)

As far as editing goes so far, only the Magus bio gave me a bit of trouble. I cut "spoiler" sentences covering his childhood and his alter egos in Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross, and rearranged what was left without changing the words. You can read it here just to be sure I didn't botch it.

I'm otherwise progressing gradually, double-checking every detail. No joke. ;-)

Dafydd, do you lean more towards British English or American English? I notice you typed "humour" and "colour" with 'u's in Toejam & Earl's bio (British), yet elsewhere you say "apologize" and "organize" with a 'z' instead of an 's' (American). I'm tempted to drop the 'u's in humor and color in your bio; do you mind?

I'm sorry - being Swedish means being exposed to both British, American and Australian English at every turn - the result is a really messed up accent and spelling like a schizo. I'm simply confused, that's all. This website is American and the spelling should probably be kept consistently American, except in cases like watkinzez's bios, since he's Australian, and he wrote them. Myself, I try to stick to the American way of spelling and speaking (can't stand horridnesses like "inissialise" (British) instead of "inishalize" (American), but I screw up sometimes. :)

I even lost my own Swedish accent after moving away from home and doing army service. Being an arrogant capital city dweller had isolated me from other accents, and as soon as I got in touch with them, I picked up every weird expression and pronounciation there was to be picked up from the rest of my platoon, like a kid who catches every virus there is after finally being let out from the parents' quarantine-like overprotection. I guess you could say I'm adaptable... The good part is I can learn how to pronounce foreign languages well enough to fool a native I'm one of them in a matter of weeks, even if my vocabulary is lacking.

Bottom line: edit away.