CaveStory Remix by the Noob

keantoken

Hello, all

I started on this remix about 4 or 5:00 yesterday and surprised myself greatly.

To tell the truth, this is my first attempt at a remix, and a complete song. I have to credit most of my inspiration from my brother whom I have to scream at over his MIDI synth so he'll turn it down. I have only tried to work a real synth maybe ten or so times and I guess my only form of prior remixing knowledge came from what I have heard from this site and what my brother has not decided to stop repeating. This is MIDI, a format which I formerly thought incapable of supplying sufficient bass for a really nice remix. I proved myself wrong. Please give me your opinions on if it is good enough for OCRemix!

It is not quite complete, but it will be soon. I added a whole part that wasn't in the original song and took out the (i guess?) main theme. The original comes with the Organya View music player for CaveStory, which can be found here:

http://shii.org/pixel/

Check out the game as well - you won't be disappointed!

Here is my remix:

http://keanstokens.awardspace.com/CaveStory%20Last%20Battle%20Remix%20-%20Anthony%20tuttle.mid

Thanks in advance,

- keantoken

I regretfully inform that I cannot continue this remix until the makers of Anvil Studio produce a major bug fix which I suppose will happen next year. Until then I will refuse to eat, sleep, or even think. My brother is threatening to do it instead of me (I wish him luck).

Let me also inform you that I do not have the financial background to get me the $400 Acid Sequencer. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome. If you know of any other free MIDI sequencers, or if you know how to compile Jazz++ with WxWidgets, please do not hesitate to post. Thanks in advance for any inspiration,

- keantoken

I finally got Anvil Studio to work decently, and was also able to record the MIDI to OGG. I had no way of converting to MP3, so WYSIWYG. I had no choice after experiencing firsthand the destruction of my song when played by other computers :( . But now, it shouldn't sound so painfully shrill for those without a SBAWE64 Gold soundcard (old, yes, but very good).

Sorry about my strange formal style in my posts, but this is how I usually write when I don't exactly know the crowd that I'm dealing with.

The remix isn't really a true remix... But it might become one if I throw in some recognizable things at the end. It is still not complete, though. Here is the link:

http://www.mediamax.com/keantoken/Hosted/CaveStory%20Last%20Battle%20Remix%20-%20Anthony%20Tuttle%20in%20AUP.ogg

Enjoy! Please do not hesitate to give me feedback, as my only reason for hoping others may like this remix is that my friends absolutely love it.

- keantoken

EDIT: Disgregard what I said on this first line about Cave Story not being liscensed! There are mixes from it on this site and I'm stupid. Thanks for the correction, Hemophiliac.

First thing's first: you really need to use something other than Anvil Studio if you want to do anything more than just midis. Not only can it be buggy and annoying, you will eventually need to concern yourself with stuff like effects and mixing and using higher quality sounds if you want to get on OCR. Anvil Studio has no ability to do that because it's mainly just a midi sequencer.

In terms of your arrangement, this is a good recreation of the original tune slowed down. But if you want to get onto OCR you want to consider if you're adding anything to the original or doing anything different in your arrangement than what's in the original. Also consider if you're improving on the original sound quality wise. Almost all good remixes either have an interesting and well executed different take on the original or expand on it in some way, so you want to strive for that.

Of course this is all assuming you want to get on OCR. Right now I wouldn't worry about that and I'd just keep working, because you will improve if you do that. Look around in the Remixing section of the forum and see if you can find something better than Anvil Studio and just keep working on remixing.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a little harsh. I know this is your first attempt, but you should know this stuff now so you don't find it out later the hard way.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a little harsh. I know this is your first attempt, but you should know this stuff now so you don't find it out later the hard way.

Don't worry. It doesn't seem very harsh at all to me. In my opinion, this is just friendly advice and I thank you. I have had to learn the hard way before.

About getting another sequencer, I'm looking into Cubase SX. May take awhile to get it, though...

- keantoken