*NO* Unreal Tournament 'Hat Trick'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: SuicideKai

Email: cpl.kai@gmail.com

UserID: 32027 (SuicideKai)

Game: Unreal Tournament (Classic, not '03 or '04)

Original Song Name: Foregone Destruction

Remixed Song Name: Hat Trick

Comments: Made with Ableton Live

Link to original song:

Link to remix:

If there's a problem with those links, they're both in the index of

I see you've gone for the clashing notes style of mixing. The theme is very easily recognisable, as it's pretty much an upgrade of the source up to 1:36. Even beyond there, it is very reliant on the melodies from the source.

The reverb on your bass is a big no for me. It's the main thing that's making this mix sound like a muddy mess instead of a pristine mix. The majority of the mix (especially the bass-synth sections) are repeated over and over with no changes, exactly like the original. The ending was weak too.

Get rid of most of the reverb on the bass-synth and try personalising the mix more. Fiddle around with the bass programming, try switching up the chord patterns a little, add an extra instrument over the top to accompany the melody. Don't be afraid to deviate from what the source is dictating, or you'll just get rejected again.

NO

Why is the bass all muddy and stereo? Oh, Orichalcon mentioned reverb. Please don't use reverb on bass, it sounds horrid - one of the very few music rules. The loudness of the bass itself is fine though, although I'm sure some will disagree with me and say it's too much lol. Production quality on the whole is good.

This sounds very similar to the original, which I know well. You haven't added much at all, in fact it sounds quite like this could be the original, and the original could be the remix.

This needs more, much more. The beat is so basic, and there needs to be more original stuff added. The thing is, you seem to have gone for the same vibe as the original did, but it doesn't quite reach it. Try a different approach.

NO

Unreal Tournament OSV - "Foregone Destruction"

Thanks for providing a copy of the original. Yeah, this follows the structure of the original pretty closely, changing some sounds, and adding in some very subtle embellishments. Not a good sign vs. the standards. 1:00 in and the thing was still in intro mode, the mix only being 4:06-long.

1:13 dropped out the countermelodic synth and brings in a bass kick to drive thing along before mushing up the soundscape with a very unmelodious and buried lead synth at 1:36. The sound balance there was pretty weak, as everything's pretty muddy and indistinct.

The bass kicks and quiet percussion work from 2:00-2:24 were a lot less varied and interesting than the original. Other than that, there wasn't much going on with the track, making things drag. 3:12 added some new, though minimal, countermelodic ideas for the last section.

You did try to make this a more ambient-type piece, but the end result sounds murky and imbalanced. Make the lead and countermelodic stuff stand out more. In any case, you used too many parts of the original near-verbatim, while making the supporting instrumentation much less complex. So overall, you ended up simplifying the track a lot, without really developing the arrangement into something different from the original.

NO