*NO* Lufia 2 'Last Chance' *RESUB*

The Orichalcon

Previous Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86772

Haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, posting it here now so I don't forget later.

Hey Zircon, Liontamer, and The Orichalcon:

I have spent a good deal of time re-working the production of my recent submission, Lufia 2 "Last Chance". I think it is ready to be reviewed by the judges panel again, but I thought it might be better to send this note out and give you guys the chance to take a look at it and maybe give me any pointers so I can improve it while it sits in queue.

I bought some studio headphones and heard how bad my previous mix sounded, so i started over completely on the production. Every comment made by you three was taken and worked on, and the results are very apparent.

Finally, I want to thank you all for taking me and my mix seriously and giving me useful critiques to improve. This song represents around 200 hours of learning and good times, and even if it never makes it onto the site, it was a great experience for me.

New version:

Old version for comparison:

Original song:

okay. i listened to the original, then the first version, then the current version. the update is SIGNIFICANTLY better.

I have a couple of major concerns, the biggest one being the guitar. It's really rough. The performance is sloppy to the point of being irritating. Granted this probably bothers me more than the other judges.

other concerns are that the arrangement is fairly close to the original, and it doesnt bring that much new to the table. This problem is more significant because some of the production aspects are still sloppy. This is by no means bad stuff..and you're clearly showing progress, but i think this needs to be tightened up.

NO

above all, keep practicing.

• 3 weeks later...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ed2 - "Battle #2" (ed2-113.spc)

Weird how that warbly synth just abruptly cuts out at :04. The note movements on that single string synth sounded very fake; sample was very thin and too distant-sounding and lo-fi. Piano at :12 also was too thin and synthetic sounding and needed to be flesh out. The way the guitar came in at :32, it sounded completely pasted on top. You could tell from there on in that the production simply wasn't going to be a strong point. Why waste a 195kbps encoding (which, by the way, is over our bitrate ceiling) on something that ultimately sounds like this?

Melody kicked in at :56, and aside from the lead synth and rhythm guitar everything else sounded like total mush. The machine gum drums are a decent idea, but I have a feeling they'd just get annoying if they were a lot louder and more upfront than the are now. In any case, the drums, strings and other sounds in the background indistinctly mushed together. None of the sounds had any meat on them, only a wash of effects.

Really flat and ugly tone for the synth solo at 2:02, you need to change the sounds to something smoother and more energetic. Good transition into 2:23 for another iteration of the melody on piano. You could barely hear the strings playing some nice countermelodic ideas, thanks to the poor production. The guitar performance is aight, but not very strong. Track ended at 3:28 with 8 seconds of silence left over; fixy fixy.

On the whole, the arrangement aspect was relatively conservative but pretty interpretive/personalized in terms of the instrumentation choices and overall style, in contrast to Vigilante's POV. However the samples are generally both poor and poorly used, and the production is just ass. It's unfortunate that there's such a disparity in the quality of the two main components of the track because the arrangement was a great leap forward from the last submission. If the sound quality was on point, I don't think I could find a strong reason to NO this. Backup those source files, scout out the ReMixing forums and see what you can do to improve the sound quality of what's in place here. Nice improvement so far, Andrew.

This is definitely an improvement over your last submission. The production is the main issue for me - the strings and piano sounds are very unrealistic, although the guitar does sound quite good to my ears at least. The instrumentation, rather than blending in a pleasant way, mush together creating a very muddy, washy sound. The arrangement is good, but the sound quality is just too poor.

NO