Remixer Name: OA

email: andrew@oceansend.com

homepage: oceansend.com

number: 14936

Name of game: lufia 2

Name of song: boss battle

original:

remix:

This is my second attempt to submit a remix. I hope it goes better than the first ;-) This piece represents a lot of personal growth in the production area, and I hope you guys like it.

Thank you for providing the source. Most people who sub here don't and it makes things more difficult for us.

Ok, I guess I'll be a little nitpicky here since there seem to be smaller problems here that are taking away from the overall sound. The synth arpeggios towards the beginning seem to have some wrong notes, for one thing. Also, the way the string chords are written are not really pleasant.. it makes them sound fake because string sections are not typically arranged that way. I would rework the voicing of those. The lead guitar part (as well as the rhythm parts that come in later) appears to be panned dead center; put some stereo reverb/delay on that! Also, the lead synth that plays the melody has this really high end buzz that is quite grating, and the synth tone itself lacks much audible presence in any range at all. You gotta pick a new patch for that.

Also, I'd like to point out that it seems like there's some off-notes or chords in one of the progressions you use (lets use the one at 3:05 as an example); it sounds like it should be Bb minor, A augmented, Ab major, and Eb major with a G in the bass. The rest of what you had sounded fine. But the first four chords that you had in there, or perhaps the notes that were playing over them, definitely clashed. I would take a closer look at that part and all the other parts that share that same progression. Also, at the end, you end on a major chord (I think), but the melody synth is playing some notes not in the major scale. It doesn't sound quite right.

The original stuff at 2:01 is a nice thought, but it just comes across as ugly. The strings sound REALLY thin there, you have that grating synth, and the bass is cutting in and out. It really seems kind of empty and the lead synth is very mechanical. The piano that intros after this section is also quite mechanical, and the pad that you bring in is absolutely TERRIBLE - are you just not hearing how much high end noise you have going on here? You need to drop the high freqs of that pad a good 12db at least, and beef up the lower/mid frequencies.

So overall there's no ONE specific problem here, but lots and lots of little things that could be improved. You're on the right track though, so just keep working on it, and hit the ReMixing forum to get production advice.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ed2 - "Battle #2" (ed2-113.spc)

Love the source tune; it's been a favorite of mine. The strings opening things up sound too thin and synthetic; harmonizing them at :23 helped mask those issues. Same problem with the piano at :12, which is coincidentally reffering to the :27 section of the original. Guitar wanks in at :32 but sounds too lo-fi. Until :57, the background elements were way too quiet compared to the guitar; fix the sound balance, please.

:56 launches into the familiar source melody. The drums lack power and the patterns are really boring. Hate the rapid-fire drum pattern at 1:18, as it's meant to drive the track along but just sounds like a car is running/knocking in the background.

More of the same problems the whole way through past 1:40 with thin, overly synthetic samples, poor sound balance and drums that don't gel with the rest of the instrumentation. Decent arrangement potential hampered by this subpar execution. Listen to zircon; he's giving a lot of good criticism that you can practically apply to this track as well as future works.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

The source sounds like a mix of Final Fantasy 5's boss theme and Chrono Triggers battle music.

That piano sample is so damn thin and bright. I can hear the strength and potential behind this mix, but it's executed really poorly. Everything seems mashed together in an attempt to create a powerful structure. You need to take this one back to the drawing board and work on the percussion. Everything is so treble heavy, the percussion is poor in particular, the kick is tinny and bassless, you need to work on the EQ'ing for the entire mix.

Larry and zirc have covered the rest. Main work needs to be done on that production.

NO