*NO* Streets of Rage 'Elevation'

djpretzel

Bleh. You can do better than this! Some of the synths are pretty cool but the beatwork doesn't change up at all through the course of the song. Neither does the bassline. A little more harmony action going on would help considering it's basically the same little riff and 2 chords going back and forth for the entire length of the song. Try to introduce some original material to make a bit less repetitive. Unfortunately, the strings + brass parts are pretty fake and you'd probably be better off leaving them out (though the sequence of the disco style strings towards the end is nice).

Needs some work overall - more with the arrangement + structure than anything else.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sor1.rar - "Violent Breathing" (Round 7)

Love the source tune. One of my favorites from a classic soundtrack. Nice subtle skipping effect during the intro. Percussion is really basic during the intro and the texture is really thin and simplistic, but it could grow into something more. ... Hmm, maybe not.

Source came in via some crummy synth saxes at :43. They're too artificial-sounding and aren't really loud enough most of the time. Nonetheless, I did like what you were doing at 1:28 punching the saxes up, then going for the electrosynth stuff on lead.

Disco strings were pretty sweet, like zircon mentioned, but yeah, the lack of variation with the percussion hurt the track. Good thing, you dropped that stuff out at 2:19, but that was shortlived, coming right back at 2:34. Otherwise, though you had some good arrangement ideas there to keep the groove going.

You've gotta go for something more complex and varied with the percussion on support. Right now, these basic beats and claps are too plain-jane. Many of the other synths here lack realism as well, and the overall texture is relatively simplistic.

I don't mind that only a portion of the source tune was arranged here. Given a good overhaul, this could groove bias me, but right now it's not nearly polished enough.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The repetition in this mix sinks this one for me. At some parts I felt it was repeating the same measures over and over and over again. This felt so redundant at times. This needs quite a bit of variation both in the groove, drum/bass lines, harmonic structure, etc. Lots of dance/electronic genres tend to like the repeating factor, but there is a line regardless, here it just felt like at times you copied one measure into several others. I'd like to see variation, more expansion with the source material.

The synth sax part was indeed cheap sounding. I think the synths, while basic were acceptable. My favorite part of the mix is the strings/disco strings. I actually would not change a thing with the strings, they work. Might beef up the harmonic aspect of that perhaps?

The mix got progressively better as it got to the end parts. There's a lot of promise in the mix, but right now the repetition, simplicity factor needs to be worked on more. Loved the ending by the way. The latter half isn't strong enough to push it over the edge for me, given my concerns with the first half and the pros vs cons here.

NO but consider resubmitting, this has good potential to pass with work done.