- ReMixer Name: penguindf12

- E-mail address: penguindf12@hotmail.com

- Userid: 28893

Submission Information

- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

- The Song of Storms

- System: N64; Composer: Koji Kondo

- I have no link to the original soundtrack

- This track was made possible with the amazing lyrical skills of my roommate and co-bandmate (he prefers not to be listed as an OCR user) Jonathan. He wrote the rap, I set the text to beats. It just so happened that "Song of Storms" fit best, and there ya go. The vocals and production are all mine. (A side note: this is one of the flagship songs of our recent hip-hop collaboration, known as "Joe Sixpack & The Americans," thus the "presents" bit. My stage name is DJ RJ The Rappin' Raptor; his is Mixmaster X. We are Bad Motherflippers.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12209 - 57 "Windmill Hut"

Had to panel this one just because of the audacity of these guys, but it seems like a clear case (IMO) where the chord progression is too basic to really call this a remix of Song of Storms. It could be a remix of lots of songs. Only the chorus which uses the melody really reminds me of the source. The production also wasn't utilizing much high-frequency content which made it sound like a low bitrate MP3. I did like what was going on here, just needs more of a connection to a song!

NO

As far as the chord progression goes, it's a pretty obvious one, but it's not the source tune explicitly, and Palp's right, it's a pretty scant connection without the chorus for context. In other words, use more of the source tune in this, and don't oversimplify it.

Honestly, if the execution wasn't so barebones, it would have more potential. As is though, the sound balance needed work, and Palp was dead-on about the lack of high frequencies making this sound like a really crappy low encoding. Sorry, bros, that's just how it was. The instrumental was too sparse as well as underdeveloped and repetitive. Bottom line though, I think the arrangement has some merit, even if it's not my style. If the instrumental were developed more, I could run with this.

NO (resubmit)

Compression is fun but couple it with the less-than-balanced instruments it made the track sound unfocused and strangely distant at times. The backing track is, like Larry said, extremely barebones and while the vocal delivery is cool and all it hurts the arrangement overall. The higher synth sounds strangely roomy and the main beat is a bit overshadowed by the bass at times.

Arrangement was too sparse, no real developement or modification of the source tune. The source is pretty simple too and using only the bass isn't a really strong connection IMO. I think you see where I'm going with this, I liked the concept but at the moment it needs more work to get some front page action going. Keep it up though!

NO