Lexicon Ionix 810S or M-Audio ProFire 2626?

Harmony

Next weekend I’m dead set on buying a new audio interface and since this will most likely be my biggest musical purchase in the next year or so, I’m trying not to screw it up. I thought I had it figured out, and I was going with the Lexicon Ionix FW810S, but I just read the SOS review of it and it casts some doubts which make me think the M-Audio ProFire 2626 would be better for me.

Lexicon:

PRO: Lots of DSP input fx processing and the Pantheon II reverb plug-in (how useful would that really be? I'd rather track clean and mess with fx during mixing)

CON: Single headphone output (Profire has 2)

CON: No pad on inputs (Profire has 20dB pad)

CON: 55dB of preamp gain (Profire claims 75dB!? That seems questionable for this price)

Profire:

PRO: It’s M-Audio. I trust M-Audio.

PRO: Lots more I/O than Lexicon, although most is digital that I won’t use

CON: No fancy type IV conversion on input (Lexicon has it)

CON: No front-panel XLR inputs (Lexicon has 2)

CON: 2 LED front-panel metering (Lexicon has 3 LEDs)

Anyone have any experiences they want to share with either? I wonder how preamp quality compares; I've heard that both are 'good'? bgc, would you trade your Profire for the Ionix?

Next weekend I’m dead set on buying a new audio interface and since this will most likely be my biggest musical purchase in the next year or so, I’m trying not to screw it up. I thought I had it figured out, and I was going with the Lexicon Ionix FW810S, but I just read the SOS review of it and it casts some doubts which make me think the M-Audio ProFire 2626 would be better for me.

Lexicon:

PRO: Lots of DSP input fx processing and the Pantheon II reverb plug-in (how useful would that really be? I'd rather track clean and mess with fx during mixing)

CON: Single headphone output (Profire has 2)

CON: No pad on inputs (Profire has 20dB pad)

CON: 55dB of preamp gain (Profire claims 75dB!? That seems questionable for this price)

Profire:

PRO: It’s M-Audio. I trust M-Audio.

PRO: Lots more I/O than Lexicon, although most is digital that I won’t use

CON: No fancy type IV conversion on input (Lexicon has it)

CON: No front-panel XLR inputs (Lexicon has 2)

CON: 2 LED front-panel metering (Lexicon has 3 LEDs)

Anyone have any experiences they want to share with either? I wonder how preamp quality compares; I've heard that both are 'good'? bgc, would you trade your Profire for the Ionix?

Dang. That is a pickle. While I love my Profire, I must admit that for whatever reason I have to set my buffer higher than I'd like, thought I'm not entirely sure that's the interface and not my computer.

You know, it's like Halle Berry and Jessica Biel just asked you out on a date and you're just trying to figure out which one you'd regret not taking the least :) I mean, your choices definitely aren't too shabby either way!

What I think I would do if I were you is find out whether or not you have any kind of trial/return period--I'm not sure you do. But if so, I'd try out the Lexicon first. And if it's not savvy enough for ya, then return it and snag the 2626.

Definitely a tough call man. I would say the Type IV conversion is the Lex's biggest selling point, and I'd personally love to try that thing out. That being said, I do love the sound of my Profire...

Flip a coin perhaps? :tomatoface:

I'd personally go the way of M-audio. From what I know, they have better driver support anyway.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of having XLR connections in the front of a rack system like that. I suppose that's mostly because I would use an interface like that on a desk and XLRs in the front would mean having cables making a mess in front of me. Meters on the rack really shouldn't be that much of a big deal either since your DAW should have better capabilities in that respect.

As far as the converters go, I'm not really betting that the Lexicon is going to be that much better at that price tag. And only 55dB? That doesn't give you a heck of a lot of headroom. Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of Lexicon unless it's one of their reverbs.

Just my 2 cents...

You know, it's like Halle Berry and Jessica Biel just asked you out on a date and you're just trying to figure out which one you'd regret not taking the least

WOW, they're both THAT good!? Yeah, maybe I will just flip a coin then :)

But seriously, I'm just afraid that I'm not going to be able to really tell with the type IV. If I set my levels properly, then it doesn't do anything.

The latency issue bother me though. The SOS reviewer claimed he got 1ms latency with ASIO (128 samples) on the Ionix. Not sure what computer he was using or even what recording setup, but that sounds impressive.

WOW, they're both THAT good!? Yeah, maybe I will just flip a coin then :)

But seriously, I'm just afraid that I'm not going to be able to really tell with the type IV. If I set my levels properly, then it doesn't do anything.

The latency issue bother me though. The SOS reviewer claimed he got 1ms latency with ASIO (128 samples) on the Ionix. Not sure what computer he was using or even what recording setup, but that sounds impressive.

yes, but to be fair, there's plenty of people on the M-Audio support forums who have claimed to get 1ms latency as well.

Or course, I am absolutely chaotic when it comes to pushing my hardware's capabilities... I'm sure my tendency to use too many plugins doesn't help at all.

Went with the ProFire and it arrived today. Joy!

The ultimate decision was based on the mountains of positive reviews for the ProFire compared with the relatively few mentions of the 810S anywhere (admittedly because it's new). Another huge factor was the lack of any sort of online knowledge base for the 810S on the Lexicon website, as well as a relative lack of videos and tutorials about it, again reflecting how new the product line is. Finally, I read through both manuals and the ProFire's made me feel like it was an entry level pro product as opposed to the 810S's manual which made the interface seem like a top of the line hobbyist product. It's pro or no in my studio, haha!

There was also a ridiculously good deal on it at Amazon (even the zZounds people were shocked when I price matched it with them), however that didn't significantly affect the decision since I had already committed the money.

In the end, the choice was easy for me. I went with Jessica Biel and I won't regret it ;) Thanks for the help guys.