Not-Just OCR but pretty much anything game-related lossless project

MrMAGFest

So I wrote this big hueg (note it's so huge I couldn't even spell it right) post about a lossless project and my plans for it and stuff and lost it. So this is the short summary version:

- Quality is important to some people, so I want to start a lossless VGM project that involves freely redistributable OSTs, remixes, and covers.

- If you're not into the idea, please don't flame the project, or even start a friendly debate, we're not making you participate.

- I know OCR0012 (number arbitrarily invented) or whatever old tune is probably not going to be available in lossless or the project files are gone.

- Since MAGFest is often asked to supply VGM and remixes to others this could be a good way for good music to get heard in the best quality available.

- This is a good way to get your tunes played by radio stations that only play lossless music. MAGradio is one example. I'm aware there are other stations that don't care.

- Eventually when there are enough submissions I'll probably organize everything into versioned torrents or something.

Right now I have a few people interested but I would like to get everyone together and see what they think. Please let me know!

http://www.ocremix.org/torrents/

10 of these projects have lossless versions available in the torrent, so that'd be a great way to knock out a chunk of searching for lossless stuff. This is probably common knowledge to most already, but I figured I'd bring it up as a good starting point in case you didn't already know.

http://www.ocremix.org/torrents/

10 of these projects have lossless versions available in the torrent, so that'd be a great way to knock out a chunk of searching for lossless stuff. This is probably common knowledge to most already, but I figured I'd bring it up as a good starting point in case you didn't already know.

Thanks, I do have those. I'm going more for individual mixes that have not previously been a part of a project. And, in fact, they don't have to be accepted OCReMixes either. Effectively, trying to bring people out of the woodwork that have only submitted MP3s in the past to make, say, FLAC available.

Thanks! I may be preaching to the converted (no pun intended) on this one but:

To anyone submitting, please remember that submissions are not lossless if they have EVER been one of the following formats:

MP3, MP4, M4A, M4P, MP2, OGG, AAC, WMA, RA, RM, SPX, VQF

Lossless formats include:

FLAC, WAV, AIFF, APE, SHN, TTA, WV, OFR

The most common example I see is someone that has a CD burned from MP3s and rips it to WAV or FLAC and tries to tell me that it's lossless. Please don't do that. Once something has been a lossy format the quality can never be restored. That's one of the key reasons for doing this project in the first place, so let me know if there's any questions before proceeding.

And, in fact, they don't have to be accepted OCReMixes either. Effectively, trying to bring people out of the woodwork that have only submitted MP3s in the past to make, say, FLAC available.

So...just any-ol' remix, eve non-accepted OCR stuff, just as long as it's lossless? You may get a flooooooood of material from lots of people, but I'll assume you're sifting through the quality of mixes yourself. :nicework:

I might have one or two, like the one from the Aborted Animal Crossing, that I can both mix down to FLAC and would be comfortable with the quality of the song itself. Regardless, I'll say this is quite ambitious and I hope you have enough storage space for all this FLAC (pun intended).

Awesome guys, thanks for all the positive feedback and support.

I forgot to mention how to get them to me, you can either dump them on your own site or use something like http://sendspace.com/ which will do up to 300M at a time and doesn't make me wait to download. Or if you need a more creative solution, just send me a note and we can do a send over AIM or something perhaps.

Just PM me with a link to either when you've got something up and I'll pull it down. If you're hosting it yourself, you can paste the link here if you want to share it with everyone, but that might eat up some of your bandwidth so be warned.

C'mon folks! This is the perfect opportunity to harass contact the remixers of your favorite songs that are a bit muddied by 128Kbps (or less) MP3 encoding.

I, for one, am definitely going to message DigiE and hope they have that slick 7.5+ minute Castlevania II mix in lossless (as opposed to the 105Kbps it is on OCR).

http://cotmm.mine.nu/mp3/

it says mp3 but they're all lossless. server should be wicked fast too.

Not all of it has obvious file names, some of them are whatever the 'project' name was. Not all are video game remixes, not all of them are OCRemixes.

If I can dig up more, I'll upload them.

What about that Solstice track with Steve Pordon? I'll shoot the FLAC your way if it got lost or something.

Also, Brendan (MrMAGFest) might want to know which songs are & aren't VG remixes, considering the nature of his project.

• 9 months later...

I haven't submitted anything here yet and I don't think I have enough time to help with anything like tagging, etc. But I would like to chime in and say I am one of those people that cares very much about lossless audio, and it makes me happy to see that there are apparently a fair number of others who don't like to settle for MP3.

• 2 months later...