*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Ocarina of Medleys'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Niccho

Name of game(s) arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Kakariko Village, Fairy Flying, Kokiri Forest, Zelda's Lullaby, Lost Woods (Saria's Song), Windmill Hut

-------------------------------------------------------------

Rather goofy title; just doesn't make much sense. The bitrate is also too low, IMO. I'd use VBR and get as close to 6.00MB as possible.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12209 - A bunch of 'em

This really needed some high-end frequencies; sounded like they all got lopped right off. The sampled instrumentation was solid for the most part.

There was expansive writing in the arrangement, but I would have liked to have heard more melodic interpretation as well as transitions with more thought behind them. Pretty much a case where nearly everything's executed decently, but it doesn't come off like a hugely creative, interpretive arrangement. Plus it suffers from medley-itis (do one theme, change to the next without much blending), which isn't inherently wrong, but could be made to sound a bit more cohesive. Lastly, the ending was anticlimactic, and thus weak. It just ended with no resolution.

A solid effort, but not realizing its potential. Looking forward to hearing more from you, even if it's not a resub of this track, because this showed some promise. Besides using the Workshop forums here, you should be participating in Dwelling of Duels too, which will definitely help you raise your game.

NO

The production is really lacking. The guitars especially sounds like it's been put through a low-pass filter and a low-quality distortion pedal. The snare was too loud and compressed. The production overall was very muddy.

Arrangement does suffer from some medley-itis. Not the worst case though, that's for sure. The new writing that was there was good but you could've taken more liberties with the melodies and, more importantly, the transitions. The drums could use some more subtle velocity variation, especially in the hi-hats, to sound more realistic. With a more personalized and cohesive approach I can see the arrangement working. The playing was good too!

This shows a lot of promise but at the same time has some obvious flaws. Do take some time to learn more about production and maybe participate in a few DoD tournaments or post some stuff in the Workspace-forums. I don't think much more is needed before you submit something we'll pass. :nicework:

NO

I'm not usually not bothered by medley-itis, but this was so disjointed, it didn't sound cohesive at all. I also thought there wasn't much interpretation beyond changing dynamics and instrumentation. Most of the original melodies and countermelodies are kept intact. I think just on this basis, it's a NO, despite that fact that you had some cool things going on with instrumentation and playing, new drumming patterns, and huge dynamic shifts.

Production sounds way off, no way to soften that criticism. The overall sound is muddy and focused on the wrong instruments. Something needs to be more upfront and attention-grabbing. You really got to listen to other songs that use these sorts of instruments and try to shape your instruments to match those songs. Participating in DoD could be a good way to improve that part of your game. Best of luck to you, Niccho.

NO