*NO* Metal Gear Solid 2 'Son of Liberty'

Liontamer

Hi,

Though i'd might as well submit this trance-remix of the main theme from Metal Gear Solid - Sons of Liberty that i did back in 05-06.

Remixer name: Tommie

ReMix forum user id: 27876

Song Link:

Game name: Metal Gear Solid - Sons of Liberty

Arrangement name: Tommie - Son of Liberty

Please enjoy,

Tommie

----------------------------------------------------------------

Watch the filesize. We only accept 6.00MB or below, so 11.74MB, can't run with it. VBR it. Regardless, let's judge this one on the merits.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty Original Soundtrack - (101) "Metal Gear Solid' Main Theme"

Pretty extended, non sequitur build, finally referring to the theme briefly at 2:05, 2:20 & 2:33 and changing the chord progression. Theme finally faded in at 3:16 with a pretty straightforward gated rhythm until 4:41. Not really too much melodic interpretation going on beyond the trance adaptation, though it was a capable one. Some more usage of the underlying progression from 5:14-5:41, before returning with the melody until 6:40.

All in all, cool to listen to, with solid production, but the arrangement was too bread and butter for the genre without getting more creatively interpretive with the melody or other parts of the source tune. The original writing pieced together very naturally with what source usage was there, but this track needs a lot more MGS theme in it to break 50% source usage (i.e. 4:16's worth of this track), and the level of interpretation needs to go beyond what's expected in order to fit with the genre. Too bad this is an older piece; it has a lot of potential if you were willing to revisit it. Definitely hope we hear more from you, Tommie.

NO (resubmit)

Good ol' trance intro with 3 minutes unconnected to the source. :< I did like the rhythm modifications made the melody to make it trance-like, but this was pretty barebones as far as video game trance adaptations go. When the source is used, it is by-and-large unchanged, and it's barely present the rest of the time.

Good solid trance production, all the levels where they needed to be, little details to keep the active listener involved. It got a little crowded in the 5:00-6:00 range with all the cymbals, but not a big deal. Because of the arrangement, this is a NO but I'd love to see more from you, something that dealt with the source more closely, like other trance arrangements we have passed on OCR.

NO

Yeah, this definitely makes me wanna dance like crazy. However that's sadly not enough reason to pass this. The production was tight and the sounds were a lovely bunch of cookie cutter and creative stuff, all crisp and clean. Great energy too!

The arrangement, however, was lacking. Even when the theme finally entered it was a very vanilla arrangement approach and quite repetetive. You have some good personalization going on but you should try vary it up some more.

Would love to see someting like this with some more and interpretive source usage. OCR needs more awesome trance.

NO(resubmit)