Best value in ear/headphones

Black Mage

Next month I'm taking a week-long vacation to Lake Powell, but this comes with a seven-hour drive through the Southron Wastes of Utah...in the truck with my dad, his girlfriend and her dullard son. And I'll probably be in the back seat with the dullard son. Needless to say I don't want to exchange so much as a word with him for those seven hours. My plan is to load my iPod with seven hours or so of podcasts, or an audio book or something. My standard issue iPod earbuds, however, do become quite uncomfortable after a while, so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to upgrade my earphones.

Now, if I could justify it, I'd shell out a couple hundred bills for a nice pair of Bose headphones (the around-the-ear type). However, I really can't justify that kind of cost, so my question to you, my fellow Overclockers, is what is the best value in ear/headphones?

My little brother raves about Skull Candy earbuds, and I thought they were pretty good, but I'm still very open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I had a pair of the Skull Candy earbuds, but they broke (Sound only came out one speaker). The Skull Candy Lowriders I own, however, are excellent. I've had no problems with them, the sound quality is very good, and they only cost $40. However, since I wear glasses, they can start to hurt after a while.

Senn px 100's are awesome for the money, but if you're trying to block out noise and be in your own little world they aren't what you're looking for.

I have tried several pair of Bose. Do. Not. Buy. Them. Not even close to worth the money.

If you're really willing to pay 200 dollars, you can get a phenomenal pair of in ear isolation headphones from Etymotic Research for that kind of money that I'm sure you won't be disappointed in. I have a pair and they are as close to reference as I've ever heard for in ear headphones and I've tried more than a few.

I bought ER's flagship pair about 2 years ago. I think you can get them for around 180 dollars now. I paid more then.

Trust me, you put those in your ears you will hear absolutely nothing but your music. Someone could shout at you sitting right next to you and they would be a mime to you.

Punch in Etymotic Research on Google and look around some.

A little bit big, but these are the best headphones for $60. Ever. Like having a movie theater in your head. I've convinced quite a few of my friends to get them after hearing mine, because they couldn't deny the quality for price. Choose whatever headphones you want, but if you do choose these you certainly won't regret it.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM40FS-Precision-StudioPhones/dp/B0002D03ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243298517&sr=8-1

If you want specifics read the reviews on Amazon.

if you like bose, look at their triport headphones on ebay. you can generally find them for around 60$ if you look around.

beyond that, the earbuds i use when i need to be more portable are really cheap. these are also ones i have owned. both of them are pretty durable and have pretty good sound. and they're cheap, so when you drive over them you're fine. i've owned six pairs in the last seven years, and i like them.

For iPod headphones, I love the Sennheiser PX 100. I seen other people on these boards recommend them, also. $30-$40, I think.

QFE

Fantastic small, on-the-ear phones. Incredible sound for the money. Another contender would have to be Grado's SR-60. I have both and I absolutely love em.

Your best bets for sure.

My last favorite pair of in-ear isolation earphones, the JVC marshmellow (http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX33B-Marshmallow-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B000IS1ZZI well mine are black/grey) were put into the laundry by accident and came out sounding much too bass heavy for my taste.. but while they were still dirty, I loved them to death. Never having owned expensive consumer-grade or non-consumer grade earphones or headphones, I thought they sounded great... with a little equalizing (the rock eq on ipods/blackberries helped for me, but... yeah).

Those are pretty cheap now at like $15 a pop (depending on where you get it), and they isolate pretty well.

I replaced them with Sennheisers CX400 a week ago. Got em for $30 on amazon with free shipping. Only issue is that the cable is short (they give you a quality extension cable though). Sound is good, and I don't need any eq.. comfy, and i think these block sound out better.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I took a drive to Guitar Center in Riverdale, today, and brought my list of suggestions from everyone for reference. After talking to the guys there I handed over my debit card and dropped $69 for a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M30 headphones.

They cost more than I was looking to spend (aim was $60, tops), but the sound is better than I've heard in a long time, plus they seem to have good isolation.

I know I could have found them cheaper on Amazon or something, but I decided to support the guy. I hate it when people come to me at work and mine my head for information and recommendations then go buy online. :-x Drives my nuts.

So what do you think, did I at least not get shafted, so to speak?

Well, you could have gotten the Audio Technica ATHM40FS for only $60 on Amazon (could have gotten the ones you bought for only $50), so you got gypped, but I'm sure those are pretty good since Audio Technica generally kicks ass for the price regardless.

Well, you could have gotten the Audio Technica ATHM40FS for only $60 on Amazon (could have gotten the ones you bought for only $50), so you got gypped, but I'm sure those are pretty good since Audio Technica generally kicks ass for the price regardless.

I disagree with this statement (and the non-inclusive language used! lol)... $9 isn't that much. Granted, you would have saved like 10% of what you paid for if you bought them off amazon (provided shipping isn't free), but you got them immediately and received some hopefully credible insight on the matter.

Did you get to try them before you bought them?

I disagree with this statement (and the non-inclusive language used! lol)... $9 isn't that much.

He would have payed less for a model that is a step up from what he bought. I don't know about you, but I would rather pay less for a better set of headphones, especially if it's a long term investment. That said, it isn't a big deal or anything.

He would have payed less for a model that is a step up from what he bought. I don't know about you, but I would rather pay less for a better set of headphones, especially if it's a long term investment. That said, it isn't a big deal or anything.

Whoops, I totally misread your post... :tomatoface:

Great, now you've got me second-guessing myself.

Comparing the headphones I bought (ATH-M30) to the ones on Amazon (ATH-M40fs), the main differences are...

M30 freq response is 20 - 20,000 Hz vs 5 - 28,000Hz with the M40fs

M30 65Ω impedance vs 60Ω with the M40fs

M30 weighs 7oz vs 8.8oz with the M40fs

The M30 has a 1/8" plug and includes a screw-on 1/4" adapter, while the M40fs has a 1/4" and no adapter, so I'd have to buy one of those.

I also read that the M40fs has replaceable elements, cables, and earpads.

So I paid $70 for the M30's, where I'd pay $60 for the M40fs on Amazon (free shipping), and another $5 to $15 for an adapter (what should I look for, there? Does is really matter, or should one pay extra for a higher quality adapter?)

Really, either way I break-even as cost goes, but the thought of getting a better set for the same price is probably going to win out.

I may be returning those M30's this evening or tomorrow morning.

Dale sold me a pair of Shure E2Cs a while back and they're pretty great. I didn't like them at first because they didn't sound a whole lot better than my other pairs and they hurt my ears. But then I replaced the rubber earpieces with the orange foam ones, and the difference was night and day. With those inserts, you're pretty much guaranteed to be wearing them properly (it took me like 5 minutes of fiddling with the rubber ones to get it right) so you get awesome sound, and since they're foam they pretty much double as earplugs. I've mowed the lawn with them and they block out as much sound as actual earplugs, AND I get to listen to NPR! :D

Side note: Skullcandy is having a 50% off sale on their 2008 products.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove a buggy all last summer. Sat beside a 800hp engine for 11 hours a day 6 days a week. Music definitely got me through those long days (I listened to Prophecy's Chekan Winter remix a *lot* that summer!) and what helped me cut out the noise on the cheap was a $25 pair of JVC marshmallows coupled with a cheap ol $3 pair of construction earmuffs.

Decent sound quality with EXCELLENT outside noise reduction. I had to keep the volume super low so i could hear the other guys on the radio.

The earbud/earmuff combo works well with almost any earbud. The downside is that you look a bit goofy if you are not in a big machine or on a job site. You might need to adjust the foam to make room for the earbud too if the earmuffs press to hard against the earbuds causing too much discomfort. The JVCs fit great though.

It may seem sligtly macguyverish, but if you find a good quality earbud, you can add lots of extra noise cancellation for pocket change.

I started a thread earlier about headphones, but to keep everything under the same roof; I'll continue here.

I narrowed my search down to:

- Sony MDR-7506

- Sennheiser HD-280

Right now, based on many reviews, I'm liking the Sony pair better. Both of these closed-ear style headphones, made in order to prevent noise leakage. I read that OpenAire style headphones are supposed to allow for better quality, and preventing noise leakage isn't a major issue for me. So I'm wondering if there are any open-style headphones available in the $100 price range that would be a better option.

Ideas?

Dude for $100 you can get sennheiser HD555s or ATH-AD700s both of which are open. ATH-A700s are the closed version.

Its not just noise leakage btw, open headphones don't fatigue the ear as much for lack of air circulation and don't have quite the emphasis on bass but better overall balance.

[edit]

Who changed the sonic avatar? He's supposed to have green eyes in the older games.