*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Faithfully Blue'

Liontamer

ReMixer: Hollidayrain

Name: Sreyas Krishnan

E-mail: sreyaskr@msn.com

ReMix title: "Faithfully Blue" ( <---Mp3 can be downloaded from this location)

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Song: Azure Lake Zone (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/genesis/s3azurelake.mid)

Platform: Sega Genesis

Having been born in 1991, I didn't have the pleasure of being around during Journey's peak of fame (not even close, really...), but I still love their music. And in this remix of the Azure Lake Zone, I really try to incorporate several elements of their hit 'Faithfully.'

Quick breakdown:

Part 1: Double Reed Duet accompanied by a piano

Part 2: Fast Trance with hyper lead and "wo, oh, OH, oh oh" part from Faithfully.

Part 3: Breakbeat interlude incorporating 'B' melody from the theme and a synth solo.

Part 4: Recapit. of fast trance

Part 5: Piano solo ending

At any rate, this one has been complete for about half a year now but I completely forgot to submit it. I hope you all enjoy it anyways!

Additionally, as of this writing, I am working out the kinks from the Kirby's Block Ball remix.

-H.R

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Azure Lake"

Journey - "Faithfully"

For some reason, there was a lot of crackling and distortion in the encoding, mostly in the beginning. The beats that arrived at 1:10 also had some light distortion that got worse during heavier parts (e.g. 2:56).

The texture at 1:52 was on the empty side because the background wasn't filled out. So don't forget to pad the background out so that the track doesn't sound empty. The overall volume could be pulled back a bit and you should better separate the parts with some EQing. Right now the foreground is on the cluttered side.

Also, part 3.3 of the standards mentions "Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited", and there's too much Journey usage here to allow even a perfectly produced version of this to pass. Suggestion: tweak Journey's "Faithfully" into Mega Man's "Elecman Stage": http://www.ocremix.org/song/id/157/

You could have also write a smoother transition before the themes switch at 2:18; as is, it just feels like one comes after the other with little flow, but that may just be my opinion.

This was better than most of the past stuff you've sent in, so I'll willing to panel it in case the other Js have some insight you can use. Let's see if you can work on it some more to improve it further.

NO

Yeah I liked this one more than your previous subs too, Sreyas. The ideas in it were strong, and I have to admit, the usages of "Faithfully" in this fit perfectly. But as Larry pointed out, not kosher with site standards. "Elec Man" is dang close, only a note here and there off, so that could be an easy swap, though of course, it wrecks with the concept a little.

The drums get really distorted at times, way more than anything else. My guess is it's the compression you've used on that channel, but whatever it is, it doesn't sound good. This may involve using EQ to cut certain ranges that are causing the problems - you might have to play with it. Foreground is a little cluttered though I wasn't that bothered.

Your call on whether this is worth retooling, but either way, I enjoyed it and would love to see you keep submitting.

NO

There are two main issues with this mix.

1. It clips and distorts, a lot.

2. It borrows too heavily from Journey.

I think your instrumentation ideas are good and you have a musical ear, even though it's slightly close to the source(s). You need to work out the production kinks and bring some more original ideas in here. Borrowing from non-VGM is, like Vinnie so cleverly put it, not kosher with site standards.

I think it'll take a lot to get this ready for a resubmition, especially since you need to remove 'Faithfully' but I hope you continue making other remixes. Do spend some time in the Feedback forum and keep improving!

NO