# Additional information about game:

# System: NES

# Song Composer: Hirohiko Takayama

# Original Japanese Name of the game: Kame no Ongaeshi: Urashima Densetsu

# Year: 1990

# Published by: HudsonSoft Company Ltd.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://akumunsf.good-evil.net/X/Xexyz.nsf - Track 1

Not a bad arrangement. The production was rough and lo-fi, with the loudest parts sounding distorted. The core bassline & groove repeated too much through the piece; I liked it, but it could use some variation. Melodically, there were only 3 ideas the whole way at a pretty slow/deliberate tempo. I'd like to see a bit more done with the interpretation of the source melody as well, again to help keep things fresh.

You don't have to change the dynamics here; it works. But more substantive variation of the writing ideas in the front and back would help this groove stay fresh throughout. You'd also need to eliminate the distortion occurring throughout the piece. Really solid base, and definitely cool to see a Xexyz submission; it's been quite a while! Definitely revisit this one and see what else you can do with it, Arturo. Promising so far.

NO (resubmit)

I can get behind the general vibe here, but this has problems on both ends that need to be addressed. The arrangement has some good ideas but those get repeated a lot, and most of the change-ups involve drums. I would have liked some alterations in the parts you kept from the original, and the bassline could have definitely been altered somewhere in there. At times, the drums also sounded very disparate, possibly due to different levels and amounts of reverb. Keeping the effects consistent across the drums and maybe using some compression would make it more cohesive.

Mixing was out-of-whack. The bass and drums were really loud, to the point of making me turn my volume down. The leads paled in comparison, though turning down the bass and drums would probably help that. The attack on the strings was also unnatural and jarring.

Though the concept is good, this will need some major work before we could post it. Take another shot at it, Arturo.

NO (resubmit)

The bass/kick combo was rumbling. Sounds like you had a low-pass filter over that whole section and cranked up the gain too much. The loudest part, like Larry said, even gets distorted, pull it back man! Didn't think there were anything wrong with the instruments, just your mixing of them. I, like my fellow judges, enjoyed the general vibe. The brass-stab thing going from left to right ear does clash with the harmonies a LOT though, even though it's just a percussive element.. I advice you switch it for something else :)

Arrangement-wise this is repeating too much. Like I said, the general vibe is cool but you need to develop this. The bassline, like Vinnie pointed out, needs to be altered from time to time to keep this from getting stale. Overall nice groove but you need to get some new ideas in there!

NO(resubmit)