Your ReMixer name : ekikoo

Your userid: 24138

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: The Battle of Olympus

Name of individual song(s) arranged:

-Title screen

-Ending theme (Credits)

Comments about the mix:

The game is my second favourite game on the NES, and not least because of its soundtrack (in bleeps though). So many fantastic tunes that bring back some memoreis sitting in front of the TV, and yes, this is the case with everyone else when talking about game music.

I've been playing some of the songs with the keys and guitar, and eventually decided to try out a little soft rock piece. I use (rather learning) Cubase SX and some somewhat cheeep vst-plugins, but a friend of mine helped out with his NI Komplete. The guitars are from Boss Gt8.

I haven't mixed that much, I hope someday I'll listen to this and think "boy did I suck back then" :P, but I still like how it turned out, a bit compressed and jagged (?) drums etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/13429 - Track 24

There was some expansive new part-writing, but not much melodic interpretation. 1:33-2:10 sounded completely original as far as I could tell; tied together well with the rest of the arrangement. 2:10's section was still melodically straightforward but gave the source tune a little bit more of a personalized edge; that was going more in the right direction. The production on the snare and cymbals was weird; it had presence, but the drumkit was actually too loud. From 2:10-on, nothing else was really going on besides that and the lead, so the texture was boring. The supporting guitar sounded OK, but wasn't audible enough to make a difference. This was going in the right direction, but the production needs to be touched up, and the arrangement needs more development & interpretation as well.

NO

Nice tune. You mixed a few different instruments into something cohesive, and your writing transitions into and out of the original seamlessly. But like Larry, I thought it was too much their thing then your thing, and not enough combination or overlap of the two. I don't think there's a lot you'd have to do to make it eligible for OCR. Tweaking the original parts you used might be all it takes. I'd also fix those opening chords, because I thought the new ones you tried out were for the worse and not a strong way to open.

The production is also off, though the instrument quality was good. I think the wrong parts of the drums are emphasized, especially the cymbals and hats. You can hear them pretty clearly, when they should be more felt. That comes down to playing with EQ to get a sound that fits into the piece better. The flute is also harsh-sounding and needs to be softer.

I wouldn't mind seeing you take another shot at this. A lot of what's in place is good.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Cool source, never heard of this one before.

Arrangement is playing it cool, clearly presenting the source and then showing off some of your original stuff. The key is mixing the two to create a really interpretive arrangement. You obviously know what you're doing judging from the original parts, so I see no problem with that :)

Production is a little iffy. Drums have some serious reverb and EQ going on which puts heavy emphasis on the cymbals and hi-hat which overpowers the rest of the track. The instruments sounded good but the flute was a bit buried compared to backing guitar and drums, it's supposed to be the lead, right? Also, what's up with 1:12-1:16? I didn't think that filtering really worked but that might be personal taste.

Overall this shows a lot of promise, you just have to kick it up another notch and iron out the few issues that are here. Good work so far, keep it up!

NO(resubmit)