Liontamer

Uh, about that title... - LT

Remixer Name: Willrock07

Email address: will.rock@hotmail.co.uk

Game Arranged: Sonic and Knuckles

Songs Arranged: Lava Reef Zone Act 1

Lava Reef Zone Act 2

Name Of Submission: Lava Reef-arrangement

This remix was originally meant to be a remix of the chrome gadget zone in sonic 3 at first, but I was having a blank with how to start it. To remedy this, I decided to use the intro to lava reef zone for the remix, and somewhere along the line, I decided not to remix chrome gadget at all. That brings my total (failed) attempts at remixing chrome gadget to 3 :D

This is the result - a remix with an awful name cause I couldn't think of a better one :D

Hope you guys enjoy :D

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Lava Reef Zone (Act 1)" & "Lava Reef Zone (Act 2)"

Weird production here. The soundscape sounded both murky, while many of the individual sounds were generally flimsy. Some interesting arrangement ideas though. The core drums were bland during the verses, just like the previous Sonic 3 "Snowboardin' Sonic" sub, which was one reason why I went NO on it. 1:38-2:18 went on an extended break from using the source, but otherwise the source tune was in full force.

Do something about the bland drums at the foundation of the track and figure out how to properly pad the texture in the back so that the soundscape doesn't sound empty despite everything else going on. Decent base so far, this just needs fine tuning.

NO (resubmit)

NO OVERRIDE

Sorry that's how it is, but I refer you to our Submission Standards and Instructions:

You've got to spend more than two seconds on a title, lazy.

This sounds like it could be Lava Reef Zone Act 3. I like some of the arrangement ideas, but the production just sounds cheap, almost like Genesis-level quality (hence the comparison). Your leads and guitar sounds are not bad, but the drums are weak, and the bass and the keyboard most prominent at 2:18 sound tacky. Overall, I wasn't digging the sounds used, especially compared to Snowboardin' Sonic and other stuff I've heard from you.

The instruments were also very upfront and dry. Maybe you were trying for an old-school VGM sound, but this sat in no-mans land, not quite chiptune, not quite synth-pop.

I want to see another go at it, Will. There are good seeds here that need more attention.

NO (resubmit)

Mixing sounds very rough. Some sounds (snare and toms for example) have way too much high-frequency content while others (keys) just sound distant. The sounds used (except the leads which I enjoyed) sound flimsy and cheap. The bass is kinda fun in a 80's-synth-preset kind of way and I could go with that if the track held an otherwise high standard production-wise.

Arrangement had some good passages and personal takes on the theme. The synth-lead noodling worked very well imo. Good stuff. However, based on production, I'll have to go the other way. Do tweak this because it's otherwise groovin'

NO