Golden axe remix in FL

I tend to agree: a collaboration is something you make with somebody, not throwing in a piece and telling someone *here, finish it*. I think it's lazy...

Nice definition of the word collaboration. I do finnish songs for friends sometimes and when the amount of work that is put into a song is around 50/50 I would call it a collab. So maybe thats just your interpretation of the word?

I think calling someone, you dont know, lazy... is plain rude.

You made a remix and you're too lazy to finish it. That's it.

And sure it may be 50/50 but it's not a collaboration...

It's like building a tower. You build half the tower, and let your friend build the rest

BAM you go home you never see him again.

You're not working together on the whole tower... you're doing half the tower on your own.

I made half a remix and I'm curious what others could do to it. Thats it.

quote: "It's like building a tower. You build half the tower, and let your friend build the rest"

I dont see whats wrong with that. As I said.. I've done this before. No one was offended or called lazy afterwards.

quote: "BAM you go home you never see him again."

What are you on about? Did something explode just now?

quote: "You're not working together on the whole tower... you're doing half the tower on your own. "

Yea, you just said that 2 sentences ago.. whats your point?

Not familiar with the source so I won't comment on that. The sound is good for most part, but the high pass-filtered harpsicord-like synth backing during the first half isn't that pleasant, needs some work to not be too shrill or contrast the more subdued section it's in.

Why not finish it yourself? Even if all the sounds you've used are presets, you've got good taste in soundscaping.

I know what your doing with this, dude - don't worry, it could be interesting if anyone bites (I can't - I'm a 'Reason' mixer, so I'm afraid I can't collab with FL Studio).

Critiquing the mix, though (I can't help it), I like where you've taken the original (it's one of those sources that I don't need the actual source posted to know what it is - it's classic, but for those who don't know I've posted a link for it). The techno/orchestra combo you've got is one of those things that rarely work well together (but you seem to have down pretty well, here). The strings and percussion combine well with the rest of the music.

The synth is rather weak, but it works, at the moment. IF you were thinking of ever subbing this to OC, though, the synths would need to use less cliche electronic instruments. If you keep the sample you may be able to get away with it if you automate the sounds like crazy - that normally keeps them J's happy :P.

The static harmonization does wonders for the piece (then it starts playing the actual harmonies later). Harmonizing as you have, it makes the source harmonies sound fresh and new when they come in.

Now if no one takes a stab at this effort (and I personally think this would be better if you finished it yourself so you could keep a consistent sound throughout, but that's not my call :P), I'd say the motion needs to change, where you've left it. We were awed by the synth/orchestra rendition of the material at first - now it needs to break from the source a bit in order to avoid sounding repetitious (always a bad thing). Compose something that is vaguely related to the source (taking bits and pieces and making something new out of them), then bring it back to the source stuff you've already been doing.

I wish you luck in finding a partner in crime on this. If (or when) you get someone else on it, do you plan on leaving it for the other person to do as he wants with it (allowing free compositional reign for the second composer) or are you going to tell them if something works and something doesn't (leaving you as the lead creative artist)? I'd be fascinated to see what someone else could do with this with option #1 (and be equally fascinated to see how you'd finish it on your own).

Hey, why don't you do both and see which one people like better? That would take the best of both worlds - we'd love it, here :-P.

Source - Golden Axe 1 Boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t711UFuxZ8s

Personally, I liked Golden Axe 2's boss music way better, but they're both good in their own way...

Why not finish it yourself? Even if all the sounds you've used are presets, you've got good taste in soundscaping.

That's not the point...

he's calling it a collaboration when he's leaving it for somebody else finish...

It's like spilling soda on the floor and leaving it for somebody else to clean it.

Don't be lazy, finish the mix.

Plus it'll sound bad because the style won't be consistent... it'll be one style for the first half and a completely different style for the second half.

He's calling it a collaboration when he's leaving it for somebody else finish...

It's like spilling soda on the floor and leaving it for somebody else to clean it.

Alright, buddy, that's just harsh. IF the actual mix was terrible then perhaps that analogy would be alright, but the fact is that it's a good mix, atm, and he is curious to see where another person would take it. He is very capable of making the rest of it (as he has shown with the material he has up, now), he's merely curious to see how another persons interpretation of it would change the sound. I've done things like this before - the results are often entertaining for both parties.

Collaborate - act of working jointly

If someone agrees to do what this guy wants then it is a collaboration - it's a bit unorthodox but both parties will be complying with each other (in fact, because of the very specific demand he made he would still be quite involved with it - he just wouldn't be writing the music right next to the collaborator, he'd be more of an organizer). He's asking for a collaboration; if you don't like his idea then don't collaborate with him - stop making bad analogies and trying to stop others that might be willing to help this guy out.

I have to confess, that i like this Tune... But somehow I'm missing some decent drumlines. At some parts the tune builds up and your waiting for something that changes and distrubs that overall chillin-feeling.

Dont give up on it! I often loose inspiration while doing a Remix with Fruity loops, but thanks to the open community you are able to get some directions to go.

That's not the point...

he's calling it a collaboration when he's leaving it for somebody else finish...

Don't be lazy, finish the mix.

Plus it'll sound bad because the style won't be consistent... it'll be one style for the first half and a completely different style for the second half.

I'll say the same thing you said to me in your thread. Quit rambling on about stuff you've already said :roll:

Alright, buddy, that's just harsh. IF the actual mix was terrible then perhaps that analogy would be alright, but the fact is that it's a good mix, atm, and he is curious to see where another person would take it. He is very capable of making the rest of it (as he has shown with the material he has up, now), he's merely curious to see how another persons interpretation of it would change the sound. I've done things like this before - the results are often entertaining for both parties.

If someone agrees to do what this guy wants then it is a collaboration - it's a bit unorthodox but both parties will be complying with each other (in fact, because of the very specific demand he made he would still be quite involved with it - he just wouldn't be writing the music right next to the collaborator, he'd be more of an organizer). He's asking for a collaboration; if you don't like his idea then don't collaborate with him - stop making bad analogies and trying to stop others that might be willing to help this guy out.

I'm just saying. I'm not good with analogies and I didn't mean the remix to sound like spilled soda. :\

(Heck, I didn't even listen to it yet because I don't know the source track)

Thanks for the kind(er) replies people!

Quoting Rozovian:

"Not familiar with the source so I won't comment on that. The sound is good for most part, but the high pass-filtered harpsicord-like synth backing during the first half isn't that pleasant,

needs some work to not be too shrill or contrast the more subdued section it's in."

The "harpsicord-like synth" sounded oldskool 8-bit. I think thats why I left it in at the time... to keep the link to the original a bit? Hmm I'll try to see what I can do about that though, thanks!

"Why not finish it yourself? "

I was thinking of a collab while I was doing this remix. For instance, while I was doing this track, I left out percussion for most part because of this.

"Even if all the sounds you've used are presets, you've got good taste in soundscaping."

Thank you, and you clearly know your synths cuz yes they are preset.

Could I ask you what you do when you're looking for the right synth sound.. You make your own in Albino?

Quoting Gario:

"now it needs to break from the source a bit in order to avoid sounding repetitious (always a bad thing).

Compose something that is vaguely related to the source (taking bits and pieces and making something new out of them),

then bring it back to the source stuff you've already been doing."

That's a great great tip... The remix wasnt made with OCRemix in mind..

But indeed to submit this here, i, or hopefully another ReMixer, will have to put more original passages in it.

And I think right after the orchestral bit is the right place to do that.

You know, I allready submitted something a week ago. It was a redo of the GTA 3 intro song. http://www.nfftrax.nl/trax/625359807-gtalaatste.mp3 .

It was made before I became a member of this site and is way tooo close to the source: http://www.imeem.com/gregorydesigns/music/6n5LYbYh/rockstar-gta-3-theme-song/

So I think it will be a big NO! but one can still hope :D.

"do you plan on leaving it for the other person to do as he wants with it (allowing free compositional reign for the second composer),

or are you going to tell them if something works and something doesn't (leaving you as the lead creative artist)? I'd be fascinated to see what someone else could do with this with option # 1"

Thoug discussion is always possible I would go with option 1. As this is a hobby for me, I like to keep things as exciting as possible.

The results could be great, disastrous or somewhere in between.

Thanks for your time and thoughts, much appreciated for sure!!

Quote AngelsDen:

"I have to confess, that i like this Tune"

Dont take this the wrong way.. but I really had to laugh at that 1st sentence.

"... But somehow I'm missing some decent drumlines. At some parts the tune builds up and your waiting for something that changes and distrubs that overall chillin-feeling."

I left percussion and drums out on purpose for the most part. 1st of all I wanted to try another approach to producing something.

If I would have worked on drums and percussion simulaniously to what I have been working on now... the track might have turned out different.. you know what im trying to say?

I also thought of a online collab with some great remixer while I was doing this track. As you can see the link ot the mp3 points to that C64 remix site.

"Dont give up on it! I often loose inspiration while doing a Remix with Fruity loops, but thanks to the open community you are able to get some directions to go"

Yes indeed! Thank you for your time and thoughts AngelsDen!