*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Profound Desire'

Liontamer

Remixers: HoboKa (main composition) and Cryil the Wolf (bassline)

game remixed: FF7

track: Desire

remix: Profound Desire (original huh? x_x)

link:

Description:

For this particular track, I decided to give it a jazzy style, mixed with orchestral and, of course, VG elements. This track's intended to have a longing feel - much like the original, so it's definately not a happy one. Not that my music is ever all that happy. Also, I had Cryil do the bassline for me - seeing as my bass skills are something next to nonexistant. So, if this gets accepted, I believe that Cyril deserves a round of applause, because (in my humble opinion) he did a sexy job on this here track. Hope to see the results semi soon :D

---------------------------------------------------------------

There is no track on the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack called "Desire". Looked into it and found "Fulfilled Desire" from Crisis Core, which is an arranged medley of several of the more anthemic FF7 pieces. This sub sounds mostly like an "Anxious Heart"/"Main Theme" mix, which is at the beginning of "Fulfilled Desire".

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 104 "Anxious Heart" & 201 "Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII"

Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- Original Soundtrack -

Not to come off dismissive or angry, as I'm not, but this is encountering the same problems as usual. When you stay cover-ish with the source, the ideas sound musical. Once you attempt to really arrange the notes or insert your own original ideas, the writing is awkward and has no flow.

The production here was OK, although the textures were on the sparse side. Cool bass work from Cyril.

I mean, keep at it, but over the long haul you've demonstrated you don't have the ear for writing original melodies. This doesn't sound awful, but it has no direction until 2:30 follows the source more closely. You have a decent ear for giving an existing piece a new mood & style, but not for writing all new material. I'd focus on creating interpretive covers if I were you; you might be able to find your niche that way.

NO

I don't think the arrangement was as problematic as Larry thought. The original melody writing was a bit aimless but I didn't think it was bad. The main hook is the string chords from the original which work well with the rather unpredictable vibraphone melody. The drums are also pretty cool but could sound a little less stiff at times. Still, the actual arrangement lacks developement of the source and some more recognizable arrangement of the source melody.

Production was a bit iffy. Many sounds were bleeding into eachother, the strings especially felt like they had too much reverb and/or release on the samples. The actual string samples could be improved a little bit too.

I think this showed promise but like Larry said you need to get a better feel for writing and rearranging melodies. Keep at it!

NO(resubmit)

Good mood. Reminiscent of the original tracks, but with some interesting instrument choices and added melody. Alex, I thought it was better than your usual stuff because the randomness of notes and drums was toned down, but not entirely. There were moments where it just sounded sloppy like 1:24-1:33, and 2:00-2:10. I do like that you're keeping the phrases shorter and using some repetition. Now you just need to work on the parts that don't. :<

Production was not bad, though it sounded very low-energy. It needed something to stand out more, and also more of a dynamic curve. I guess that's more of an arrangement thing.

Not gonna be the one, I'm afraid. I do feel like you're making slow but steady progress, so keep it up.

NO