*NO* Sonic Advance 3 'Day of Despair'

Liontamer

Contact Information

Remixer Name: phijayy

E-mail address: phil@phijayy.com, jay@phijayy.com

User ID: Tried looking for it, couldn't find it.

Submission Information

Name of the remix: Day of Despair

Name of game arranged: Sonic Advance 3

Name of song arranged: Chaos Angel Act 1

Link to the remix:

Link to the original:

Comments: Really overly dramatic and crazy, this is basically an orchestrated/electronic take on the theme of chaos angel.

My brother and I had tons of fun remixing this...our original intent was to work on it a lil more, but we both decided to submit it to see what you J's think about it.

Thanks again and all the best guys, take care.

-phijayy

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/16011 - (36) "Chaos Angel Act 1"

The piano & strings lacked realism, especially the piano; they didn't sound terrible, but the piano was a weak point. Melody finally kicked in at :53. The mixing seemed odd at 1:07 as the overall sound was kind of distant & lo-fi in a bad way, while the "tss" sound of the beats was louder than the leads. Seemed like the track lacked mids, but that's just looking at Winamp's EQ visualization.

Going back to the boom-tss pattern at 3:21 was OK for a brief moment since it quickly got changed up but the arrangement eventually went back into rehashing ideas from the first few minutes.

Near 6-minutes was pushing it badly with this amount of overall repetition. Refine the core organic-minded sounds, and trim this down. You could honestly make a tighter 3 minute piece instead of a 5:49-long one. Keep at it; y'all are showing some potential.

NO

Arrangement had a lot going on, I liked it a fair bit. Very cool drum change-ups, good use of instruments to cover the spectrum. There were some sections like the speed-up and slowdown and the filtering out that weren't that strong, but overall, it's chock full of good ideas. Level of repetition was kosher by me, but a 4-minute song probably would have been stronger. Mix needed a little more smoothness though; feels like you guys threw down your ideas while you had them and didn't go back and refine them. I've done it too, but you gotta fight that impulse.

Sort of gets me to the next point, the mixing is really out of wack. When the tss is louder than your leads, like Larry said, something is wrong. Way too compressed too. Take off the compression, make the mix sound more balanced, then put some of the compression back and bask in awesomeness. Piano was really dry and upfront, which sounded weird in this mix.

I like what you guys have, but I think it needs some TLC. Keep the good ideas you have but refine the sound picture a little.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I'm 100% with Vinnie on this one. Arrangement had tons of cool ideas but you need to focus it more and make it more cohesive. Speed-up and filtering was weak sections. Good overall personalization though, just have to find that balance and focus your ideas into a shorter, more cohesive piece.

Production was a bit crowded. The piano was, like Larry said, a weak link but I didn't think it was horrible. The compression however is quite over the top though. Take it off, balance your levels (take the drums back a bit) and THEN put some on.. only a little bit helps!

You guys are showing some promise. Keep trying to find that perfect balance of everything, I'm sure you'll get there!

NO(resubmit)