*NO* Golden Sun: The Lost Age 'Follow the Stars'

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: Krow

Submission Info:

Game: Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Song: Yallam

Additional Info: Game Boy Advance game; the composer is Motoi Sakuraba

Original Soundtrack: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gba/index-gr.html (it should be on that page, they have it spelled wrong as "Yallem", though)

I have to say, I was quite shocked when I only saw one Golden Sun ReMix for the first Golden Sun, up on the site. Both game have amazing soundtracks and I would love to see more music from the Golden Sun games. As my first submission to OCRemix, I picked a Golden Sun song. I believe I picked this because it is simple song to start with, but it's just put together so nicely, in all it's simplicity. It was definitely an easy song to shape to how I wanted, and I think I got across most of what I wanted to do. I know it can be much better, however I'm sort of limited to less high-quality sounds. I really enjoyed working with this one though, so expect to see some more Golden Sun music.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Golden Sun: The Lost Age - "Yallam"

The additive piano writing was a nice touch, and the length was extended but the overall structure was too similar to the original. The sounds & ideas are upgraded, but still too similar. The bowed strings and piano chords didn't sound terrible, but lacked realism. Good base here, and the latter half was more expansive, but do more with interpreting the source tune itself and create a more unique mood compared to the original.

NO

Good atmosphere, but almost identical to the original for the first 1:27, and almost entirely original from 2:10-3:59. 1:28-2:10 was the only section that I thought you were striking a good source/original balance, so it's hard to pass this. It feels like two separate songs that transition together.

I like the piano work and the chimes, though more volume changes would have added some detail and realism. The strings were a little muffled and maybe not the best choice for a lead, but when they played a background role, they did the job. Overall, the production was pretty solid, just a couple small areas for improvement.

Would like to see more from you, Krow, but this one might be hard to pass without major reworking.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to add but I'll repeat what I thought were the main issues here. The balance between source and original is off like Vinnie pointed out, parts are either identical or almost completely original. Combine your ideas into a flowing arrangement! Bass and strings lacked realism and the chime pattern got a bit annoying after a while of the same pattern in my opinion. Chimes and piano did sound good though.

Overall the mood is nice but this needs a lot of work before I can comfortably pass it. Keep improving though, you seem to have a good sense of atmosphere and music in general!

NO