JRPGs

PriZm

So I recently finished Persona 4 and was overwhelmed with sweetness. I went on a buying frenzy on eBay and bought a large amount of games, almost all of them from the Shin Megami Tensei series:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Digital Devil Saga 1.

Digital Devil Saga 2.

Persona 3 FES.

Shadow Hearts Covenant.

Any JRPGs on PS2/PS3 you guys would recommend (I don't know much about PS3, although I have played Valkyria Chronicles and had a blast, but I bought Eternal Sonata and never really got into it) ?

Sure thanks. I forgot to mention that I have played all Final Fantasies, DQ8, All Xenosaga and mostly the big name RPGs. I was looking for more obscure ones like the MegaTen series.

ah yes the Megaten series, sadly alot of it is either watered down for the US or just never ported. Spinoffs however have been coming in by the droves more or less, in particularly...

Persona: Revelations has been remade for the PSP, and rumors are abound for it that it will be the version that should have came over in the first place.

Digital Devil Survivor coming out eventually for the DS.

has already been out for a while, good story but gameplay wise may be too reminiscent of old gaming days (random encounters galore)

is coming out in may for the PS2

Anything Megami Tensai/Shin Megami Tensai just ask me if you like. :)!! Hell I even have you as a friend on my PS3 but you never accept my invites for text chats :puppyeyes:

As a side note Amazon has a special preorder where if you preordered that game they throw in a Raidou Frost Doll as an extra, much like the Social Link package Persona 4 preorders had.

raidouhe-thumb.jpg

Got a special some one who'd want it :lol:

For 'modern' JRPGs (read: 3D), go with FFX, Dragon Quest VIII, basically any of the SMT games, and either of the Tales games (Tales of the Abyss probably trumps Tales of Legendia, but both were good). Wild Arms are also fun games.

For classic JRPGs (read: SNES-PS1 style), check out Atelier Iris 1-3, Ar Tonelico 1-2, and Mana Khemia 1 (2 comes out in June). Odin Sphere is another great choice, though it isn't technically a JRPG in the normal sense.

Another great game in general, though it doesn't truly fit into either of these categories, is Okami.

Almost forgot.

for the PS3.

The game play makes me think of a cross between Shanoa's/Soma Cruz's glyph skills/Soul Collecting and when using said skills they are summoned practically as you use a skill/attack as a "shadow" of sorts emerging from your character. Kinda like that shadow boss in Castlevania: OoE.

I'm sure some one else could give a better description.

Wait, they're still coming out with new games for PS2?

It does say PS2 at the end of the vid. :lol:

Who know's how long the PS2 will truly last..? So long as more titles keep coming I don't see it entirely dead just yet. Especially considering if it truly had died already, such a huge backlog lost because of incompatability...

Hm.... Well just going to have to wait and see when it does die...

ah yes the Megaten series, sadly alot of it is either watered down for the US or just never ported. Spinoffs however have been coming in by the droves more or less, in particularly...

Persona: Revelations has been remade for the PSP, and rumors are abound for it that it will be the version that should have came over in the first place.

Digital Devil Survivor coming out eventually for the DS.

has already been out for a while, good story but gameplay wise may be too reminiscent of old gaming days (random encounters galore)

is coming out in may for the PS2

Anything Megami Tensai/Shin Megami Tensai just ask me if you like. :)!! Hell I even have you as a friend on my PS3 but you never accept my invites for text chats :puppyeyes:

Heh I just saw an invitation yesterday and I was watching a movie so I didn't join. Also my roommate uses my PS3 a lot so it is possible that he didn't relay the message...

Sorry man, we should play some SFIV soon.

As for Devil Summoner (Raidou I think ?), I heard it was a watered-down version of the more mature Shin Megami Tensei games, but if it's still good I'll give it a try.

Rogue Galaxy, Wild Arms 3 and 4 (skip 5 and ACF, they're pretty dumb), and Shadow Hearts From the New World as well.

Though I should state that Shadow Hearts isn't part of the SMT series of games. Alas, if it were, we'd probably be getting a part 4.

I don't know if anyone else liked it, but I enjoyed Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. It's a short game, but the story is pretty interesting. That's for PS2.

The original Shadow Hearts is excellent; I almost recommend playing Covenant first though, because it seems like everyone who started with Shadow Hearts was a little disappointed in Covenant. The gameplay is much improved, but the story lacks that weird sort of horror atmosphere the first* did well.

If you haven't played Parasite Eve and you don't mind getting an old ps1 game, I can't recommend that enough!

*Well, technically Koudelka is first.

anso is the jrpg queen. he knows more about that stuff than anyone else i know.

Sup. In alphabetic order, with comments, all for PS2, enjoy:

Ar Tonelico - Extremely quirky 2d RPG with loads of sexual innuendo but a overall good system and story. Check some youtube if you're on the edge.

Atelier Iris - From the same develoepr (Gust) as above game. A bit more serious and traditional but a great throwback to older days. The alchemy system is fun and there are two (count them, two) sequels out there and loads of games in the same universe (earlier Atelier games, Mana Khemia and so on).

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - very un-traditional but rewarding. It's short and hard but offers TREMENDOUS replay value (you only get small parts of the story to begin with). The strategic battle system is unforgiving and brutal but oh so lovely.

Dark Chronicle - The sequel to Dark Cloud is a bit more polished, much prettier and about as close you can get to sandbox JRPG-ing.

Rogue Galaxy - Level 5 (same as Dark Chronicle) really outdid themselves here. Very deep game with tons of sidequests, engaging plot and charming characters. Very unique style, check it out before you buy.

Shadow Hearts/SH: Covenant/SH: From the New World - As dark as some megaten games but with a lot more tongue-in-cheek humor and characters. Personal games that are as good as it gets (especially Covenant) on PS2.

Suikoden V - Because it's a love/hate relationship. It might feel old-school in pacing and battles but the story and characters are awesome.

Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria - if you haven't tried it. Get it.

Also, an extra shoutout to the SRPG genre which has gems like Disgaea, Makai Kingdom and Growlanser: Generations

The original Shadow Hearts is excellent; I almost recommend playing Covenant first though, because it seems like everyone who started with Shadow Hearts was a little disappointed in Covenant. The gameplay is much improved, but the story lacks that weird sort of horror atmosphere the first* did well.

Shadow Hearts the First did very little well, in my mind. The horror aspects were completely negated by the sloppiest, laziest translation I've seen in a long time, and the plot itself fell flat. The only reason I'd recommend playing it at all is so you're not let in the dark on certain plot elements (Alice, Yoshiko, Amon, Roger Bacon, and Albert Simon, mostly). But then again, Covenant explains those pretty well.

Yeah I heard only good things about Valkyrie Profile... It might be my next series when I finish all the Megaten.

As for Suikoden, I only played Suikoden 3 but I didn't like it at all. Does it represent the series well ?

Suikden 3 was not released in Europe so I have not played it.. you'll have to ask someone else :/

Valkyrie Profile is pure awesome. Star Ocean is too but I figured you'd played that too, right?

Suikden 3 was not released in Europe so I have not played it.. you'll have to ask someone else :/

Valkyrie Profile is pure awesome. Star Ocean is too but I figured you'd played that too, right?

Yeah I've played Star Ocean Till The End of Time. I liked it very much, but never got to finish it because it was very buggy with my PS3.