*NO* Ultima 7 'Brittanian Tavern'

Liontamer

The following link leads to my submission to OverClocked ReMix, entitled Brittanian Tavern.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Remixer name: Olarin

Email address: olarin42@yahoo.com

OCR forum userid: 23257

Please include as collaborator:

Remixer name: smokris

OCR forumserid: 27484

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

Game name: Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Song name: Marketplace

ADDITIONAL GAME INFORMATION

Published in 1992 by Origin for DOS

Composers: Dana Glover, Raymond Benson, Kathleen Jones, Herman Miller, David R. Watson, Kirk Winterrowd

Original soundtrack:

.ogg recordings available here:

or here:

original midi files available here:

(the .ogg files are recordings of the midi files on the sound card they were intended for)

Screenshot suitable for entry in OCR database:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ultima-vii-the-black-gate/screenshots/gameShotId,8717/

ADDITIONAL SUBMISSION INFORMATION

This submission is actually a relatively old track; it's a live performance from 2002, from my high school band, pragmatic illusion (http://pi.softpixel.com). Hopefully the production won't be too much of an issue; there's a lot of ambient noise from the coffeehouse where it was recorded (including a friend of ours playing with a set of wooden domino tiles at a table in the back), but in this case I think all the background sounds lend the recording an appropriate ambiance, since the original tune was used in taverns and other sorts of social gathering places in the game (hence the ReMix title), and I wanted to give it some additional exposure so as to share it with anyone who might enjoy it.

If this is accepted, please give credit in the write-up to the musicians involved:

Bradley Mellen (Olarin): keyboard (lead)

Steve Mokris (smokris): electronic drumset

Jenna Dalbey: electric violoncello

Tina Kemp: keyboard (bass)

Steve would like to be included as a collaborator; I included his forum ID above.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ultima VII: The Black Gate - (09) "Marketplace"

The recording quality's pretty strong, even though the overall levels were way too quiet. No issue with the ambient noise of the room; it was a nice touch. If there are individual recordings of this, I'd redo the mixing, but I imagine that's not the case.

Overall though, the performance was a bit bland. The textures were pretty sparse, thus there was too much empty space. I thought the comparative fullness of the lead keyboard from 1:24-1:36 made me think that issue was over, but after that it was still pretty empty.

The bass has no presence at all until 3:07, which was a shame, since that was supposed to anchor the arrangement to the source tune at all times. Then at 3:07, the bass was creeping toward the muddy/indistinct side. Gotta find the sweet spot.

The cello performance was a good concept, but a weak link as far as the performance IMO; perhaps that's just me, so I'd like a second opinion on 2:24-2:36. Both the bass and the cello should have both been louder. The percussion sounded good, and did a decent job of filling out the soundfield, but needed to be pulled back some (except during the percussion solos).

Arrangement-wise, the dynamic contrast was a bit lacking. I'd probably be able to get over that if the mixing was well-executed.

Interesting arrangement with some expansive qualities, but I thought the sum total of smaller issues was enough to hold it back.

Obviously this can't be re-performed, but if there are separate master recordings of the parts, this could be put in a passable state.

NO (resubmit)

I liked your band's expansion of the original, turning this into more of a jam. It felt a little directionless though (as jams can) and I would have liked more dynamic contrast, especially in the drums which played about the same level the whole song. I liked the ambient noise too but sometimes those dominoes got loud enough that you'd have to give them collaborator status. :lol:

The recording was good, but mixing was too out-of-whack. All you can hear for most of this song is the keyboard and drums. The cello and bass were barely audible even during their solos. I don't think it's polished enough that we can take it. Sorry, Bardley. (Heh, that was a typo, but I think I'll leave it.)

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

This is really very quiet. The balance is a bit off too with the drums and keyboard being the only really audible instruments. The mix also lacks an depth and most instruments sound a bit hollow.

Expansion of arrangement wasn't bad but execution is lacking. Some of the passages sound sloppy (not strange since it's a jam), the arrangement in itself feels directionless, the cello is out of tune several times (example: 2:24, very audible) and overall it felt a bit disjointed.

Sorry Brad, using some of these ideas in a new arrangement might be a better idea in my opinion.

NO