*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Ape Fear'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Chinballz

e-mail: Hellmeppo_92@hotmail.com

Game: DonkeyKong Country

Song name: Fear Factory -theme

Remix name: ape Fear

Additional:

A couple of weeks ago I had a moment of enlightment, remembering just how much fun the DKC-series was, remembering how I used to play them a toddler.

Before I changed my mind I went to the computer and tracked down a copy of it. While waiting for the game to get shipped I started working on this remix, a remix of the wonderful theme to FearFactory.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hahaha! Your handle is pretty stupid, Marcus, but let's see what you got. :lol:

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkc - "Fear Factory" (dkc-20.spc)

I hear the kind of trancey/club style you're going for, but the arrangement's a bit too repetitive and underdeveloped for me to fully get behind it. From 2:46-on, the ideas basically retread, and it didn't retain my interest. Even before then, the arrangement should be doing more in terms of melodic interpretation, and the beat patterns during the verses got played out pretty quickly. I enjoyed the dynamic changeup during the chorus (featuring the piano) the first time.

It was close, and I don't mean to shortchange what does work about this, but a bit more development and evolution of the ideas would make things more interesting and put this over the top for me.

NO (resubmit)

Tempted to give you the YES just for the mix title. :nicework:

Very cool sound design and effects going on here, but I thought the mix was a little empty and simplistic. 0:33-1:37 doesn't evolve much, holding the same patterns and just increasing the intensity of the drums. Would have been nice to see another instrument in there. The piano chorus was a cool change, though again, felt empty. By contrast, 2:18 and onward felt more filled out with the resonanced synth. The ending was basically a retread of earlier sections, combining the two sections. Would have been nice for the piano to play different notes each time. Pretty much, I just want to see more variety. Mood and style is great and the song does evolve, but not enough, and the way the source is used is pretty static and falls back on repetitions too much.

NO (resubmit)

Some good sound design but overall, like Vinnie said, it seems empty. I thought the bass lacked energy and presence, which is especially touchy when it comes to this genre. Arrangement had the right idea and feel but was repetitive. I suggest evolving your source usage more during the track with different instruments, different variations and developement. Making the backing less static would also help. Keep it up though, you obviously have talent!

NO(resubmit)