3:38/192kbps/5.01 MB

Contact Information

ReMixer Name: J3

Email: softsynth@gmail.com

Userid: 24227

Submission Information

Game: Super Metroid

Songs: Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area, Opening ~ Destruction of the Space Colony

Comments: I've always enjoyed this track. There have been plenty of rearrangements of it, but I tried to make this one stand out.

I'm a remix n00b, but I tried to get a lot of interpretation into this one even though my production isn't stellar. I used

the best free soundfonts I could find. Using 128 MB of RAM and a 450 Mhz processor, I pulled this together, almost frying my hardware. So enjoy. Special thanks to the WIP board where I got tons of advice.

Thanks

-J3

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sm - "Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area" (sm-20.spc)

Not terrible, but not cohesive either. Those snare drum didn't fit, and the piano sequencing was mechanical. Since those were the two main elements of the track, the whole execution was going to suffer as a result.

Creative arrangement though, Jay. Hopefully the other Js can give you some good feedback on how to improve your usage of these sounds.

NO

Very cool arrangement, it's pretty easy to see what you were trying to do with it. I liked what you did with the piano a lot, the runs and the high notes were very pretty. Harkened back to the source every time it seemed like it was getting too far away. You definitely did make this stand apart.

But yeah, production-wise it's not there. The instruments don't sound realistic enough, simple as that. Piano felt too upfront and overwhelmed the other instruments, and the snare also sounded distant. You obviously put effort into making the piano articulations sound humanized, but there were moments that stuck out, like the intro. At some parts the left hand or right hand also sounded too loud compared to the other.

The WIP forum might be able to help you along with this one by pointing out the weak spots. I think this is most of the way there though, continue working on it!

NO (resubmit)

Arrangement is solid, great ideas all around. As you might've guessed after two votes though the production is the issue here. The instruments doesn't sound real and they're mixed a bit awkward, the piano being a bit too upfront. The piano sequencing, although I can hear your try, really suffers in my opinion because to me this is basically a piano arrangement and a piano arrangement without a realistic piano sound/playing is a no go. I suggest getting some more feedback or perhaps even talk to some performers or seasoned remixers to record/sequence your arrangement for you as a collaboration.

Overall a great arrangement lacking in execution and production. I hope you find a way to make this shine because I'd love to have an improved version on the front page.

NO(resubmit)