*NO* Kirby 64 'Crisis at the Beach!'

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: Maxo

Email: maximum28@aol.com

Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Name: Aqua Star (or Seashore in some OSTs)

Additional Info:

-Composer: Jun Ishikawa

-System: Nintendo 64

Link to original:

Comments:

It's been a very long time, and through rejections and other frustrations I stopped submitting remixes I had made to the site until I got good enough to blatantly outdo myself. Sure enough, I've .. blatantly outdone myself. Sooo, here I am with a new remix. After getting an almost disgusting amount of practice remixing every song in Kirby's Dreamland 2 (I wanted to, I really did), I listened back to some Kirby 64 music, and the theme for level 3-1 stuck out as something I could really get creative with. So I did, and I polished it off in one night. Now... I might regret that, but I think it sounds great. The original has a fittingly tropical feel to it, but I decided go for a funkier sound. However, I meld it with some other styles later on. It gets pretty heavy. I think that sometimes, with remixes I miss the mark entirely, but other times, like this one, I'm spot-on with what I'd like to accomplish. I'm really confident in this one. Thanks! The file is attached!

-Max

--------------------------------------------

http://hcs64.com/usf/sets/kirby64usf.zip - 20 "Aqua Star"

Not bad, although the sounds are thin and the lead at :28 was too bright & upfront. Compared to "Syrup's Secret Stash" the mixing here sounded too squeaky clean and could have used a little more room ambiance or just something to glue the sounds together more. The guitar at 1:18-1:25 padded the track out nicely; gimme some more of that.

What's up with the perc from :57-1:11? The cymbal crashes sounded more like static than cymbals; seemed to crowd out other elements in the soundscape.

The background at 2:23 writing seemed dissonant with the melody.

The ending at 3:04 was a TERRIBLE resolution. :lol: It cut off abruptly too, but I'm talking about the writing.

I'm feeling the arrangement, even if some of the synths were shrill and unpleasant. Perhaps touch some of that up, but the main thing I'd like to see is the soundscape fleshed out and glued together better.

NO

Love this theme, love this game.

Interesting ideas, but I feel like your execution doesn't really bring it all together. You've got some weird sound balance issues; the lead sounds really dry and separated from the mix. Those crash cymbals really sort of takeover the whole hi-end when they start splashing like that.

Everything sounds tightly compressed together in this mix; very dry, very squished. Could use some opening up.

I don't mind your ending at all.

NO, resub

Arrangement was not bad, a sort of light funk take. There were some cool sounds and moments. Lot of elements felt thin though and I think some beefier instruments would have worked better. Ending was weird, not sure what to think of it.

Mixing needed some work. Lead is too loud, 1:00 section is too loud, 2:23 doesn't have the fullness it needs. Overall the mix feels unpolished. I wouldn't have minded more reverb or elements that filled out the background too. A lot of stuff feels foreground-y.

I don't think it's quite there yet, and I'd like to see another go at it.

NO (resubmit)