* BlackPanther

* Rashad Hill

* rashad_hill@yahoo.com

* http://www.myspace.com/dablackpantha

* Goldeneye 64

* Disused Military Depot

* ?

* ?

* I took it kinda hard when I was told to resub this and I almost didn't do it. But I had a few people that I should and then I realized that I'm not that good and that the judges are here to help and not to down anyone lol. So here I am with the resubbed version and I hope all of you guys enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hahaha! Don't take it hard to be asked to resub. Most submissions don't even get that. Man up and continue to improve.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12212 - 113 "Depot"

Opening strings sounded a bit too distant, but the sample quality sounded pretty decent. Actually once things picked up at :49, there's still not much high-end.

Synth lead at 1:31 is still a poor fit, IMO. It's too upfront and too grating. Pull it back and make it less abrasive.

Treble on the cymbals was still too much, even though it was adjusted. That needs to be pulled back, yet the rest of the soundscape could have used more high-end to lend a little more clarity.

The soundscape also still felt like it was missing one more element to glue everything together from 2:00-2:23 & 2:29-2:41; it was still fairly empty. The brass at 2:41 worked a lot better in filling out the soundfield a bit more.

An improvement, but it still needs a couple of production tweaks to get this sounding fully balanced & cohesive. The arrangement ideas were interesting. Hopefully the other Js can really dissect the mixing issues so you can get this sounding it's best. I'd say it's about 80% of the way there, but you're not there yet in terms of making sure the fine details are in place.

Don't get thin-skinned & wuss out. We've told you and we're continuing to tell you that your stuff shows good promise. Don't be discouraged, and keep working toward improvement so that your production skills become second nature.

NO (resubmit)

It was an improvement over the last version, Rashad. Better balancing and filling out the soundscape. Not sure what you did there exactly, but it worked. I'm totally feeling this one up until 1:31. I feel bad telling you last version that the effects were what was making that instrument stand out, because I think it's more the instrument itself that doesn't work. You did work it in better, but it just isn't that compelling as a lead, and I think a sharper sound and maybe higher octave would suit the track better. Possibly reduce the flange. The instrument at 2:15 works better as a lead to me, though even that one could be more compelling.

Basically my only concern with this track is 1:32-2:14. If you can fix that lead, I'd be cool with passing this. This pretty much makes this a conditional YES, but with a change that drastic, I don't like to call it a conditional.

Please don't give up, dude. This type of dedication to your work will not only help this track, but future tracks.

NO (resubmit)

I like this. It's very Bond-ish indeed--nice ambiance on the train FX. I personally didn't have any qualms with the choice of synths or anything like that. And I enjoyed the intentional grating effect. Arrangement seems fine to me, and I enjoyed the drumwork. My main gripe is that the overall mastering has the bass just a little bit too loud. And since it rides on basically 2-3 notes for a majority of the time, it was a little bit obstructive of the rest of the mix, IMO. I personally had no gripes with the treble on your cymbals and stuff.

I'd just personally ask for a minor production tweak, pull the bassline back a bit, and if you feel so inclined, changeup the synth patches in the places that my fellow J's seemed to find a bit abrasive.

I'll echo the desire for a resub, because you're on the doorstep, bro. More Goldeneye love!

NO