ReMixer name: halcyon

Email: halcyonmix@gmail.com

UserID: 23301

Game: Chrono Cross

Individual Song: Time of the Dreamwatch

Name of Remix: Marihana on My Mind

Link:

Comments:

This is one of my first remixes, and it's rather old. Submitted just for the hell of it. I was too afraid to submit it at the time of it's completion because honestly I just didn't think it was up to the standards (but don't let that affect your judging ^_^). Also, just fyi, the original project file is gone and there will be no resubbing of any kind regardless of the decision.

Rock on.

PS this song goes out to K.B.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tough source, since it was written like a medley; didn't even sound like a very cohesive song to me, but let's see what we've got.

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 307 "Time of the Dreamwatch"

Intro picked up a bit at :12. The beats and bowed strings brought in at :30 were pretty tame; the lack of realism with the string articulations was weak, but they were relegated to the background.

After some breakbeats, 1:20 moved into the "Chrono Trigger" portion of the source, before changing to another section of the theme at 1:50, then cycling back to the Dream Shore part at 2:07.

The construction basically rehashed from the same bag of tricks from 2:07-3:11, which was uninteresting, before slowing things down and rebuilding back to 3:41.

Overall, something I could see making it back in the early days, but it's not put together cohesively enough compared to what's approved now. The core beatwork was vanilla (e.g. :30-1:13) and the breakbeat cameos (e.g. 1:13-1:20, 3:26-3:39) didn't mesh with the general direction IMO. The overall textures weren't bad, but still were relatively sparse and lacking in cohesive energy. It's an older piece, so hopefully Andrew's moved past that. Not bad though.

NO

I like a lot of the individual components of the song, but like Larry, I didn't think it was cohesive. The original is written like a medley, but the sections flowed together better in that original than this, which does drastic changes at each new section. I'd say this actually suffers from having too many ideas! :-P I also thought you used too much panning, which made it hard to focus. I definitely would have kept the lead more centered, and done less hard panning with the drums. Sound design-wise this is still pretty damn cool like your Tetris Attack sub, but I thought that song was a lot more cohesive and polished.

And production-wise, there are parts that are too loud, and in sections the instruments floated over the drums rather than sitting with them. I think you've got a better handle on that stuff now. Sorry, but I wasn't feeling this enough.

NO

• 2 months later...

Production is scorching loud. The panning of, quite frankly almost every instrument, is distracting and makes the loudness even more disturbing. However the sound design is, as always with you Andrew, very strong. I thought it was still below your recent mixes but certainly not bad.

Arrangement had some issues. The track doesn't sound cohesive and switches "style" often and quite abruptly to introduce a new theme. A more focused arrangement approach would've made this much better. Beats were at times a bit simple and out of place too. The personalization is still good as per usual with your mixes but seemed to rely more on the backing than actually arranging the melodies.

I don't feel bad for rejecting this because I know you're twice as awesome nowadays Andrew. Keep doing what you're doing! :)

NO(don't resub, make new awesome mixes instead!)