Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2586

Remixer name: Colin J. Stewart

Email: colinjstewart@gmail.com

UserID: 24598

Game arranged: Final Fantasy VIII

Song arranged: The Extreme

OST link (archived PSF version is missing the first 20 seconds):

Remix name: Extremism

Remix link: (will re-direct to the mp3 file)

This is actually a resub of something I made almost four years ago ( -- here's a link to the original remix -- ). The original remix had atrocious sample quality and non-existent production values, and was rightly rejected. I took a three-year break from composing after finishing it before deciding to take another stab at it.

This time, I was going to do it right, so I picked up FL Studio and some decent samples, and then put almost nine months into it (off and on -- but mostly on). There were so many things I'd never done when I started this remix -- working with drums and electric guitars, humanizing a track, using effects like reverb and distortion, EQing, writing harmonic lines ... to name just a few. The amount I had to learn was staggering. And it didn't make it any easier that this is something of a kitchen-sink remix -- the combinations of instruments changes almost every four bars, and hardly ever repeats -- not exactly the best remix to start learning about production.

But I'm happy about the results. And I'm going to take a break from remixing for now. Probably not for three years though.

I should mention that this is a remix mostly from the introduction (0:19 to 1:23) of the original -- the acoustic guitar, harp (?), piano and voice parts. If there's any concern that this has too much new material and not enough of the original, let me know -- I'd be happy to give a breakdown of how each part is linked to the original.

Cheers,

-Colin

PS An alternate (and rejected) title was "The Extremix" ...

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 409 "The Extreme" (no effects)

The mixing was a weak point here; lots of muddiness here, but I can somewhat understand why you went that route. Several of the parts were pretty thin, so adding some verb did thicken up the texture. Still, the FL Slayer-ish electric guitar, the piano, the bowed strings, and the snare drum all sounded pretty thin despite the effects. Except for the guitar, they're not terrible samples, but they do lack body. The synth guitar sequencing was very mechanical sounding as well, which always exacerbates the weak, unrealistic tone of the synth.

Definitely some really crunchy stuff around the 5 minute mark; 5:07 sounded like some bad clipping/distortion.

Arrangement wise, the concept is good overall. I thought there were some points where the piano would be the only major connection to the original, yet the other parts were burying it, but that could be tweaked. Still, I think this would have a ways to go to get the execution/production up to par. If you wanna keep at this (and I think you should), don't be afraid to wade into our ReMixing and Works forums.

NO

ROFL, THE EXTREMIX!

That aside, this remix has got some major issues. The quality of the samples are overall so-so and the guitars are just horrible. I'd recommend you to collaborate with one of our many talanted guitarists because this will NOT work. There was a lot of mud and unwanted distortion, especially around the 5 minute mark like Larry pointed out. Most instruments sit in the same frequencies and thus clash pretty bad with eachother, clean it up man! The drums are very stiff to, the ride cymbal for example is just one sample and lacks variation. Just to name one thing :)

The arrangement is not bad. Some clever writing (including the epic intro) and personalization. Some more overt connections to the source would be preferable to make it feel more connected but it's off to a good start!

Overall the production is really holding this back. I urge you to check out #ocrwip on irc.enterthegame.net and our WIP forum. Good luck!

NO

I like this, there's a good mix of instruments and great partwriting and flow. I wasn't thrown off by the introduction of shakuhachi (?) around 3:40, so that's a sign you know how to make disparate ideas come together. The guitar at 6:10 was a little much, but that was my biggest gripe.

This was a good arrangement in need of more realism and better mixing. Some of the instrument quality just won't cut it. The guitars sound fake, and the strings are a step above that. I'd say you did a decent job with articulation and smoothness, except for a couple problem sections; just find some better samples and (nicely) ask someone on the site to play the guitar parts. This is swimming in reverb which really hurts clarity. With better samples, you won't need to rely on reverb to fill it out.

I know it's disheartening to spend nine months on something only to have rejected, but it is still usually time well spent, improving your game. If you're up to it, I'd love to hear another version with some more solid production. Pick the brains of the people in the WIP forum; a good arrangement like this will usually inspire others to help you polish it. :smile:

NO (resubmit)