*NO* Tales of Symphonia 'Dark Corner'

Liontamer

Submitted by KyleJCrb on behalf of the Summoning of Spirits album - LT

Christian Pacaud - "Dark Corner"

Source: It Can Waver and Fight

LT Edit: Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjA3Rmt6Mw8

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tales of Symphonia Original Soundtrack - (421) "It can waver and fight"

The opening rhythms here will leave a lot of people wondering what the hell is up with this.

And maybe I just don't have the patience today, but how exactly is the actual source tune used in this? :lol: It's difficult to piece together quickly. Anyone mind taking a stab at it? I'll be coming back to it later.

The drums were a dealbreaker IMO. Not sure why the chosen snare was so flimsy, but there was just a lot of dead space here when those drums were in play. I'm always a fan of CPac, but regardless of the arrangement, the background needed better fleshing out.

NO

I don't feel like we get much weird time-signature prog stuff here, so this was nice to hear. The intro rhythms are attention-catching but straighten themselves out once other instruments come in, which is a cool effect. I like your guitar tones a lot.

There were very large swathes of this with no source, if I got it right. By my count, these parts pull from the original melody:

0:22-0:43

1:06-1:25

3:08-3:16

There's another part at 3:19 that starts similarly to 3:08 but strays after the first couple notes. That's definitely not enough source for this - sorry, man. Like always, if you or another judge has another I missed, I'm all ears.

NO

Edit (3/11): I relistened to the parts Anso pointed out. 2:23-2:45 is pretty close to the source, with a couple notes moved around. I'd count that one. I wouldn't count the other two sections he pointed out, because they feel too liberal. So it's still a NO for me.

I found quite a few additional ties.

1:28 -> bears some resemblance to a small motif in the source but not enough to count in my opinion.

1:49 - 2:23 contains arranged material from 0:37 - 0:40 (and similar all the repetitions of this) in the source.

2:23 - 2:45 is 0:27 from the source.

106 seconds of source usage if we count all that together with Vinnie's breakdowns. 1:40 - 2:23 is borderline though. Still that's not over 50% (50% being 111). Since the connections are quite vague I don't think the arrangement cuts it even though I enjoy your playing and obviously the I-like-Meshuggah-stuff.

The production wasn't perfect either. The drums felt quite weak and flimsy and took away a bit of the "heavy" from the track. Bass and guitar was pretty well balanced though. There's some clipping on the toms at for example 0:47~48 and 1:27 that is quite ugly.

Sadly I can't pass this as is. It's mainly the arrangement lacking focus and recognizable source. The execution is quite good but the production (drums especially) could definitely be improved. Good ideas man, I enjoyed it, but it needs some more work!

NO