*NO* Star Control 2 'Blue Angel'

djpretzel

Here's remix of the Syreen Theme from Star Control 2. Remix style is Mark Veraish, 80s with some modern sounds (follows same steps as my Laser Squad remix). Quite faithful to the original with few own additions and more structure. Official remix to the Ur-Quan Masters remixing project, the pack 4 has not been yet released at the time of writing this.

Remixer: Mark Vera

Email: markvera at spacesynth.net

forum id: 3990

File:

original: http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursors/music/modules/SYREEN.MOD

Please update my artist information, email and webpage mostly.

I wasn't really sure about the difference of these tags, as the Winamp 2.91 doesn't seem to be able to edit the other one.

4.2.1 TAL Album/Movie/Show title ALWAYS = http://www.ocremix.org

4.2.1 TOT Original album/Movie/Show title ALWAYS = Exact Name of Game E.G. = Actraiser

// Jouni

--

Jouni Airaksinen // www.markvera.net

As Mark Vera himself said, this is quite faithful to the original. I don't think the arrangement is enough really. The drumwork is excellent though repetitive. Speaking of repetitive the whole mix is just that. This is so long and drawn out, by the 4 minute mark I was already expecting it to end. Not bad at all, this has very nice production values, but the lack of arrangement and the length of it doesn't sit well with me.

NO

Thanks a lot for providing the MOD, Jouni. Yeah, I gotta agree with Gray though. The arrangement's not particularly different or greatly improved at all. You really need to overhaul the sounds and feel to make it work, and the drumwork doesn't do enough alone to make that happen. Not a bad update when compared to the original, but I would have changed some things around, particularly that bell-like lead coming in at 0:31 and saw wave at :48, which I felt clashed with the additions you made.

The vox coming in at 2:24 could have used some reverb on it for some depth. Sounded really tacked on and exposed. Doing another iteration of the melody at 3:36 showed there wasn't much relative development going on at all. I loved hearing this take some turns with the stronger melody at 4:25; could have used that a while ago, as opposed to the flimsier stuff earlier. Play around with some more ideas. Even shaving off 3 minutes I not sure I would YES this, because the delivery wasn't too strong.

I've heard better cover-style mixes from Mark in the past. In any case, he's had some hits and misses with the submission process with these SC2 mixes, so I don't think he'd mind this not making it as is. He shouldn't as he's had a lot of high-quality stuff posted from the Ur-Quan Masters project. Sincerely can't wait for the next one.

NO