Mega Man 2 - Wily 1 -- For You - Vox Mix

AkumajoBelmont

Here's something I started working on yesterday!

Dr Wily 1 source (as if it's needed :D ):

AkumajoBelmont - For You [WIP 1]:

http://www.box.net/shared/i54tmv3c9q

SMALL UPDATE: AkumajoBelmont - For You [WIP 2]:

http://www.box.net/shared/qaa7arsvpr

WIP 3 - The one with the second verse:

http://www.box.net/shared/atmqzbfpmh

WIP 4 - see page 4 for a list of updates

http://www.box.net/shared/dlbz52kfvh

WIP 5!!! - see page 6 for details and changes

http://www.box.net/shared/3gojobov2s

Always loved this theme, despite it's over-mixed status. However, I think what I've got here is a rather different take on it. It's a vocal Dr Wily mix... was listening to SEDUCTiON's 'Chillout' take on the theme, and I started to hear lyrics to it, so I put them to paper. Fast forward 24 hours, and this is what I've got so far.

It's very different to anything I've done before... I don't think I've created anything so close to this dark remix-wise... I've only the first verse and chorus so far, so it's a bit short at the moment...

I've sampled SEDUCTiON's killer Vocal Pad from his track. Always loved it- it's so haunting, and I thought it a fitting homage to SEDUCTiON. I've put it behind the chorus. I know this is a grey area, and anyone who can help me get in contact with him/her to ask for permission, the help would be much appreciated!!! If it turns out anyone is opposed to this, I'll re-record the vocal pad section with my cousin Stephanie.

Well, I hope you guys dig what I've got so far...

The vocals are a bit rough at the moment, but I'll work on re-recording some of them.

Here's the lyrics:

------

[VERSE 1]

Her words unspoken, with silence to blame.

How she tries

to gain the courage to understand why

it came to be this way.

These words of wisdom, time and again,

go unheard.

He knows it's not her fault

that it was all in vain..

..we all bleed the same.

Our differences are great,

but not enough to separate us from their lies.

We tried; We did our best.

Why can't you look into my eyes?

[CHORUS]

And she said "my friend you know there's nothing we can do

Just let it go.

Secrets never show themselves.

You'll learn to just move on,

Till then this song is for you."

And he said "the only way to learn is to experience the pain.

In that way we're the same" Oh...

They turned around and parted ways.

This song is for you.

[VERSE 2]

So it's been written through the ages of time.

From pens of ancient masters to prose of the modern mind.

A tale to be told.

And now we find them holding onto their faith.

They've tried all that they could,

but we know it's just to late...

...to not end up alone.

The Jury overthrown.

Their differences are few,

but not enough to see them through.

It's such a shame.

They wonder whose to blame...

...or is it just that we're the same?

------

Lemme know what you think! All feedback is appreciated :D

-Robbie.

Hey, this is a really cool concept. A few thoughts...

1. The mixing sounds kind of imbalanced. There are some REALLY high frequencies that are hurting my ears on headphones, sounds like some kind of pad (it comes in at the very beginning).

2. Vocals are cool but could use some nice reverb and maybe a bit of a high-end boost (one of the only things that DOES need such a boost in the mix).

3. The bass is really quiet.

Might seem like nitpicking but I really like the concept. Keep working on it, I can't wait to hear more.

I'll try to tackle some lyrical criticism.

Her words unspoken, with silence to blame.

How she tries

to gain the courage to understand why

it came to be this way.

These words of wisdom, time and again,

go unheard.

He knows it's not her fault

that it was all in vain..

What I will say is: Nice job on fitting this verse (especially the bold parts) into the song without it sounding... really corny. I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing how you're going to fit the next verse(s) into this melody-thing. (And perhaps even inspiring, makin me wanna keep working on some project of my own.)

but not enough to separate us from their lies

I do like how you included "their lies", but you rush the "us" and I'm not so sold on that... well, it's actually not that bad after I've listened to it a bit more.

...oh and, that's a really catchy chorus. "Just let it go / Secrets never show" - so smooth and awesome.

Crap, so much for criticism, it's bordering on acclaim. Which, I guess, is a good thing, but won't necessarily help you improve this. Then again, "all feedback is appreciated," so... yeah.

Thanks for all the awesome feedback!

* Zircon, I'll make sure to take your suggestions on board... I'm on my way with fixing them now. The bass I'm not to sure of... I don't want it to be too powerful, but I'll trial it with a sub-bass line.

Again thanks... I'll record the second verse as soon as I'm able to!!! It's all written and ready to go.

I wonder what this would sound like with some lekkie guitar power chords in it. Would that be too cheesy???

Peace.

Wow, I never imagined it to sound like this! The genre isn't one I'm used to listening to, but it works very well here.

You know, If you add reverb to the vocals, don't do too much... I like the dry sound they have, personally, because it seperates them from the rest of the wet mix... it also helps us hear the lyrics :).

I like how you fill out your mix at 1:17. It's like you hold back for some time, letting us have it later. Are you gonna keep the mix full for the second verse, or drop it down again? If you drop it down, be careful; I don't think the listeners would appreciate that drop in sound again. If you keep it full, again, be careful; there's probably gonna be a climax somewhere, and it'll make it difficult to achieve. Tricky waters to tread here - I trust you'll make it work.

I don't think the guitar will help the mix... I like the electronica sound, right now. The guitars are too cliche and bland for the mix :)

I'll be listening in, so keep goin'!

Ok, just a wee update.

http://www.box.net/shared/qaa7arsvpr

Just fixed the vox... a little more verb added... I've used a 4th reverse style reverb to take a little of the dry sound off. Also reduced the de-tune on the Trance synth. Also sounds a little cleaner. Brought down the kick just a tad, so it's not as in your face. It still is, just a little less standy-out-y. Also fixed that really hi-freq buzz sound... it's less killer on the ears now :D

Gonna work on the bass lines... haven't gotten anything workable yet though.

Just fixed the vox... a little more verb added... I've used a 4th reverse style reverb to take a little of the dry sound off.

Alright, sounding good. This is really subjective, since the reverb is already pretty subtle, but I'd tone it down just slightly - I really liked how close-up and warm the vocals were in the first one, although it obviously needed a little reverb. Any discernible echo/delay adds distance. My 2c.

--Eino

I've got some ideas for verse 2:

------

And so it's written through the ages of time.

From the pens of ancient masters to the prose of the modern mind.

A tale to be told.

So now we find them holding onto their faith.

...to not end up alone.

The Jury overthrown.

Their differences were few,

It's such a shame.

------

I had some other lyrics written, but I don't fell that they worked all that well... great on paper, sucky in the song.

Hmmmm I don't know how you'll fill up the second verse with all those words. Seems a little over syllable-lising, if ya know what I mean.

I was trying out the lyrics myself... wasn't sure how you were going to fit 'em. It'll probably be including some variation i think, but I'm sure you'll figure it out in any case (and that it'll be pleasant)

Here's another thought: I sort of had your song stuck in my head and i started replacing the lyrics with sounds like "Ba ba da, ba ba dee da" - similar to "Under Pressure"... just a thought.

The second verse doesn't fit exactly in with the timing of the first verse... it's fairly different... that way it changes it around a bit.

Acapella is a great idea... hope I can pull it off! I'm on holidays from work in a week, so I'll have plenty of time to work on it! Till then, I'll keep sussing it out!

Thanks guys n' gals... the feedback is awesome, thanks heaps! :D

Okies, update!!!

*link deleted... wrong version put up... will post tomorrow

Added the second verse. Now this is just a rough sketch of them... they need to be re-recorded when I have a bit more time, but they'll give you an idea of how the second verse will sound.

Have done bugger-all to the backing for the second half of the track, so it's absolutely no indication of what it the finished track will sound like from then on in... it's just really, rough... again, an indication more of the lyrics than anything else.

Enjoy!

Ok, so FINALLY here's the update...

http://www.box.net/shared/atmqzbfpmh

The second verse is in there now... still need to work on the harmonies for it... at the moment, I've only got one in there so far, and that still needs work. The lead vox for verse 2 are done though:D

Like I said, the instrumentation is nowhere near done for the second half, it's just placeholder at the moment... so that needs lots of work.

Spend a bit of time clearing up the mix; getting ready to add more instrumentation.

Still thinking the chorus could really use some guitar in there.

If anyone is interested in providing some, lemme know!!! :D

oh, and here's the updated lyrics for verse 2:

------

So it's been written through the ages of time.

From pens of ancient masters to prose of the modern mind.

A tale to be told.

And now we find them holding onto their faith.

...to not end up alone.

The Jury overthrown.

Their differences are few,

It's such a shame.

------