*NO* Valkyrie Profile 'A New Beginning'

Liontamer

Remixer name: Bak.R

e-mail: Bak.R@hotmail.com

Name of game arranged : Valkyrie Profile

Name of individual song arranged : Opening Theme

Informations : This is an orchestral arrangement of the opening theme of the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/ValkyrieProfile_psf.rar - (102) "Take a Flight"

The execution with these samples doesn't sound like the real thing, but it was serviceable enough. The arrangement could have been more dynamic for my personal tastes, but the interpretation was still fine. The fade at 3:34 definitely went too fast and made the finish too abrupt; I'd suggest fixing that.

The slow pacing and orchestral instrumentation made it a decidedly different animal than the source, and a concept like this would fit very well in an actual Valkyrie Profile score. Not the most engaging stand-alone piece, but it's got a very deliberate plan behind it.

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

The general approach is very interesting and well-suited to the source, but this didn't quite work for me. With a song this sparse, the execution of the samples is everything. These samples needed more nuance and detail to carry such long stretches. I found the pace was too slow for these samples to handle, and I wished there was more detail. To me, the two options are getting better samples and using more detailed articulations, or expanding on the writing. I'm not sure I could pass this unless one of those two things was changed. Sorry, man.

NO (resubmit)

This is pretty, but it's so underdeveloped. I agree that the samples are more important in a sparse tune like this, but I don't think the samples are the problem. I'd just really like to hear a little more direction. It doesn't hold up as a strictly atmospheric CotMM type tune, so I'm waiting for more.

NO

• 5 weeks later...

Really not enough development here. A lot of it is just these long, sustained string statements. I don't think it works because there's not enough going on anywhere else to make it interesting. And this goes on for 3 and a half minutes. The solo violin really starts to become exposed and sound mechanical around 3:10.

Something like this could really benefit from broader dynamics. Crescendos, decrescendos, really going on more of a journey with the music instead of just letting it sit there, flat.

NO, needs more

Very interesting stuff indeed. A minimalistic underscore approach to a theme that is neither. Let me just say that this would work phenomenally underneath a cut scene or movie clip. Ironically, as a far back piece, it's very compelling. When bringing up the volume and listening to it as more of a "frontal" track, it loses something.

I would suggest a bit more development. I understand, and even appreciate what Larry referred to as the "deliberate plan behind it", but I also feel like this was hard to listen to as a stand alone piece. It's great mood music, but not quite bearing enough substance to stand on it's own two legs just yet. Some crescendos and swells and more dynamic contrast would be prime. The instrumentation doesn't really need to change, just the performance.

I really like this piece. I hope to see a resub.

NO