*NO* Galaga 'Rumpy Pumpy Thumpy'

Liontamer

Remixer name: MFE

Email: mfettema777@hotmail.com

Name of game arranged: Galaga

Name of individual song: Rumpy Pumpy Thumpy Galaga Remix

Seemed odd to me that there wasn't at least one remix of the Galaga theme on the website, and I've always found it charming, so here is my attempt.

Enjoy.

MFE

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the source tunes as the intro of the arranged track "Galaga" from the classic 1984 album Video Game Music.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/13837 - Tracks 3 & 10

Source usage was just over half (:59.5-1:40, 2:06-2:20, 2:46-3:59), so I'm feeling it on that level. Also feeling the groove here, even if some of the sample quality and corresponding textures were a bit underwhelming. The opening sound at :06 was weak (including when it came back at 1:06), but I liked the other synths that gradually joined in as the intro continued.

Good boost to the texture by adding some padding at 1:26. The brass samples at 1:40 sounded fairly good the way they were couched in the soundscape.

It's not so much groove bias as appreciating how a lot was done with a little. The original melodies and countermelodies added here fit like a glove with the source, and the dynamics, while a bit straightforward were still reasonably effective. The synth design won't win any awards, and I wouldn't mind some of the samples being touched up to give them a more unique, full-bodied sound, but otherwise I'm cool with this. We'll see how the others feel, good luck!

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, wasn't digging this one as much as Larry. The writing lacks any kind of detail and it really hurts over the course of the song. A lot of things in this are just simple loops: the organ, the drums, the backing synths, which just get taken in and out. Compositionally, it feels basic. The intro was also a little weak until more got added like Larry mentioned, and the original parts at 2:46-3:00 didn't quite work for me melodically.

Production can make up for writing shortcomings sometimes, but I thought this wasn't quite there in that respect either. Things get crowded and indistinct in busier sections (yet still don't sound like they completely fill the soundscape), and the drums also sound pretty cheap.

It's a fun song for sure, but it feels like a rush job to me and I think you need to spend more time on this. EQ is definitely a good place to start to separate your parts better, and some variations in drums and the organ would add a lot.

NO

I'm glad to see some galaga love!

This is a tough one for me. On one hand the sounds are very basic (that organ especially) and the arrangement feels like you've put together a bunch of your own loops, adding one at a time. On the other hand the counter melodies and general feel of the track was pretty well done.

I think I'm going to go with Palpable on this one though. Mostly because of the cut-and-paste feel of the arrangement and the rather dull sound design. While I can appreciate the retro feel you could definitely have mixed these a bit better. It sounds quite cluttered during the final parts.

This shows potential and you handled two very simple source in a creative way but you need to develop your ideas and your craft a bit further. I'd love to see a resubmisison of this one because damnit, it makes me want to dance!

NO(resubmit)

• 1 month later...

OH HAI FLSTUDIO!

Clipping on the organ when it first comes in. The organ also overpowers everything else, and it's especially evident when the beat comes in.

Percussion is really simple and doesn't really have any kind of presence; it's sort of kind of there int he back. Could really use some beefing up.

Piano stuff near the end sounds kooky and cool, but comes way too late in the game to make any kind of lasting impact.

Needs rebalancing, better percussion, and a little more variation.

NO, but not bad

Eek, pretty noticeable distortion in the organ in the 1:00-1:06 range. The sounds in general are pretty weak, especially the percussion. Some better sounds and EQing to clear up the cluttered parts would go a long way.

Fairly simple arrangement, there could be more variation in both interpretation of the source and the original material. 2:46 was a good start, but the countermelody's just the same brass from before. Climax at 3:26 and the ending take on the name entry tune were nice.

You've got a decent start here. Neither the arrangement nor production are bad, but there's room for improvement in both: cleaner and better sounds and more interesting writing.

NO