*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 'Symphonic Tale'

Liontamer

Remixer name: T.O.P

Game: Zelda 3

Song: Zelda 3 Credits

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=loz3 - "Credits" (loz3-31.spc)

Don't have too much to say. I could see how this could be viewed of as conservative, but while retaining the basic structure of the source, I thought this did a solid job weaving new original part-writing with personalized embellishments of the source. The last hanging note was just...there, but otherwise, I thought this got the job done well.

YES

I, unlike Oji, have a lot to say. :)

First off the violin sounds quite unrealistic in my opinion. The attack and vibrato are awkward and notes often overlap which really hurts the realism. Also around 2:16, you realize there are two violins (I think) playing because you suddenly hear one or two notes panned right. If you have another violin there I suggest you make some more of it with counter melodies or call-and-response. If you just want to make the main violin stronger I suggest not letting it get exposed like that. However, the two violins were used to better effect at 03:11

It also sounds like this was multi-tracked by one person and a workstation because at times it sounds a bit sloppy (for example 00:17-00:20 and again at 00:26). The piano is generally handled well though, I like the use of triplets throughout the arrangement.

The arrangement in itself is rather close to the basic structure of the source like Larry pointed out but did show some clever new parts and passages (also like Larry said).

To be perfectly honest I don't thin this is over the bar. The violin sounds very fake and grating in that high register. The other strings that are barely audible at times could've been used much better and the arrangement could also have been knocked up another notch. I'm going to go with a resubmit here but I hope you do because it was in fact a beautiful piece. It just needs a bit more polish.

NO(resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a conservative take. I'm pretty familiar with the source song and I had to relisten to it to pinpoint the differences, most of which occur in the backing parts rather than the melody, and even then there are a few sections which are verbatim source. Mood and structure are pretty close to unchanged. I think it's probably on the border of interpretative enough, but I kept wishing there was some more drastic differences from the original.

The production has some problems and that sinks this, IMO. The violin doesn't work for me, as much the timing as the attack articulations that Mattias mentioned. It feels too loose compared to the piano, coming off as sloppy playing rather than humanized playing.

I came down hard on this, but with a little more variation and a stronger violin, this could be something great. The piano was well-done, writing and performance both, and I'd like to see the rest of the song match it.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Not a fan of the fakey violin. Could be sequenced a lot better; the sample lacks any kind of definition in the attack it ends up sounding messy. It also sounds thin in the higher registers.

The arrangement is nice, but your violin sample is really holding this back.

I also think you could scale back the reverb a little on everything.

NO, resub

I'm not really feeling this one so much. It's not terrible, but I feel like there's plenty of room for improvement. The violin is definitely an issue, as I mentioned in IRC, it sounds very keyboard-ish, and it's flaws are very out and in the open during several parts, like the intro and 1:41 to name a couple places.

The mixing is also a little weak. There's tons of reverb, and it muddies up the piano. Plus, between the piano and the violin, most of the rest of the instrumentation is drowned out pretty throughly. As for the arrangement itself, I felt like it was fairly conservative. Would have been nice to see a BIT more deviation than I did.

At any rate, clean up the mud, fix the violin, adjust the levels, bring out the other instruments a little more, and last and least, tweak the arrangement itself.

NO