Remixer Name: Willrock07

Email address: will.rock@hotmail.co.uk

Userid number: 24181

Game Arranged: Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins

Songs Arranged: Star Maze Theme

Name Of Submission: Shooting Stars

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBkvcpeT04

Own Comments:

I noticed while surfing the mario remixes on the site that there where no remixes from the game super mario land 2. I thought this was insane, as I think the music in that game was awesome. I decided I would do a remix of the star maze theme as it was my fav track from the game.

I think it should be mentioned that Mcvaffe was a big influence on the creation of this remix, as you will hear. I guess his music is rubbing off on me :P

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/8143 - Track 29

The texture was loud, but kind of empty to start. The groove at :11 was a bit overbearing and quickly got repetitive. Why was the synth lead at :33 so quiet? Don't get me wrong, I'm down with the tone being understated, but it was still too quiet compared to the other sounds. Then you had some odd writing choices from :49-1:03 that weren't awful but also weren't particularly melodious.

1:16 was rather weird. The tropical-type instrumentation felt like too sudden a departure from the first minute, but we'll see how others felt. I thought it could have worked better if introduced more gradually. And that groove and countermelody were still chugging away; it got old quickly. Definitely a Super Mario Land 2 meets Super Mario RPG vibe though, which was interesting.

Honestly (without overhauling this, mind you), if you could vary up the groove and countermelodic writing, and it clicks, this would be a lot more likely to get my vote. Right now the core was on cruise control with basically 2 patterns. It dragged substantially and undermined the dynamics. Good potential here, Will.

NO (resubmit)

Interesting take on this. The drums definitely needs to be handled better. The kick has no low-end to talk about and there's a LOT of reverb on that loop which muddies stuff up like there's no tomorrow. In general the balance in this seems quite off, the quiet synthlead for example. I also thought some textures (synth lead, synth arpeggio) were on the thin, flat and dull side.

I liked the transition into the tropical-style part. Thought it was fitting and an interesting take on the source. The flute was definitely too quiet here though. Some alteration of the percussion loops would keep them from getting repetitive too. I don't know what program your working in but in Reason you can just sequence the slices in a .rex file and in any program with audio you can cut and paste parts of loops.

Arrangement lacked variation and direction. The only notable thing is the transition to the tropical-style part but that also got old quickly because you didn't change much when it comes to patterns and groove.

I think this needs more work to pass. Variation is the key in the arrangement and my issues in the production still stands. Nice to see you tackling a non-remixed game though, you just gotta tackle it a little harder ;)

NO

Drums are indeed a little thin as Anso said. One thing I've noticed, Will, is that you're prone to using tons of reverb in your mix, so they sometimes come out a little bit over-saturated if you catch my meaning.

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't mind hearing more punch on the kick. Wasn't a big fan of the lead instrument at :33, it's not so much the volume, but the timbre coupled with the rigid/choppy sequencing. I will say, that like you're other stuff, you've definitely managed to interpret the melody without staying too close or straying too far from the original riff; you definitely have a knack for that. The glissandos at :40 were really nice, though.

Haha, interesting choice with the tropical vibe.

Hmm, then the fadeout.

Well, this is a kind of tough call. It's almost almost there. I feel like you could stand to address the drums a bit, and I think there's still room for a bit more interpretation before you just turn on the cruise-control and let the track fade out. Granted, the source is short, but after hearing your other mixes, I'm sure you'll be able to add some more flare to it. I might recommend toning down the reverb just a smidge, as well as lowering the high-end slightly on your hats.

Otherwise, this is a really pleasant take on a very warm&fuzzy theme. Sooo close, resubmit this or I'll see you banned forever! :tomatoface:

NO