*NO* Final Fantasy 4 'The Still Land'

Liontamer

ALBUM PROJECT: Final Fantasy 4 'Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption'

So avaris and OA asked me to join in on their little project. Usually don't like to do those what with the deadlines, but I couldn't turn FF4 down. This is a remix of "The Lunarians" by Nabuo Uematsu. Wanted to still capture the baron moonscape feel of the original game. Had to rewire cubase, reason, and fl studio to get all the sounds I wanted. This mix is all about ambience and vibe, not necessarily melody and genre. The mood evolves to what I hope you'll find dramatic and filmic, just to bring the point home. What else could I do with a midi made up of basically 6 notes?

James George

jamesbgeorge@gmail.com

www.ronyn-studio.com

download:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, not many places to go with this source, so we'll see how you handled it.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff4 - "The Lunarians" (ff4-41.spc)

Some of the note choices of the vox sounded odd, but it seemed like you were going for a moody setting. Good changeup at 1:59 into some original writing.

The programmed robo-voice at 2:54 was way too cheesy. If you're gonna keep it, it has to be post-produced to sound cooler in the context of the piece. Perhaps record yourself and apply some appropriate effects instead. Many of the articulations/"bow movements" of the strings (e.g. 1:13, and 3:00-on) sounded extremely unrealistic. The ending also cut out abruptly at 4:10.

I only heard the source tune overtly used from :13-1:59, which was less than half of the track. You need to use it more throughout the track and not practically drop it at 1:59. There are other directions you can take the original theme in as well.

Use the theme more extensively, taking it in some additional creative/interpretive directions, and improve the string articulations to give this a better shot. Good base so far, James.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...
Nabuo Uematsu

lol. :3

Minimalist source for sure, pretty but minimalist. I liked your sound choices right off the bat even though the pad had some overtones that just didn't sit right harmonically in the beginning and that pad is present a LONG time. Check that out. Dropping the source at 1:59 was a bad move that made this a bit too liberal for a bit too long.

String articulations was so-so. Robo-voice wasn't half bad, I enjoyed it for what it was. The overall production is quite good though, everything could be a little more dynamic for the sake of variation though.

I'm with Larry here. You need to focus on the source and how you use it to make this a passable arrangement. String articulations could definitely be better but my main issue was the arrangement.

NO(resubmit)

Nice setting of mood, reminiscent of the original while adding a lot of detail. I like a lot of the sound choices here. But dropping the source at 1:59 was too long a time. (Mattias, would you mind pointing out to me what you heard there? I'm not hearing anything, and I'd like to just double-check I'm not missing something before we close this one.) The 1:08-1:33 section was a little too sparse as well, given the lengthy intro leading up to it. I wouldn't have minded seeing the harmonies you bring in at 1:33 brought in there.

Robo-voice was fine. I did think the 3:08-end section was hurt by the string quality and articulations of the sample. The long lead strings feel too flat to really carry that section, whereas earlier in the song, when it was more subdued, I didn't have a problem. At 3:25 when the sharp marcato strings are brought out, it really hurts cause it just sounds too fake.

What can you do to fix this one, if you want to resubmit? I'd say think about rewriting the last section. Including some prominent cameos of the six-note riff would help solidify the connection to the original. If you can get better strings, try them out; otherwise, make the articulations as realistic as you can. Despite my criticisms, this one has a lot of good stuff in place, so I'd say try for the resubmit.

NO (resubmit)