*NO* Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 'Cross-Examination (Sudden Interjection)'

Liontamer

Hello again Judges, another sub here from your pal and buddy PrototypeRaptor aka Jonathan Paulsen.

I was browsing through random games the other day and I came across an old favorite: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

I was baffled at the lack of remixes of what is an extraordinary (well, to me) sound track. So, I decided to do one of the Objection! theme.

I've been listening to a lot of massive attack (House's intro theme, for those that don't know) and other various down tempo artists and it is definitely reflected in this remix.

Think of it as an (overly) dramatic courtroom scene: phoenix slowly standing up in his chair, eyes closed, as all heads in the room turn to him and then, movie style, his eyes fly open and he slams his hands down: OBJECTION!

Perhaps the defense flies back from their chairs slow-mo from the impact of his hands, I dunno. Director's choice. :)

*ahem* anyway, sorry for rambling... here's the link.

Thanks for your time, PrototypeRaptor

source: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/ds/PWAA_Objection_v2.mid

remix:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoyed Magical Trick Society's take on this one.

Gyakuten Saiban Yomigaeru Gyakuten Original Soundtrack - (06) "Ryuichi Naruhodo ~ Objection! 2001"

Opened up with some spooky textures. Not feeling the style of the arrangement at :22; the pacing was plodding, potentially due to the beats being so basic.

As soon as things picked up at 1:10, the rigidity of the piano sequencing hurt this when it was more exposed. But the main culprit was the soundfield being cluttered. It was already an issue at 1:10, but the addition of more parts at 1:33 exacerbated it. The bowed strings from 1:33-2:18 also sounded unrealistic; the attacks seemed too late compared to the beats. Same issues from 3:23-4:08.

The arrangement was definitely creative. The core beats weren't necessarily the dealbreaker, but during the verses they were plodding and sapped energy out of the piece. There was no cohesiveness between the beats and the other sounds, IMO. I'd love another point of view on what was lacking there, but I felt it was a substantial issue. Beyond that, refining the sequencing and better separating the parts needs to be done, and would help the execution a great deal regardless.

NO

As Larry said the beats are quite basic, but I didn't see that as a big issue. I didn't think filtering them helps the already muddy soundscape though. The different parts need to be separated better in terms of frequencies and even panning. Go in there and adjust the levels to perfection! Also check out the instruments, the piano and drums especially, they sound like they're missing some high-frequencies and thus muddies up the soundscape a lot.

The arrangement is quite creative. I like the general mood of this. The piano sounds a bit bland at times and the playing doesn't sound as tight as it could be. A bit of variation in the drumline could probably help too. I didn't have a big problem with the strings but it does sound like they're slightly off and that it could be fix'd.

The big issue for me is the mixing. Clean stuff up and separate the instruments better. You should also take a look at the piano and drum sequencing while your at it. Check it out and resubmit and this has a much higher chance of getting accepted.

NO(resubmit)

Mezzanine is probably one of my top-ten favorite albums of all time, so you've got a lot to live up to here, bub. :-x

I think your concept is damn cool, and I really like the stark approach you've given this song. I don't think I had any problems with the writing. There's a lot of good parts going on, the real issue is being able to fit them in. The mixing has got to be clearer in the busier sections. (The intro and the 2:18 section sound fine as they are.) Means hitting up that EQ and carving out parts that aren't necessary. I also think the higher piano notes that come it later sound mechanical, and the strings need a sharper attack. That's pretty much all I got, but these are big enough problems that I'm gonna say NO.

You're rapidly becoming a great remixer, Jonathan, and I was very happy to see you resubmit "Barrel Roll". Please do me a huge favor and fix this one up too. :smile:

NO (resubmit)