VIDEO TUTORIALS! What do you want to see? (New videos posted)

So, after an incredible amount of work, I've finally managed to get a working, no-latency screen capture setup. This means I can do video tutorials! I've always wanted to do this as I think it's often easier to explain things and immediately play an audio example rather than type out all my thoughts and simply have links. However, now I don't know exactly what I want to do!

For example, what topic(s) should I cover? Synthesis? Cool effects tricks? Phat beats? Also, how long should the videos be - bite size, 4-5 minutes, or extended, 10-15?

Since these will primarily be made for the benefit of the OCR community, I want to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

--

Vid 1 - Walkthrough of "Monstrous Turtles!"

http://zirconstudios.com/video/zircon%20-%20Monstrous%20Turtles%20Walkthrough.avi

Vid 2 - A glance at a work-in-progress DNB original, w/ some production tips

NOTE: ADD &fmt=18 TO THE YOUTUBE URL IN ORDER TO PLAY IN HIGH-QUALITY!

http://www.zirconstudios.com/video/zircon%20-%20DNB%20Track%20WIP.avi (HQ download)

Vid 3 - Phat Beats 101

http://www.vimeo.com/2864302 - AVI download link available on this page, better quality than the embed

I like the idea of individual techniques/topics being highlighted in videos, BUT...

I'd also like to see a series of videos on the mix creation process, charting the development of a ReMix through to completion, then having that mix posted on the site. Something that explored different arrangement approaches, starting with a MIDI, going by ear, etc., showed how a couple different genre approaches to the same theme, then picked one and carried it through to the end. That's something that, while obviously more involved, will tell more of a story, and put everything in context.

the 56k in me says no longer than 5 minutes, but multiple installments if necessary to cover a single topic

i'd like to see production stuff. mixing/mastering, preparing tracks for media, etc

also phat beats

Start with the super basics! I wanna know/hear the differences between saw, square, and all that.

that one dude covered that already methinks. too bad i forgot his name and where his tutorial video was but he covered reason's subtractor synth and explained the basics of synthesis pretty well if i recall. link, anyone?

EDIT: HEY WAIT I FOUND IT

Cool effects tricks?

I guess it would fall under this category but...

[and I'm a complete nooby at synthesizing so excuse the poor jargon.]

after you have a cool basic piece made (drums, melody) how to master it to sound like a part of the song is going from a low cutoff to a high cutoff (I don't know how to say this, but if you've ever used flash how to 'tween' from a low cutoff to a high cutoff over the course of a verse or something.

The main thing I'd like to see, and I realize that this won't apply to everybody, but it'll still apply to a lot of people, is how you set up your workflow. Last I checked you were an FL Studio user, and I'd like to see how you use this program to get your ideas down. There's enough tutorials if you google around on topics like synthesis, sampling, mixing, mastering, and standard stuff like that. I don't think I've ever seen a workflow tutorial.

I guess this request is similar to djp's, because if you walkthrough the creation of a ReMix, we'll all get a good look at how you structure your projects.

Hmm.. it would be difficult to document the entire creation of a remix, since my creativity is such that I typically work for weeks or months on any given track. I usually write a bunch, then hit a wall, wait awhile and eventually find a way around. Really, it's not very interesting to watch. I could however break down EXISTING tracks and explain my thought process after the fact. How does that sound?

Hmm.. it would be difficult to document the entire creation of a remix, since my creativity is such that I typically work for weeks or months on any given track. I usually write a bunch, then hit a wall, wait awhile and eventually find a way around. Really, it's not very interesting to watch. I could however break down EXISTING tracks and explain my thought process after the fact. How does that sound?

That's a really great idea, it'd be ubereducational.

Andy, this is a truly excellent idea.

I'd also like to see a series of videos on the mix creation process, charting the development of a ReMix through to completion, then having that mix posted on the site. Something that explored different arrangement approaches, starting with a MIDI, going by ear, etc., showed how a couple different genre approaches to the same theme, then picked one and carried it through to the end. That's something that, while obviously more involved, will tell more of a story, and put everything in context.

This is actually something I've mentioned before.

I could however break down EXISTING tracks and explain my thought process after the fact. How does that sound?

How about a combination? Can you break down tracks you submitted?

To be more specific, I would also like to see tutorials on the issues most frequently cited in judges decisions:

How to shape sound quality (the specific parameters of sounds and how to adjust them)

How to layer music (judging whether there's too much or too little going on at a particular point in time)

How to "humanize" notes (and not make them mechanical sounding)

Effective mixing/balancing (where should each voice live in the mix?)

How to keep things interesting (i.e. not using the same drum loops over and over)

Some of these are a bit more subjective than others... but I think these would serve to not only demonstrate techniques, but give a clear indication of what OCR is looking for (modeled out of something it's not).

Oh yeah, what screen capture program are you using?

I like djp's idea. It's not easy for beginners to grasp concepts that you are executing in one DAW (i.e. Fruity Loops) and then apply them to their own (i.e. Reason)

So keeping the videos as specific to OCR as possible would be most helpful, imo. Besides, there are plenty of videos on YouTube/etc that already cover general topics like beats/synths and often you can find them specific to the software you want.

cheers.

I could however break down EXISTING tracks and explain my thought process after the fact. How does that sound?

I like this idea. it's one of those things that newbs could have a lot of use of and non-newbs would find interesting (and probably learn something useful from). But I gotta say djp's idea could be just as useful, it'd just take more work than a post-posted analysis of the track.

The one thing I've found on the wip boards is a general lack of interpretation, and I suspect it's because of the abundance of midi ripping and the fear of transcribing (perhaps in fear of getting notes wrong, or just insecurity about their own musical abilities). I think the most useful tutorial would be one that describes how to take a track and make it your own.

how is remmix formed

how judge say yes

The basic waveform stuff has been covered here, too:

http://www.vimeo.com/1309545

I'd rather like a video that starts by tearing into misconceptions, explaining that it's not remixing but making music, and that remixing has to do with the approach, but not with the job itself. That MIDI is not audio. That you can't "upload" sounds to synthesizers the way you think you can (e.g. completely on different types of synths). That you choose a synthesizer for a certain task, but not for a genre. Using a controller with knobs to control a synth on-screen. The minimum ingredients of a setup (sequencer / recording apparatus / monitoring / control / sound generation). That the choices for these are determined by budget and needs. How to easily publish music - how to turn a .wav file into an mp3 and where to upload it.

That's already enough material to cover for 2, 3 videos - easily.

If you're going to use any application, make sure it's got buttons that you can spot the position of a mile away. Zoom in judiciously, animate button actions.

recording apparatus? but I never use such a thing~

anyways, either do DJPs idea (which is more involved), or do short byte-sized clips. Not only will those be short and sweet and let you focus in on specific aspects, it would probably be less work for YOU and thus be easier and quicker to do.

also, whatever you end up doing, thank you thank you thank you~

Excellent. I would appreciate a walkthrough of sorts on how one of your mixes was formed - it gives you a perspective over the creation process vs the final result - and I'm sure other newbs would find it useful as well. I would also like general tutorials on using effects and whatnot - what instruments benefit from what, and how to achieve certain sounds, et cetera.

I'd rather like a video that starts by tearing into misconceptions

This is a must, I think. Very good idea.

I like this idea too. It could be expanded to include all interested remixers. They could make their own videos explaining a posted ocremix and contribute them.

cheers.

I would like some tips on pre production like composing the song. All I do know is use existing songs as templates then write my own chorus, verse, etc and "paste" them in. Nothing I have ever created has been original sounding. Maybe a drum tutorial would be good. I would like to know how to keep the drums from getting boring.

how to do a complete mixdown and master

ooooh, this is my request as well. Also, I'd specifically like to see the process involved in getting a final mix to sound loud. I have this problem where all my mixes sound quieter than I want them to sound. I can't seem to grasp how to fix that. Perhaps a visual presentation would help me out.