MegaRace 'NewSan (Virtuality Not Reality Mix)'

SynaMax

Hey guys,

Here's a remix I did of one of my favorite songs from a french videogame called, "MegaRace", by the same company who did "Dune" for the PC.

Here's my remix:

http://www.reverbnation.com/controller/audio_player/download_song/955500

and here's the original song for comparison:

http://gallium.prg.dtu.dk/~lbn/MegaRace/MegaRace_-_01_New_San.ogg

I'm hoping to upload this to the judges soon. Hope you guys enjoy it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hm... The source has a lot of really cool elements to it, good choice. Your remix follows its progression kind'a closely (at least from what I remember from one listen). You need to work on transitioning more between the parts, as well as making it more cohesive. it's a medley, a trip through the different bits and peices of the source, but it should sound like a single track, even if styles, melodies, themes... even if everything changes.

The medley-itis is really what hurts this track the most, repetition within the individual segments would be the second culprit. The track has some potential, but the arrangement needs to be overhauled imo.

Sound-wise it sounds decent. It's loud enough, and the synths all sound fairly well. There's some tweaks you could do, tho, such as opening the cutoff filter on the 3:46 lead, stuff like that. Drums could ahve a little more punch, but they work as they are. The distorted ones get a bit repetitive during their iterations, so see if you could use them more sparingly.

Overall, this sounds more like a sound upgrade than a remix in the OCR sense of the word. It shows promise in the sound design/choices, but it'll take some seriosu rearrangement to get it on OCR. Fortunately, you have a lot of source to pick and choose from. Work on transitions and on finding elements that you can keep through the different segments, and you'll have done half the job of rewriting the arrangement to be a more cohesive thing. Good luck with it.

You've made at least a couple of us happy with your work on a MegaRace track (see me begging for a MegaRace mix in my request thread: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=436948#post436948).

I like where you've taken a lot of it.

I don't think the initial high-pitched instrument that comes in at about 0:30 is even as interesting as the one from the original. I think it harmonizes with itself a little too much and I don't think it compliments the tune as well.

Some of your samples have some quality issues. Like the heavy drum thing at 1:00 and about 5:05, you can hear the sample dropping off and it just sounds a little low-budget.

Nice cowbell at 2:28. Followed by excellent rhythm riff at 2:40. I really love that segment. It feels well rounded and driving.

When you transition at 3:45, again the high pitched instrument that carries the rhythm doesn't sound that great, and a the croaking frog sound in the background is just a little weird contrast to the rest of the mix.

Also, while you follow (awesomely) how the original switches it up frequently and to great degrees, your mix tends to meander on certain elements without really expanding on them too much. I like the length, but I think to justify it you may need to work more progression into each little "episode" of this track's huge variation.

Please believe me when I say how totally thrilled I am about the fact that a skilled mixer has even started a Megarace mix. Please do not stop. Do. Not. Stop.

<3 <3 <3