RECRUITMENT: Male singers!

OceansAndrew

I'd be very interested, though all I have is Audacity and a Shure SM57 plugged in through my laptop's mic jack. I have a little bit of choir experience. I can do either tenor or baritone.

How are you going to get everyone timbre to match over the internet? Singing in a choir is different than singing solo, as I'm sure you already know.

thanks for the interest everyone; yes it is for the FF4 project.

Sound quality doesn't have to be beautifully pristine, as it is going to be a large number of singers. I can effectively clean individual tracks in a way that wouldn't be possible for solo parts.

I'll be sending out lyrics and guide tracks later tonight, so be sure to keep an eye on your PM boxes.

I'd be very interested, though all I have is Audacity and a Shure SM57 plugged in through my laptop's mic jack. I have a little bit of choir experience. I can do either tenor or baritone.

How are you going to get everyone timbre to match over the internet? Singing in a choir is different than singing solo, as I'm sure you already know.

well, it's more a question of vowels...rounding out the vowels will help create a more uniform blend. the other thing would be to have less vibrato and more straight tone. certain consonants will also have to be indicated when they're cut off and etc...i could probably create something to help with this depending on what's needed in terms of "lyrics". OA, hit me up, i do have experience in choral writing and can help weed out any problems that may arise.

well, it's more a question of vowels...rounding out the vowels will help create a more uniform blend. the other thing would be to have less vibrato and more straight tone. certain consonants will also have to be indicated when they're cut off and etc...i could probably create something to help with this depending on what's needed in terms of "lyrics". OA, hit me up, i do have experience in choral writing and can help weed out any problems that may arise.

listen to this man

he knows what he is talking about

Oh great, I hadn't really thought of this. I've got absolutely no experience recording vocals when the singers aren't all together (actually, I've got no experience recording anyone but myself, but anyway). Should we stress consonants the "normal" way to do it in a choral setting, or what?

For those of you who don't know, it's typical to "overact" a little on consonants because of the timbre of a choir's sound and the tendency of things to get muddled really easily by other voices and by the local reverb. We're not going to be singing in a hall and we're probably going to be equalized anyway, but what exactly does that change in terms of stress?

And I guess we won't know until we see the music (which, if I'm guessing the track right, is a bunch of ahs anyway), but Latin vowels?

EDIT: First questions directed at Hemo; last one directed at OA.

i just listened to the track, it sounds like latin to me...which means vowels are to be very round. because consonants create plosives, sibilants and other recording problems we probably will not be over-emphasizing the consonants. however; we will still need to be precise as to where the vowels cut off and end. same goes for breath marks.