Which programs auto-beatmatch for you? i know that mixmeister does

Does Ableton Lite Edition do this as well? what about logic express 8? do any of these mix the beat AND key so when transitioning between songs they sound good? Please let me know thanks...

PS what in your opinion is the best software for remixing?

i currently use audacity, garageband, and mixxx

yeah i know a little low end, i'm thinkin of buyin some newer/better programs so i can make better remixes...

thanks

Does Ableton Lite Edition do this as well?

There's beatmatching and there's beatmatching.

Beatmatching as a DJ (like Mixmeister) means that it'll automagically speed up (or slow down) track B to the tempo of track A.

Beatmatching as in Ableton means that you need to tell the program where the beats actually are (it can do a reasonable guess of its own, but don't expect miracles or dealing properly with acapellas; like everything, beats are detected on the basis of repeating peaks). You can do this with so-called Warp Markers, and Logic and Cubase have something like it.

PS what in your opinion is the best software for remixing?

You're the first one I shall hit with the cluestick:

THERE IS NO SOFTWARE FOR REMIXING. THERE IS ONLY SOFTWARE YOU USE TO MAKE MUSIC.

additionally, not aimed towards you but I've seen it enough times here, too:

"REMIX" IS NOT A GENRE; IF IT WAS, EVERYTHING HERE WOULD SOUND THE SAME.

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

i currently use audacity, garageband, and mixxx

Logic Express would give you quite a bit more power than Ableton Lite, but if you mainly want to glue tracks together, Ableton's probably faster in terms of workflow.

Also, Ableton (full) has a demo version; take the time to test-drive it and see how it handles your mp3 collection (it can scan and attempt to beatmatch, which in Ableton's case means that if you set the tempo to 130 bpm and you have a 135 bpm song, it'll try to match it to the 130 bpm you've set it to).

Don't listen to Yoozer, he's just bitter because he can't afford the auto-remixing program the rest of us use. It's called CTB PE (Cinnamon Toast Beats Producer Edition). There's no current way to crack it, so the only way to get it is to pay the $2000 pricetag for it. It lets you import WAVs and MP3s and, converts them to MIDI (still a bit glitchy) and then you arranges the song based on the automatic genre detection algorithm. So I just import a WAV or midi from www.vgmusic.com and pick the "ROCK/HEAVY METAL" preset. Works great.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course it works, it just doesn't do all the heavy work for you. A computer can beatmatch if there's an actual beat, and an acapella doesn't have to start at the same moment the beat does.

Just look for a few audio warp tutorials, you'll get the hang of it. What may help you is if you find the tempo of the acapella and slow down the main tempo of Ableton before importing it. Then you won't have both troubles of placing/warping things correctly -and- messing with the tempo. When everything is in its right place, turn the speed up (or down) again.