Korg DS-10: Nintendo DS Synthesizer

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this, since it combines both things that this website is all about: videogames and music.

http://www.aqi.co.jp/product/ds10/en/index.html

Korg recently announced the DS-10, which is a multitrack synthesizer and sequencer for the Nintendo DS, taking full advantage of the touch screen to allow for intuitive sound manipulation and sequencing. Description from the website:

- World's first music tool software created for the Nintendo DS

- Two patchable dual-oscillator analog synth simulators:

- Four-part drum machine that uses sounds created with the analog synth simulator

- Six-track (analog synth x 2, drum machine x 4) /16-step sequencer

- Delay, chorus, and flanger sound effects available from the mixing board

- Three note-entry modes: touch-control screen, keyboard screen, matrix screen

- Real-time sound control mode via touch-control screen

- Exchange sounds and songs and play multiple units simultaneously through a wireless communications link

From the videos I've watched, it's as functional as a hardware synthesizer, sounds pretty damn good, and looks to be a lot of fun, especially for extreme portability in laying down quick track ideas. It even has a fuckin' patch cable mod matrix. How cool is that? And for the low low price (even for an import) of about $65, you can't go wrong.

Look to YouTube for videos of it in action.

Beatdrop, will it be able to interface with a computer so that ideas we have while we're out can be transferred to our other programs (not to mention uploading projects to the net for other people to laugh at)?

Still, this looks amazing, and I'm probably going to get it when it comes to the States (I'm told that it's been announced).

I had the chance to play with this for a while at the Messe. Absolutely mad fun, and worth buying a DS for. While it's not a substitute for hardware, it is probably the best ultra-portable solution. It makes all those Palm and Pocket PC software packages look rather clumsy.

Doesn't sound like it's sample-ready. It's entirely synth based, right down to the drums.

As for interfacing with a computer, that seems unlikely unless Nintendo develops some method for a Wii to interface with a computer, which they likely won't due to its lack of storage media. But who knows, maybe they'll make writeable GBA cards. Probably not, though.

EDIT: Oh, and from what I understand, they're working on releasing it in America and Europe, as well, but they're still in the process of acquiring the proper rights (copyrights, patents probably, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...