*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Lavos is Inconsistent'

Liontamer

Name: DrumUltimA

Email: drumultima@comcast.net

ForumID: 3877

Name of Game: CHRONO TRIGGER!

Name of songs: World Revolution, with little bits of Last Battle, The Chrono Trigger, Fanfare 1, Robo's Theme, Ayla's Theme, Chrono and Marle, Kaeru (frog)'s Theme, and Battle with Magus

So here it is: "Lavos is Inconsistent" Lavos is inconsistent when it comes to being good--because he's bad!

This mix is supposed to illustrate a battle between Lavos and Chrono and his friends. They start off fighting as you normally would, and then Lavos tricks everyone into becoming friends. Then he eats them!

I guess with this remix I concentrated a lot with sounds--what I could make, what I could do with pre-existing sounds, etc. Oh yeah, and as always, if this gets rejected, please leave the URL posted.

http://drumultima.googlepages.com/lavosisinconsistent.mp3

Enjoy!

-Doug

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "World Revolution" (ct-313.spc), A bunch of 'em

The production felt a bit rough. Would love to hear better separation of the parts for some increased clarity. I think it would benefit the complexity of the textures.

Wow, the sequencing and tone on the guitar synth at 1:09 (and again at 2:01) was awful. The cymbal shots starting at 1:25 sounded gratuitous for some reason. Not sure what the point was of the building dissonance via the bubbly synth from 1:37-1:50 or using it again from 5:34-5:48 to close the track up.

2:23-2:44 felt aimless to some extent; not in a good way. Cooler stuff at 2:51, especially the harmonization and countermelody brought in around 3:03. The drums brought in at 3:18 were OK, but I would have pulled back the cymbals myself. Everything still has a cluttered, lo-fi feel to it.

Went off the rails a bit at 3:48 when the two different sections of "World Revolution" worked in tandem, and everything was cluttered and clashing until 4:15. Pretty unwieldy, and there were plenty of moments like it that dragged this down and undermined the flow.

Good recovery at 4:15 with a piano take of "World Revolution" followed by the synth version. More dual theme stuff at 4:46 that felt like it merely got in the way. Wasn't really feeling the changes in the percussion from 5:12-5:28, seeming busy for no particular reason.

Overall, I'm liking the concept, but the execution falls flat. On the production side, the sound balance needs some work done. On the arrangement side, despite the good interpretation ideas, I'm not sure why all these jarring moments were there, but they added up. Whether it was dissonance or the drumwork being too loud and busy and preventing the textures from gelling, there were a lot of things making the structure feel sloppy and unfocused. And no, I don't think the name of the track justified it. :-P

The other votes will be interesting. I think you should go back and fine tune this one, Doug. The potential is clearly there.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

This was a pretty cool arrangement that kept changing its angle. The jazzy sections complimented the straighter-played ones - I especially liked the transition at 4:16, how it goes from chaos to order. Wasn't feeling it was as unwieldly as Larry said, and in general, I liked the way you used dissonance in this and I thought the messiness of the drums worked in your favor.

Production is rough though. I thought this mix was really missing low-end and the drums and synth bass should have had more bass emphasis. As it is, your mix doesn't have enough energy. The drums sounded more lo-fi than the other instruments and I felt they clashed a bit. Clarity was also an issue at times, like the woodwinds coming in at 0:14 or the piano that came in later. I'd hit that EQ up some more to make room for these parts.

Give it another shot, Doug. This is most of the way there.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely with Palpable on this one. I really liked the arrangement (apart from that bit at 2.46!), overall it was stellar. However some work does need to be done on the mixing side. The drum sounds are of a much lower quality than the other instruments and sound quite thin. Your ride and crash cymbals are also a tad too loud. Paerhaps some careful panning can make the instruments work together but not mush so much.

Arrangement is there, just needs some more mixing. I'd love to see this posted.

NO (Good candidate for resubmission)