So...who will be joining me at Distant Worlds this Saturday?

Armoured Priest

Yo, so we'll be at the concert 30 to 60 minutes early. I'll be wearing a long sleeve, black shirt with grey dress pants and white sneakers. Jill will be in a black dress. My cell is 215-531-0798; probably won't have time to do anything much before the concert but it should be fun to meet y'all!

Woah, I read that as "Jill will be wearing my black dress":dstrbd:

Anyway, have fun and take lots of pics!

So...I wish I went. After having dinner with Andy, Jill, Piano Squall, and some of the SquareSound guys, I went on the train on the way back to Union Station...only to find out that the train left a few minutes early and fucked me over. Greyhound was no different claiming that they sold out of bus tickets for the last bus, so I took a $300 cab ride back to Champaign. Amtrak can go fuck itself for that fuckover. :twisted:

F'in awesome!!! The concert was outstanding. 99% of the performances were all absolutely world-class caliber, with maybe a couple musicians at MOST performing below everyone else, but even then, no one was even close to "bad". It was all excellent. I can't recommend the show enough... I had a huge grin on my face the entire time and many of the arrangements sent chills up my spine - especially the Final Fantasy VII opening :)

Jill and I did get a photo op with Uematsu and Arnie Roth (the conductor). Two, actually, with the second being in a bigger group. Earlier in the day I gave the man himself a copy of VotL, thanks to Michael Gluck (Piano Squall) who was able to communicate what it actually was. We then prepared a very formal, polite letter explaining what it was and who we were, which we presented to him during the meet-and-greet after the show. We also gave him a CD of arrangements we had personally done or participated in.

Here's hoping he listens and writes back to us!

F'in awesome!!! The concert was outstanding. 99% of the performances were all absolutely world-class caliber, with maybe a couple musicians at MOST performing below everyone else, but even then, no one was even close to "bad". It was all excellent. I can't recommend the show enough... I had a huge grin on my face the entire time and many of the arrangements sent chills up my spine - especially the Final Fantasy VII opening :)

Jill and I did get a photo op with Uematsu and Arnie Roth (the conductor). Two, actually, with the second being in a bigger group. Earlier in the day I gave the man himself a copy of VotL, thanks to Michael Gluck (Piano Squall) who was able to communicate what it actually was. We then prepared a very formal, polite letter explaining what it was and who we were, which we presented to him during the meet-and-greet after the show. We also gave him a CD of arrangements we had personally done or participated in.

Hell yes. Handing the man himself VotL + other arrangements must've been one of the coolest moments ever! Was he pleased to know what these CDs were or kind of shocked by it? Glad Piano Squall was there to communicate. Indeed, here's hoping he writes to you guys somehow.

Pictures, please! :)

The concert was so awesome. I wish I'd been able to get VIP tickets. By the time I bought them they were sold out. Still, it was worth every penny for the trip to Chicago and all. I had fantastic seats, too. And I loved the cosplayers!

For some reason, Uematsu looks much different than I expected.

As for that cab ride, the cab driver gave me a big discount too - normally he's supposed to charge ~$410 for that trip (not counting tip), so I was thankful that I was able to get back to my apartment that night, even beating the train, although I still do wish I didn't get screwed by Amtrak.

• 1 year later...

Soooo, a year and a half later the Roth/Uematsu FF machine rolled back into the Rosemont Theater in Chicago, and rocked the place stupid. Tracks stuck pretty consistently to the typical favorites, replete with a double helping of 1WA to close out the show with Uematsu on the hammond organ and the Chicago Mages providing the Black Mages-esque guitar/bass/drum support. With two shredding solos on top of a 7 minute playtime, I gotta hand it to Uematsu and the band for their energy.

Something worth noting I suppose was the inclusion of two FF14 songs. The intro started softly, but the second half busted into what sounded vaguely like Faris' theme from FFV meets World of Warcraft.

Anyone else make it to this second show?

My friend Fenix went to this, and hopefully he was able to present Nobuo Uematsu with a physical copy of Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption along with a short note (in Japanese, thank you Chipp!) explaining what it is and how awesome Uematsu-san is. I haven't gotten to talk to him yet, so I'm excited to hear if it was successful or not.

This was my experience with the Canadian premiere in Vancouver this October, minus Mr. Uematsu and me giving him any of my music :< I took a $400 roundtrip flight and it was worth it for sure, amazing show! I definitely had a grin on my face the whole time too, got a little excited for some songs, hehe.