Freshly Baked ReMixer Challenge 2008 (Phase 3: Match-Ups, Mixing, March 16th Deadline

Ramaniscence

The History:

Way back in 2002 a forum user name "I Like Cookies!" (now just Jeff), ran a 1-shot competition called the Freshly Baked ReMixer challenge. In the thread artists signed up and were assigned challenges posted by other forum users. This is how artists like myself, Suzumebachi, and GLL all got out starts. There were also some other impressive tracks by Disco Dan and a few others.

Some time later the same user did the Second Annual FBRC which, while not as popular as the first one, still saw some solid success.

Since the competition has long been forgotten by most, and seeing all the talent that's on OCReMix today, I think it's time we try a revival.

The Premise:

As stated above the idea of the competition is for forum users to challenge remixers to remixes of songs/games they request. The remixer than has a predetermined amount of time to produce a remix of said material.

The Plan:

Previously everyone just winged it, and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I've been tossing around in my head a new system that should make the situation better for everyone...

Mixers:

Phase 1 will be mixer sign-up. It will last until next Saturday, and ANYONE wishing to enter may. Be it an established artist or not. Any and all are welcome, and encouraged to enter.

The Challenges:

Following Phase 1, there will be a 1 week period where any forum user can submit challenges. Be it from a game, or a specific song. Challengers MUST include a source tune for reference and ALL CHALLENGERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO NOT PICK SONGS THAT'RE TOO OBSCURE . This is merely a suggestion as the easier it is for a remixer to get a midi, or familiarity with a song, the more likely the finished project will be a quality piece of work. During Phase 2 each user is only allowed 1 challenge. ReMixers already in the challenge are allowed to issue challenges themselves. I reserve the right to reject certain requests.

The Match-Ups:

Once we populate a list of mixers and challenges, a script be create and will distribute the songs to each mixer. There will a few days grace period while we sort everything out, and following that mixers will have 1 month to finish their challenge. In the event that there are more challenges than mixers (which is likely) if a mixer successfully finishes their challenge (COMPLETED a QUALITY remix) then they are free to once again randomly select another song from the pool. The only stipulation is remixers CAN NOT be selected to remix a song THEY requested as a challenge.

Winning:

There will be NO voting. This contest is specifically for remixers to test their abilities as a mixer, and to give users a chance to get their favorite under-remixed song finally mixed. Everyone who completes a quality product is a winner, and every listener wins as well.

Current Status:

• Phase 1 (Mixer Sign-Up, NO REQUESTS): Wednesday, January 23rd - Saturday, Febuary 2nd, 23:59PM EST
  • Phase 2 (Song requests): Sunday, Febuary 3rd - Saturday, Febuary 9nd, 23:59PM EST
  • Phase 3 (Mixing stage):Febuary 17th - March 16th, 11:59PM

Phase III: Mixing

The mixing matches for stage 3 can be found here. At this time artists are UNABLE to re-roll their mixes other than otherwise stated here. You have until March 16th to complete a polished piece of work. If you finish early and want another mix details are here and here.

When your mix is complete it will need to be uploaded to Compo:ThaSauce. This WILL require you to have an account on ThaSauce, and will AUTOMATICALLY LOCK once the mixing stage is over.

You are free to post WIPs of your mixes in this thread, but please do not upload anything but your FINAL WORK to the Compo page.

PLEASE NOTE: Mixer sign-ups AND song requests WILL BOTH BE HANDLED IN THIS THREAD.

The Mixers (61):

• Ramaniscence
  • Mewtation
  • starla (injury)
  • Dyne
  • Theory of Nonexistence
  • Xerol
  • DjSammyG
  • Escariot
  • Suzumebachi
  • Kanthos
  • Da Profette uv Mefeestoh
  • Gecko Yamori
  • HoboKa
  • analoq
  • jmr
  • The Joker
  • Monobrow
  • Flik
  • Fishy
  • V___
  • Arek the Absolut
  • Bahamut
  • pu_freak
  • Another Soundscape
  • bladiator
  • DeathBySpoon
  • Chrono
  • Arglebargle
  • SiMV (ToN's friend)
  • Jaybell
  • OA
  • Neonlare
  • Hemophiliac
  • SnappleMan
  • Ralphis
  • Tricklozen
  • sixto
  • BardicKnowledge
  • ILLiterate
  • Alex Smith
  • Moseph
  • Hylian Lemon
  • Sinewave
  • Oni-91
  • José the Bronx Rican
  • BeleagueredandBeset
  • Flexstyle
  • DJ SymBiotiX
  • Chickenwarlord
  • molto pene
  • OneUp
  • Abadoss
  • Bundeslang
  • Fusion2004
  • PosiBolt
  • LongeBane
  • Audix
  • Hausdog
  • Gimgak
  • DemanusFlint
  • Trenthian

Accepted Match-Ups:

1. Mario & Luigi - Partners in Time: Thwomp Volcano - Exterior (Ramaniscence)
  2. Legend of Mana: Moonlit City Lumina (Another Soundscape)
  3. PoKéMon Red: Silph Co. (Bahamut)
  4. Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers: Zone J (The final level) (Escariot)
  5. TMNT 3 - The Manhattan Project: Theme of Half Shell (Hylian Lemon)
  6. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Surpassing the Wall (Tricklozen)
  7. Ultima Online: Create 1 (Oni-91)
  8. Rocket Knight Adventures: Stage 7 (José the Bronx Rican)
  9. Earthbound: Smiles and Tears (Jaybell)
  10. Final Fantasy IX: Freya's Theme (Theory of Nonexistence)
  11. Pheonix Wright - Ace Attorney: Objection! (Dyne)
  12. Quest for Glory: Erana's Peace (jmr)
  13. Live-A-Live: The Bird Flies in the Sky, the Fish Swims in the River (Da Profette uv Mefeestoh)
  14. Kirby Super Star: Save Area (Chickenwarlord)
  15. Terranigma: Call at a Port (SnappleMan)
  16. Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team (Level 5) (sixto)
  17. Brandish: Tower (BardicKnowledge)
  18. The Maze of Glacious: Castle - Knightmare (Gimgak)
  19. Shantae: Harbor Town (Suzumebachi)
  20. Mystic Ark: Your Fighting Eyes Are Always Beautiful] (molto pene)
  21. Sonic Advance: Egg Rocket Zone, Act 1 (Beatdrop)
  22. Sonic the Hedgehog: Labrynth Zone )SiMV) (ToN's friend)
  23. Mega Man X: Epilogue (V___)
  24. Chrono Trigger: Tyrano Lair (Steffan Andrews)
  25. Metal Gear (MSX): Stage 1 / Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (ILLiterate)
  26. Guardian Legend: Area 3-4 (PosiBolt)
  27. Chrono Trigger: A Shot of Crisis (Fishy)
  28. Donkey Kong Country 2: Island Map Theme (HoboKa)
  29. Final Fantasy IX: Kuja's Theme (The Joker)
  30. Wai Wai World: Final Stage (BeleagueredandBeset)
  31. Super Adventure Island (starla)
  32. Death Jr: Parlor Tricks (Monobrow)
  33. Zelda: Wand of Gamelon: Overworld (Bundeslang)
  34. Wario Land 2: Credits Theme (analoq)
  35. Secret of Evermore: Crustacia (Abadoss)
  36. Star Tropics: Dungeon (Hemophilliac)
  37. Tenchi Souzou: Call to Port (Arek)
  38. Shining Force: Field Map 3 (Flik)
  39. Realms of Arkania 2: FX013 (Fusion2004)
  40. Ken Griffey Jr.'s Major League Baseball: Play Ball! (Track 02) (Gecko Yamori)
  41. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal: Goldenrod City (DJ SymBiotiX)
  42. Lemmings 2 - The Tribes: Medieval Tribe (DeathBySpoon)
  43. Little Nemo - The Dream Master: Dream 6 - The Cloud Ruins (DjSammyG)
  44. Phantasy Star IV: Meet Them Head-On! (Battle Theme) (OA)
  45. Donkey Kong Country 3: Kastle Kaos (Mewtation)

You know, I've been wanting to get into the remixing scene. This would be a great excuse for me to learn the basics...

... If it were held in the summer. You're starting this at the beginning of a college semester, so I can't devote the time right now. :sad: Maybe next time...

I should go see if my Trumpet-playing friend (who is a member here) wants in. Probably won't have time, what with college and DBF going on at once, but hey, it's worth a shot.

i'm in. might as well throw just another thing into the ring for me to work on.

only one catch - it needs to be classical, so that i can use it for grad auditions. whatever you want me to do, it's gotta have enough classical elements so that i can use it in a masters of music: composition degree (fusion, jazz elements, etc are fine, but it's gotta have classical elements). if this disqualifies me... =(

i'm in. might as well throw just another thing into the ring for me to work on.

only one catch - it needs to be classical, so that i can use it for grad auditions. whatever you want me to do, it's gotta have enough classical elements so that i can use it in a masters of music: composition degree (fusion, jazz elements, etc are fine, but it's gotta have classical elements). if this disqualifies me... =(

It won't for now. We'll just deal with stuff on a case by case basis. Like I said before, there's no real "winner" here, it's just a test of your skills, as well as a chance for listeners to get some requests filled. It'd be really unfortunate for us to shut people out who could otherwise make a good mix.

But again: case by case basis.

The History:

Way back in 2002 a forum user, who's name escape me today (sorry if you're still out there D:) ran a 1-shot competition called the Freshly Baked ReMixer challenge. In the thread artists signed up and were assigned challenges posted by other forum users. This is how artists like myself, Suzumebachi, and GLL all got out starts. There were also some other impressive tracks by Disco Dan and a few others.

Some time later the same user did the Second Annual FBRC which, while not as popular as the first one, still saw some solid success.

Since the competition has long been forgotten by most, and seeing all the talent that's on OCReMix today, I think it's time we try a revival.

Wow. It's nice to stumble into a forum you've hardly visited in years and see your self... well, semi recognized. A few of you *might* remember me as "I like cookies" before I changed my user name to Jeff back in '03 or so. IIRC, Fresh Baked 1 was the very first remix competition on OCR, and took place just after the forum moved from wwwthreads. I came up with the idea on a whim. I was tired of seeing all the whiny "SOMBOADY REMIX THIS AWESOM SONG 4 ME?!?!" threads, yet I could see that some remixers liked the challenge of doing requests. So without any clear plan of how it would work I came up with the basic idea of a request competition.

About a year or so later (Sept. 03, according to my pms) when numerous other competitions were underway, I decided to go one better - have a contest with an actual, physical prize. GLL won the day, and got a BSOD t-shirt from errorwear.

After that, the forums got less friendly. I started to visit less and less frequently until I practically stopped altogether, and only popped in when there was a new torrent to download.

So, it's really nice to randomly pop in and see your legacy. :)

Wow. It's nice to stumble into a forum you've hardly visited in years and see your self... well, semi recognized. A few of you *might* remember me as "I like cookies" before I changed my user name to Jeff back in '03 or so. IIRC, Fresh Baked 1 was the very first remix competition on OCR, and took place just after the forum moved from wwwthreads. I came up with the idea on a whim. I was tired of seeing all the whiny "SOMBOADY REMIX THIS AWESOM SONG 4 ME?!?!" threads, yet I could see that some remixers liked the challenge of doing requests. So without any clear plan of how it would work I came up with the basic idea of a request competition.

About a year or so later (Sept. 03, according to my pms) when numerous other competitions were underway, I decided to go one better - have a contest with an actual, physical prize. GLL won the day, and got a BSOD t-shirt from errorwear.

After that, the forums got less friendly. I started to visit less and less frequently until I practically stopped altogether, and only popped in when there was a new torrent to download.

So, it's really nice to randomly pop in and see your legacy. :)

YES! I Like Cookies! I FRICKEN KNEW I'D REMEMBER IT. Best idea for a remix competition ever, imho. KEEPIN' IT ALIVE.