*NO* Silent Hill 3, 4 & 2 'Sepia-Flavored Sky'

Liontamer

I have 0 clue what's going on with this one; that there may be even more sources not listed is annoying; have contacted the submitting artist for the breakdown - LT

I'm sure JJT's already working on getting these mixes up on OCR, but I wanted to submit mine just in case.

Link: http://oneupstudios.com/ep_03.php

Sources:

Lost Carol

Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me

Tender Sugar

Promise (Reprise)

There's probably more, but I'd have to comb through the soundtracks...

Thanks,

Kunal Majmudar

Composer | www.ktriton.com

LT Edit (10/29):

Hey Kunal, can you hook me up with a time breakdown of the source usage for "Sepia-Flavored Sky" ASAP? An email to you bounced since your site is down. Thanks. - Larry

Ask and ye shall receive:

[0:00-0:18] = Lost Carol [silent Hill 3]

From here on out, you'll notice the arpeggiated motif from "Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me" as the backbone for the piece

[0:22-0:45] = Based loosely on Tender Sugar [silent Hill 4]. Also, sirens :)

[0:45-0:56] = Promise (Reprise) [silent Hill 2]

lol, this is really where I stopped paying attention to arrangement and let the piece go off on its own. Almost everything else in the piece has its base in "Tender Sugar". If not, then it's original.

Sorry for the liberal arrangement, Larry, but it just felt right to do it this way!

Dunno whether we'll get this out in time...

This is essentially a 'Tender Sugar' mix with elements from the other source tunes thrown in. With the only consistent link to the source being the tuned noise arpeggiated chord, this may be too liberal. It is worth noting that similar arpeggiation is present in 'Tender Sugar' source as well as 'Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me', it's just that in the latter, the instrument used is tuned noise, as it is in this mix.

From 1.08 up until 1.31 the lack of any lead instrument made me lose interest somewhat. At 1.49 and thereabouts the guitars are very muddy. There are also timing issues throughout the mix.

The main issues are the fact that it is too liberal, I need to hear more from the main source that you are mixing (Tender Sugar); the timing issue.

NO (resub)

Silent Hill 3 Original Soundtracks - (01) Lost Carol & (14) Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me

Silent Hill 4: The Room Original Soundtracks - (101) Tender Sugar

Silent Hill 2 Original Soundtracks - (06) Promise (Reprise)

Thanks to Kunal for getting back to me quickly and giving his take on the arrangement.

I didn't have any performance issues, BTW. I thought everything was performed well, sounded polished and was at a pretty high level of quality.

The intro (:00-:18) is indeed based off of :01-:22 of "Lost Carol".

The :22-:45 area based on "Tender Sugar" (and used much later as well), I'm not seeing any explicit derivation anywhere from that source (great source, BTW). Well, as you said, "based loosely." Gotta treat it as original.

Yep, the only part that really clicked with "Tender Sugar" were the guitar riff first used from 2:05-2:10, used 4 times until 2:27, derived from 1:37-1:44 of the source's chorus.

Can't really hear anything else that may be overtly and explicity derived from the orignals, leaving this pretty far off from the 50% source usage mark I would need to feel comfortable passing this.

Even if a track didn't click with the standards, there's never anything wrong with writing it the way you prefer it. With that said, I would treat this a lot more as inspired by than directly arranging the source material. It's unfortunate I can't pass it, but it's definitely a keeper of a track and a very good reason to check out the Zombies Rocked My Neighbors EP.

NO

Aight. Well, for what it's worth, I liked the track fairly well. The opening riff is straight out of Halo, which is probably intentional, but still amusing.

Um, I listened to this on loop with the sources for like over an hour last night back to back to back to back, and the general impression I got as I listened whilst comparing K's breakdown was that although pretty cool, I was straining to hear connections that were a bit of a stretch at best and awfully tenuous at worst.

I think it should be noted that while we as the enforcers of OCR's submissions guidelines encourage (in a mostly mandatory fashion) that remixers take time to effectively re-arrange and re-interpret source material, there is a fine line between taking creative liberties and going way out into deeply liberal waters. I wish there was a black and white definition of what is acceptable and what is not, but unfortunately, it's always going to have to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If the source tune has a riff that lasts for 6 notes on repeat, then rearranging any two notes means that it's only 2/3s identifiably connected at best. So be careful what you choose to rearrange, folks.

Kunal, this is directed towards everyone--I'm not singling you out or anything.

So yeah. Be sure to keep stuff connected. Otherwise remixes become more like "songs inspired by [source tune]" rather than "[source tune] remixed".

Anyway, again, the track is cool--I'd stamp times, but it's been covered already.

NO